Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to learn to read heiroglyphs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: How to learn to read heiroglyphs Reply with quote

I was hoping some of you would be able to help me out with information on how to go about learning how to read egyptian hieroglyphs, like some books that could help and some general information about different dialects if there are any from different time periods...
thanks
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good start for beginners is, I would think...

Mark Collier / Bill Manley : How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs - A Step-by-Step Guide to Teach Yourself. London: British Museum Press, 2008. - ISBN : 9780714119106. - IX, 179 p., ills.

Greetings, Lutz.
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks yea I will definitely look into that. I am wondering now about pronunciation, do you think it there is somewhere to learn the pronunciation of this ancient language? I don't really know much about the language in general, was it just one?
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pronunciation can in the end not really be reconstructed, only indirectly (Mesopotamian cuneiform tablets, Coptic).

It was "just" one, but with stages of development over the 3000 years. The Egyptology differs Old, Middle and New Egyptian. These three variants of course build on each other. They correspond to time about the Kingdoms (Old, Middle, New). The so-called "high" or "literature language" is Middle Egyptian.
During the last phase of ancient Egyptian history, after the end of the New Kingdom, we speak of Late Egyptian and Demotic, from which the Coptic developed. In this last stage the Greek letters are used (with a few additions) instead of hieroglyphics. Coptic has several dialects and is now used almost exclusively in church liturgy. The approximately 10 % of Christian Copts in Egypt speak Arabic in everyday life.

Basis of scripture are of course the well-known sacred signs, the Hieroglyphs. These are also used over the entire period of history. In addition, in the administration and in the private sector a write-font-shape of this characters is used, the so called Hieratic. You can think about this as we have today also a print and a hand-writing form. Demotic then also appears in the font. This is a still further abstracted version of the Hieratic characters, very difficult to read, only a few Egyptologists can it really fluently. Here you can certainly still acquire merits... Cool

That's it, very roughly and with security not free of inaccuracies, because only from memory.

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In German, but not really difficult to understand ...

"Internetplattform für die Wissenschaft von den hieratischen Handschriften des Alten Ägypten - Entwicklung des Hieratischen"

Greetings, Lutz.
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I don't read German, I never learned it.
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dzama923 wrote:
Oh, I don't read German, I never learned it.

As Lutz indicated, it not that difficult - particularly as there are online translation engines available.

If you wish to know about pronunciation of ancient Egyptian, the best place to start is this work:

Loprieno, A. 1995. Ancient Egyptian: A Linguistic Introduction. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

This work discusses the various types of languages of the Afroasiatic family of languages, of which ancient Egyptian is a part. This should describe the various sounds of the language, the lack of vowels (and how such sounds are otherwise achieved), etc.

HTH.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I am going to let that sit for awhile. I think I am up to doing the translating. Is there a book that teaches the hieratic translation, and if so what about the demotic translation?
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dzama923 wrote:
... Is there a book that teaches the hieratic translation, ...

Georg Möller : [http://www.***/lang.htm#Moeller]Hieratische Paläographie - Die Ägyptische Buchschrift in ihrer Entwicklung von der Fünften Dynastie bis zur Römischen Kaiserzeit[/url]. - Leipzig : Hinrichs, 1909-1912. - Band 1-3.

Georg Möller : Hieratische Lesestücke für den Akademischen Gebrauch. - Leipzig : Hinrichs, 1909-1910. - Heft 1. - Heft 2-3.

That these are still the standard works, is probably the circumstance that they are currently translated into English by Tom Stableford :

"Translation of Georg Möller's works on Hieratic".

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.***/lang.htm#Moeller

Replace the " *** " in the link through "egyptology" and "." and "ru" , then he should work ...
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dzama923 wrote:
... I am wondering now about pronunciation ...

Carsten Peust : Egyptian Phonology - An Introduction to the Phonology of a Dead Language. - [Monographien zur Ägyptischen Sprache 2]. - Göttingen : Peust & Gutschmidt, 1999. - ISBN : 3933043026. - 365 p., tables.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: