Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New TV Drama Mini-Series "Tutankhamun"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: New TV Drama Mini-Series "Tutankhamun" Reply with quote

A new TV drama mini-series 'Tutankhamun', about the discovery of KV62, with Max Irons playing Howard Carter and Sam Neill as Lord Carnarvon ...

"ITV reveal more details on Tutankhamun mini series" (October 06, 2016)
Quote:
"As announced last year Max Irons and Sam Neill are to star in four-part mini series Tutankhamun, produced by ITV Studios.

“This is a story that’s fascinated me since I was eight years old, which I suspect is something I have in common with a lot of grown-up little boys (and girls) out there. Beyond the sheer romance of buried treasure and a three-thousand-year-old mystery, though, there’s a different tale – of courage, tenacity and relentless self-belief.” – writer Guy Burt

The drama is based on the story of Howard Carter (Irons) and his discovery of the tomb of one of Ancient Egypt’s forgotten pharaohs, the boy-king Tutankhamun. Sam Neill takes the role of the dashing and eccentric Lord Carnarvon who keeps faith with Carter and continues to back his expeditions when no one else will. Further cast includes Catherine Steadman, Amy Wren, Jonathan Aris and Rupert Vansittart. ..."

"Row over lust in the dust : ITV drama featuring a fictitious love affair in Tutankhamun's tomb upsets Egypt adventurer's great-grandson Lord Carnarvon" (Mail Online - Chris Hastings, 24.09.2016)
Quote:
"... Now the amazing story is set to enthral the public again in a lavish four-part ITV drama – but the addition of an entirely fictitious affair between Carter and Carnarvon’s teenage daughter has brought a furious response from the earl’s great-grandson.

In the drama, Carter – played by heart-throb Max Irons, 30 – is shown passionately kissing Lady Evelyn Herbert, who was with her father, played by Sam Neill, in Egypt. ...

... The romantic storyline has disappointed historians and the current Lord Carnarvon. ‘There was no romance between Carter and Evelyn.

It just didn’t happen that way,’ he told The Mail on Sunday.

And Lady Carnarvon added that far from there being romance, relations were strained: ‘He was very intellectual and she was a young girl. She was 18 and having fun.’

Francis Hopkinson, Tutankhamun’s producer, admitted the affair was ‘based on speculation’. ..."

Trailer : "Tutankhamun | Coming Soon | ITV".

Greetings, Lutz.
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that sounds interesting. Hope it is better than the Spike mini series.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that sounds interesting. Hope it is better than the Spike mini series.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the first episode of the new series yesterday and failed to be impressed.

Why the location shooting was not done in the Valley was a disappointment, the scenery was nothing like the real thing. Trees and shrubs for goodness sake! Although a brief glimpse it also looks like they had a bit of trouble working out the correct flag for the period, much as in the Poirot episode The Adventure of the Egyptian Tomb. Ouch.

And why both Theodore Davis and Lord Carnarvon were shown with beards baffled me. Surely someone could have looked at a few photographs to see that.

However things might improve so I will hold off final judgement until I have seen all four episodes. Not really a good start but the Flinders Petrie sketch was quite funny.
A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly the series has failed to improve on the first episode.

It seems to me as if those involved with this project used the finding of KV62 as a convenient peg to hang a ridiculous story about Carter's association with Evelyn. There's greater emphasis on so called "romantic interest" than with the actual story. Episodes have been swapped around. For example Carnarvon and Evelyn were, according to the series, present at the discovery of the steps rather than arriving from the UK after the famous coded telegram. The opening of the tomb was also out of sync. with real life and wildly dramatised. Given the significance of that part of the story I was really let-down by the way it was handled.

In short a missed opportunity and one that goes to show how good the BBC's 2005 series was in comparison.

It has attracted no end of critical comment on IMDB. So far most people seem to be as disappointed with the series as I am.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Germany you read or hear nothing to the series. This was different with the work with Ben Kingsley as King Aja. Very quickly we had also a German version on the screens...

Greetings, Lutz.
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
Here in Germany you read or hear nothing to the series.

You don't know how lucky you are, Lutz. The series was terrible. Just terrible. It's sad to know this after the first 15 minutes, BTW.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a very short review in the current issue of the "Ancient Egypt Magazine" (99 - 12/2016 & 01/2017) ...

Quote:
On page 5, "From the Editor" (JPP) :

"... Tutankhamun – in Fiction and Fact

Viewers of ITV1 in the UK cannot fail to have noticed the series utankhamun that has been prominently scheduled at prime time on Sunday evenings, concluding on 6th November. It purported to tell the story of the discovery of the pharaoh’s tomb in 1922, and indeed the basic facts were there – the dramatis personae and the sequence of events – but this was certainly not an historical documentary. It was a highly romanticised version, which quickly developed into a love story between Carter and Lord Carnarvon’s daughter Lady Evelyn Herbert (erroneously called Evelyn “Carnarvon”), an unlikely pairing for which there is little historical evidence.

I expected to find many discrepancies with reality when I did my duty as your Editor by watching it, and was not disappointed.

Already in the first episode, Carnarvon is shown arriving in a reasonably accurate version of Old Cairo, but then apparently enters an hotel there. He would of course have lodged at Shepheards; similarly in Luxor he apparently remains at the dig house rather than staying at the Winter Palace (see left) which is the only place in Luxor that could have accommodated such an aristocratic guest. He then travels, in his Rolls-Royce(!), to Amarna, where, in the background, standing monuments are visible, including the columns (see below left) very recently reconstructed by Barry Kemp.

The problem with all this, of course, is that from now on this version of the Tutankhamun story will be the one that will be remembered by the majority of its viewers; but, setting that aside, there may well be some for whom it will trigger an abiding interest in Egyptology. ..."

Greetings, Lutz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: