Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

will Egyptian god will return to earth?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nikhil
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: will Egyptian god will return to earth? Reply with quote

since 3 years I m harassed by a dream where a person looking like god with long hair and beard and fully made up of light like sun with close eyes telling me to shift to desert and dream ends to middle of three star. this happens almost 4-5 times a week.
at the beginning I was unable to understand its meaning that who is he and what is exact meaning of that dream, latter I able to know its about Egypt and nearby area as sometimes I saw a long river and that three stars meaning would be Egypt as its god having 3 stars on its belt.
I researched about that star also the star where that person goes and dream end that is Alnilam star.
I wanted to know more about that star whether any information about reincarnation about that god?
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attention to moderators: under the rules, should this post even be on this forum?

If so, would it at least be moved to Miscellaneous?

I know in the past we have noted that we do NOT answer posts about people's "dreams." Particularly if it has NOTHING to do with ancient Egypt, as this one does not.
nikhil
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am here to search answer of my questions. I know its a dream as i feel frequent dream definitely contains message.

my question is to Egyptologist who have deep knowledge of Egyptian mythology not for everyone who sitting thousand of miles away from actual heritage with proclaimed egyptologist.

if nobody answer me its OK with me because it makes me sure to get reply from genuine egyptologist as answer to this question is not possible for so called insane egyptologist.
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikhil wrote:
I am here to search answer of my questions. I know its a dream as i feel frequent dream definitely contains message.

my question is to Egyptologist who have deep knowledge of Egyptian mythology not for everyone who sitting thousand of miles away from actual heritage with proclaimed egyptologist.

if nobody answer me its OK with me because it makes me sure to get reply from genuine egyptologist as answer to this question is not possible for so called insane egyptologist.

In general, I'd say you are insulting just about everyone on this list, all of whom have intense and often quite deep knowledge of Egyptology and ancient Egypt. While I will explain why the question is not appropriate to this forum, I do believe you owe the list an apology.

The short answer to you query is that NO god meets your "dream" requirement, either in description, function, or mythology. This is why we don't answer questions about dreams on this forum. Dreams are personal to the individual and it takes someone more in tune with psychology - NOT Egyptology - to work out what they mean, to you.

The Alnilam star = Orion constellation. There is a section of mythology that holds that the Orion constellation is associated with Osiris. However, this god, according to mythology, does NOT reincarnate, for as the god of the dead and the underworld, he remains in a moribund state and judges the deceased who come before him. Even in the "end times" of the world, the ancient Egyptians believed that all gods - including Osiris - returned to the void from whence they came, and in these times, all things - including gods - ceased to be.

In the book, The Death of Gods in Ancient Egypt. An Essay on Egyptian Religion and the Frame of Time, Jane Sellers (1992) postulates to relate astronomical data to Egyptian mythology. She proceeds from the positioning of a marking point by the Prehistoric Egyptians halfway between the extreme positions of the sun in the horizon at the summer and winter solstices. When the sun aligned with this point, together with the reappearance of stars from the constellation of Orion, special celebrations took place. Owing to the precession, the equinox appearance of Orion came to an end about 6700 B.C. This dramatic change, interpreted in terms of death and resurrection, can be traced back in the texts, in which now Orion-Osiris no longer announces the rising sun, but travels in the sun boat. Sun eclipses are at the basis of the myths of the struggle between Horus and Seth, and of the descent of Horus into the Netherworld, presenting the healed eye to Osiris, in order to ensure his eternal (not reincarnated) life.

Otherwise, in the formation of the Osiris cult in the 5th Dynasty, the relationship of Osiris and Isis is an early element and has an astral background: Osiris-Orion and Isis-Sothis, and pertains to the beginning of the Egyptian new year, with the rising of Sirius, which is associated with their son, Horus.

In short, no deity in the Egyptian pantheon "reincarnates" for they never were incarnated to begin with - that is, they never existed in bodily form. The Egyptians themselves did not believe in reincarnation, but rather they believed in the transformation into an eternal spirit after death, which is continually rejuvenated. This is best explained in these works:

Assmann, J. 2001. The Search for God in Ancient Egypt. D. Lorton, transl. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.

Hornung, E. 1982. Conceptions of God in Ancient Egypt: The One and the Many. J. Baines, transl. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.

So, that's all we can tell you about this issue. If you want to know about Orion and/or Osiris, use the above citations. However, this mythology doe NOT meet your dream's specifics and thus is NOT applicable to Egyptology, ancient Egypt, nor, IMO, to this forum.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, wow I did not know that Nesseret. I would have said that the Egyptian Gods did reincarnate. This makes sense to me though what you are saying, eternal life as a spirit being rejuvenated. The scenes of gaining fields in the afterlife seem to be reincarnation to me, but it is really just describing another spiritual world for the Bah, or spirit. Still I think I need to look at some of the books you mentioned. Is there a book with a description of the God going back into the "void" state. The wording of that is what strikes me, that the God goes through death passes back into a void state. If you could tell me what book says that it would be much appreciated, as this subject is interesting to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: