Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Royal Egyptians & Piercings/Jewelry

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Royal Egyptians & Piercings/Jewelry Reply with quote

I've been wondering about this, I have several piercings myself and have always been fascinated by the jewelry of the ancient Egyptians, I think they are so beautiful. Regarding the 18th Dynasty in particular, or even the 19th Dynasty into the time of Ramesess II, what was the standard practice of piercing for the pharaohs and the immediate royal family?

From all I've read, it seems that during the Amarna Period for instance, royal boys had their ears pierced, wore earrings until puberty, but then did not wear earrings at all after puberty or in adulthood. But did boys only have one ear pierced? But females had double pierced ears and wore earrings from childhood through maturity, is this correct? Tutankhamun clearly had pierced ears, but if the mask was actually meant for a queen, then that would explain the double pierced ears on the mask.

Also, does anyone know how the ancient egyptians might have done their piercings? It looks as if they used about a medium sized gauge for the holes, and wore dangling hoops. JUst curious what the practice was and what was standard royal boys, girls, men, and women.

I seem to recall also seeing a relief showing Ramesses II as a boy, wearing an earring.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: