Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Factum Arte Replica of the Tomb of Seti I - KV 17

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:23 am    Post subject: Factum Arte Replica of the Tomb of Seti I - KV 17 Reply with quote

Factum Arte is working on a replica of one of the probably most impressive tomb in the Valley of the Kings :

"Facsimile of a section of the burial chamber from the tomb of Seti I"

They also do a scan of the wonderful alabaster sarcophagus that Belzoni took away from the tomb, and now ekes a "cinderella-be-there" in the Soane Museum in London :

"Photogrammetric recording of the sarcophagus of Seti I - Sir John Soane's Museum, London"

Greetings, Lutz.
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Factum Arte Replica of the Tomb of Seti I - KV 17 Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
Factum Arte is working on a replica of one of the probably most impressive tomb in the Valley of the Kings :

"Facsimile of a section of the burial chamber from the tomb of Seti I"

They also do a scan of the wonderful alabaster sarcophagus that Belzoni took away from the tomb, and now ekes a "cinderella-be-there" in the Soane Museum in London :

"Photogrammetric recording of the sarcophagus of Seti I - Sir John Soane's Museum, London"

One query (and forgive me if I missed it somewhere): back in 2002 (while Factum Arte was scanning KV 17 (Seti I tomb)), there was discussion (at the John Soames Museum, in fact) that the total replica of the Seti I tomb, including a "digital sarcophagus" was to take the actual place of KV 17 and it was the replica (not the original) that was to be opened to tourists.

My query: in light of the recent and past work of Factum Arte on this project, is it possible that it is a replica of KV 17, as discussed in 2002, that the Egyptians are opening to the public in the near future?

If so, I would applaud it (though I would disagree with the 2012 decision to mount such a replica in Giza and not the Valley of the Kings), for the original is by no means in good enough shape to open to public viewing.

Have you seen anything that confirms or denies this, Lutz?

Thanks for you response in advance.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Factum Arte Replica of the Tomb of Seti I - KV 17 Reply with quote

neseret wrote:
One query (and forgive me if I missed it somewhere): back in 2002 (while Factum Arte was scanning KV 17 (Seti I tomb)), there was discussion (at the John Soames Museum, in fact) that the total replica of the Seti I tomb, including a "digital sarcophagus" was to take the actual place of KV 17 and it was the replica (not the original) that was to be opened to tourists.

My query: in light of the recent and past work of Factum Arte on this project, is it possible that it is a replica of KV 17, as discussed in 2002, that the Egyptians are opening to the public in the near future? ...

No, it is planned to open the original tomb in the Valley, for a limited number of visitors per day and 1000,- EGP for one ticket. A complete scan / replica of the tomb could not yet be available, in my opinion. In 2002 not the complete tomb was scanned. As I understand it, it was a test (?) :

From page 61 of "The Tomb of Seti I: Digital Technology in Conservation" (Factum Arte, 2002, Spanisch & English, PDF - 13 MB).

Greetings, Lutz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: