Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Movies about Ancient Egypt - suggestions and opinions...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lost Pharaoh
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Movies about Ancient Egypt - suggestions and opinions... Reply with quote

Can anyone suggest good and interesting movie about Ancient Egypt? The movie could be set in Ancient Egypt, or it could be set in present time but about Ancient Egypt history, monuments and etc. I also would like to hear opinions and "for" and "against" facts about that movies. Thank you in advance.

evarelap
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Movies about Ancient Egypt - suggestions and opinions... Reply with quote

Lost Pharaoh wrote:
Can anyone suggest good and interesting movie about Ancient Egypt? The movie could be set in Ancient Egypt, or it could be set in present time but about Ancient Egypt history, monuments and etc. I also would like to hear opinions and "for" and "against" facts about that movies. Thank you in advance.

Someone needs to produce a Game of Thrones like series set in the 18th dynasty, starting with Hatshetsup as a little kid and ending with Horemheb appointing Ramses 1 as heir.

Imagine the plot discussing things like why Thutmose 3 erased Hatshetsup and whatever happened to Nefertiti, who the younger lady is and why is there an injury to her face, who the kv55 mummy is and whatever happened to King Tut.
Chepses
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Movies about Ancient Egypt - suggestions and opinions... Reply with quote

evarelap wrote:
Lost Pharaoh wrote:

Someone needs to produce a Game of Thrones like series set in the 18th dynasty, starting with Hatshetsup as a little kid and ending with Horemheb appointing Ramses 1 as heir.

Imagine the plot discussing things like why Thutmose 3 erased Hatshetsup and whatever happened to Nefertiti, who the younger lady is and why is there an injury to her face, who the kv55 mummy is and whatever happened to King Tut.

Now, THAT is an excellent idea. Of course, the most amazing thing would be making the dialogues in the ancient egyptian language. It always bothers me when movies or tv series portray ancient civilizations always speaking in English (Spartacus for example). Would watch the series and would love to see Kerry Washington as Hatshepsut. And for her story, Kara Cooney's book would be a goldmine of information! Very Happy
Naunacht
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Movies about Ancient Egypt - suggestions and opinions... Reply with quote

Chepses wrote:
evarelap wrote:
Lost Pharaoh wrote:

Now, THAT is an excellent idea. Of course, the most amazing thing would be making the dialogues in the ancient egyptian language. It always bothers me when movies or tv series portray ancient civilizations always speaking in English (Spartacus for example). Would watch the series and would love to see Kerry Washington as Hatshepsut. And for her story, Kara Cooney's book would be a goldmine of information! Very Happy

I'd like to see it start at the very beginning of the dynasty. In the first season (I'm thinking big here) you have a heroic warrior king who dies a violent death (Seqenenre Tao) fighting a foreign occupying force (The Hyksos), a matriarch (Tetishiri) a dark hero (Kamose) a heroic warrior queen (Ahotep) and a young boy who grows up to drive out the Hyksos and unify the Two Lands (Ahmose) who is aided by his politically savvy sister-wife (Ahmose Nefertari).

In the second season you would have the death of Ahmose and the rise of Amonhotep I along with his military successes and his lack of success in providing his country with a male heir his death and the rise of the general who will eventually become Thutmose I whose rise to power is aided and abetted by Ahmose Nefertari.

Then on to Hatshepsut and Thutmose III and the rise of empire. Fun stuff all! You have political intrigue, sex, violence, religion, magic, incest and an exotic culture which in some ways is recognizable enough to us to feel that we could imagine living there. I'd also like to see plot threads involving less exalted people, perhaps for example, the parents of Senenmut or some of Thutmose III's soldiers to give a feel for the lives of those who were not members of the ancient 1%.

As far as the language thing goes I don't think doing it in Egyptian would work all that well but I'd like to see the use of Egyptian words for geographic terms, titles and other things for which we don't have a really great equivalent for in English and other modern languages.
Chepses
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Movies about Ancient Egypt - suggestions and opinions... Reply with quote

Naunacht wrote:
Chepses wrote:
evarelap wrote:
Lost Pharaoh wrote:

I'd like to see it start at the very beginning of the dynasty. In the first season (I'm thinking big here) you have a heroic warrior king who dies a violent death (Seqenenre Tao) fighting a foreign occupying force (The Hyksos), a matriarch (Tetishiri) a dark hero (Kamose) a heroic warrior queen (Ahotep) and a young boy who grows up to drive out the Hyksos and unify the Two Lands (Ahmose) who is aided by his politically savvy sister-wife (Ahmose Nefertari).

In the second season you would have the death of Ahmose and the rise of Amonhotep I along with his military successes and his lack of success in providing his country with a male heir his death and the rise of the general who will eventually become Thutmose I whose rise to power is aided and abetted by Ahmose Nefertari.

Then on to Hatshepsut and Thutmose III and the rise of empire. Fun stuff all! You have political intrigue, sex, violence, religion, magic, incest and an exotic culture which in some ways is recognizable enough to us to feel that we could imagine living there. I'd also like to see plot threads involving less exalted people, perhaps for example, the parents of Senenmut or some of Thutmose III's soldiers to give a feel for the lives of those who were not members of the ancient 1%.

As far as the language thing goes I don't think doing it in Egyptian would work all that well but I'd like to see the use of Egyptian words for geographic terms, titles and other things for which we don't have a really great equivalent for in English and other modern languages.

You do know you just made a draft of what would be a very good series about ancient Egypt? As for the language, I can see it work, just like Mel Gibson did with The Passion of Christ. With subtitles it could work. Of course, the only trouble would be making the subtitles but I think it would be a very good project. Pretty much like GoT mas with an historical basis. Of course, we would expect some changes in behalf of «plot issues» but overall, I would totally watch it! Very Happy
Naunacht
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Movies about Ancient Egypt - suggestions and opinions... Reply with quote

Chepses wrote:
Naunacht wrote:
Chepses wrote:
evarelap wrote:
Lost Pharaoh wrote:

You do know you just made a draft of what would be a very good series about ancient Egypt? As for the language, I can see it work, just like Mel Gibson did with The Passion of Christ. With subtitles it could work. Of course, the only trouble would be making the subtitles but I think it would be a very good project. Pretty much like GoT mas with an historical basis. Of course, we would expect some changes in behalf of «plot issues» but overall, I would totally watch it! Very Happy

Thanks, I'm a writer, well to be honest an aspiring writer and I've been thinking of this sort of series for a while. I'm working on what I hope will be the final draft of my Hatshepsut novel. It starts with the not totally unexpected death of Thutmose II--with a twist of course--his personal physician discovers he was murdered--goes on through the rise to power and the struggles of Hatshepsut to preserve her father's dynasty and establish her own legacy and ends with the Battle of Megiddo where Isis's son, the young Thutmose III finally overcomes his personal demons and demonstrates his ability as a strategist and leader.

It has plenty of intrigue, sex and violence but also sticks pretty close to the known history--with a few speculative forays of course.
Chepses
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Movies about Ancient Egypt - suggestions and opinions... Reply with quote

Naunacht wrote:
Chepses wrote:
Naunacht wrote:
Chepses wrote:
evarelap wrote:
Lost Pharaoh wrote:

Thanks, I'm a writer, well to be honest an aspiring writer and I've been thinking of this sort of series for a while. I'm working on what I hope will be the final draft of my Hatshepsut novel. It starts with the not totally unexpected death of Thutmose II--with a twist of course--his personal physician discovers he was murdered--goes on through the rise to power and the struggles of Hatshepsut to preserve her father's dynasty and establish her own legacy and ends with the Battle of Megiddo where Isis's son, the young Thutmose III finally overcomes his personal demons and demonstrates his ability as a strategist and leader.

It has plenty of intrigue, sex and violence but also sticks pretty close to the known history--with a few speculative forays of course.

I would totally buy it! Very Happy Does religion play a role on your novel? Smile I'm asking because I'm currently dealing with religion on my Master Thesis and one of the things I enjoy the most is the connection egyptians established with the gods as well as how the cult to them was made (private cult of course, not the one from the temples, reserved for priests only). Still, great story Smile A friend of mine made her Master Thesis on Thutmose III and how he administered the territories of the Levant.

Just write your story and update us all Very Happy
Naunacht
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Movies about Ancient Egypt - suggestions and opinions... Reply with quote

Chepses wrote:
Naunacht wrote:
Chepses wrote:
Naunacht wrote:
Chepses wrote:
evarelap wrote:
Lost Pharaoh wrote:

I would totally buy it! Very Happy Does religion play a role on your novel? Smile I'm asking because I'm currently dealing with religion on my Master Thesis and one of the things I enjoy the most is the connection egyptians established with the gods as well as how the cult to them was made (private cult of course, not the one from the temples, reserved for priests only). Still, great story Smile A friend of mine made her Master Thesis on Thutmose III and how he administered the territories of the Levant.

Just write your story and update us all Very Happy

Religion plays a major role as does magic. All of my characters believe that the gods are real and that they must be worshipped and cared for or bad things will happen and also that they can intervene in a person's life for the his or her benefit.

I'm telling the story from the physician's perspective--this gives me one degree of separation from the major historical characters and someone who is a trained observer of the real world but who also uses ritual along with *** and surgery as tools. (He would be horrified if someone told him that he could lose the mumbo jumbo and just use drugs and the scalpel) His relationship with his goddess, he's a priest of Sekhmet, is complicated--on the other hand he feels it does help him in dealing with Hatshepsut:)

Other characters have a personal relationship with their gods as well. Senenmut believes that Hathor (or is it Mut--he's not sure on that point--he reveres both) had singled him out for great things when he was a child--he did not speak until he was four years old--and then miraculously began to speak with an adult vocabulary and even understand foreign languages. Hatshepsut sincerely believes she is fulfilling the will of Amun--while at the same time rather opportunistically wrapping herself in the god's protection. Thutmose III believes that Montu takes over him when he is in a fight--he almost kills a boy in a wrestling bout--and that he has to learn to control his battle madness. Other characters use ritual and magic, along with more earthly means as tools to get what hey want. Manmade and Natural disasters are interpreted as being due to the gods being angry--peace and prosperity with their pleasure.

All of these things have what we would consider natural causes but the characters interpret them according to their cultural beliefs. It's a tough balance. In some ways I approach it as a fantasy author might--this is the world these people live in. I read a great deal of Mary Renault coming up and she was a master at incorporating cultural beliefs of her characters into her novel while leaving an out for her secular readers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: