Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Writing of the nebti-name

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pre-dynastic Egypt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Writing of the nebti-name Reply with quote

Hello !

One of the five names of Pharao, which were lent to him with its coronation, is the nebti name.

It usually begins with two groups of hieroglyphs : either Vulture and Cobra (for Upper and Lower Egypt) or the White and the Red Crown,
in each case on the " Neb " - sign (Gardiner: V30).

Enclosed an illustration with the unusual combination Vulture and Red Crown ( 1 & 3 ) :

( Wilkinson : Early Dynastic Egypt. - London, 2006. - p.219 )

Does someone know perhaps further examples of this kind (animal and crown in combination) ?

Gratefully for each reference !

Thanks, Lutz.
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lutz, the link to the image is broken. I have seen the combination of crowned animal in the sacred eye hieroglyph: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjr2b6C1Y_RAhWD8CYKHeY4BVEQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.alamy.com%2Fstock-photo-pectoral-of-the-sacred-eye-from-the-tomb-of-the-pharaoh-tutankhamun-16082237.html&psig=AFQjCNGBmpUV8LukNwbnwYyPRiZQyHE9-w&ust=1482766216607265
I believe this was Tutankhamen's protection. I have heard various interpretations of the symbols, as there is no writing it is hard to know what it was used for exactly, unless it was written about, but we can see that each animal is wearing a crown. I don't think this pertains to predynastic Egypt, but that wasn't specified if that was what you were looking for. Hope this helps.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question from 2007 (!) was not about crowned animals / hieroglyphs showing an animal with crown on the head. The existence of such was already known to me in 2007...

It was about a very special part from the royal titulatur, the so-called "Five Great Names". To be precise, about the so-called "Two Mistresses" or "Nebty" name. This name begins with / is introduced by vulture and snake on a baskets, or by white and red crown on a baskets. In both cases it is a symbol for the two countrys or also the crown goddesses, Nechbet (Upper-) and Wadjet (Lower-Egypt).

Only on two labels from the 1st Dynasty I saw a combination of both, vulture and red crown on baskets :

(Toby A. H. Wilkinson : Early Dynastic Egypt. - London / New York : Routledge, 2006. - p. 219)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pre-dynastic Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: