Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

QV 66 - Nefertari & KV 17 - Seti I to Open for Public

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:45 am    Post subject: QV 66 - Nefertari & KV 17 - Seti I to Open for Public Reply with quote

"Nefertari and Seti I tombs to open for public" (Luxor Times, 08.06.2016)

Quote:
"... The ministry of antiquities decided to open the two tombs of the father and wife of Ramses II to public for 1000 Egyptian pounds per person.
The decision is expected to be affective from 1st of October as the tourism season usually starts."

So far: "Egypt - Special Fees for Sites" .

Greetings, Lutz.
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: QV 66 - Nefertari & KV 17 - Seti I to Open for Pub Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
"Nefertari and Seti I tombs to open for public" (Luxor Times, 08.06.2016)

Quote:
"... The ministry of antiquities decided to open the two tombs of the father and wife of Ramses II to public for 1000 Egyptian pounds per person.
The decision is expected to be affective from 1st of October as the tourism season usually starts."

So far: "Egypt - Special Fees for Sites" .

I'm not clear why the fees have been so drastically increased for sites such as Horemheb (KV 57), Amenhotep II (KV 35), Amenhotep III (KV 22), and Thutmose III (KV 34), which are in relatively good shape, and not under major restoration requirements. However, I also think that by increasing the fees to such an exorbitant amount, you will further reduce travel by tourists to Luxor - something which the area cannot withstand at the moment.

If anything, the SCA needs to either encourage tourism by lowering fees on some tombs, and spend money made from such fees on restoring those that need it most.

My

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: QV 66 - Nefertari & KV 17 - Seti I to Open for Pub Reply with quote

neseret wrote:
Lutz wrote:
"... So far: "Egypt - Special Fees for Sites" .

I'm not clear why the fees have been so drastically increased for sites such as Horemheb (KV 57), Amenhotep II (KV 35), Amenhotep III (KV 22), and Thutmose III (KV 34), which are in relatively good shape, and not under major restoration requirements. ...

The in this list called prices are valid for the periods in which the objects are temporarily or generally not open to the public. The visit of these tombs also requires a pre-registration at the SCA in Cairo.

KV 57 - Horemheb and KV 34 - Thutmose III for example were open in 11/2015 & 03/2016 for visit with the normal "VoK & 3-tombs-ticket". KV 35 - Amenhotep II is closed since a longer period now. KV/WV 22 - Amenhotep III was, as far as I know, never open for "normal" visitors.

The pyramid of Unas at Saqqara (first time Pyramid Texts on the wall) was closed since 1996. She is now again open for daily visitors of the necropolis without special pre-registration, and for sure not for 1000,- USD for groups (1-10).

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Tombs of Nefertari and Seti I in Egypt's Luxor to reopen to visitors" (Ahram Online - Nevine El-Aref, 09.06.2016)
Quote:
"... The tombs in Luxor will re-open in a month's time, and tickets will cost EGP 1,000 (approx. $113).The number of visitors is to be limited to around 100 to 150 people a day.

“This decision was taken in an attempt to attract more tourists to the valleys and Luxor after the decline of tourism that hit Egypt following the January [2011] revolution,” Minister of Antiquities Khaled El-Enany told Ahram Online. ...

... The chairman board also approved a 75 percent reduction on all books published by the ministry, in order to increase archaeological awareness among Egyptians. ..."

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Even More Info on the Luxor Pass" (Jane Akshar - 27.11.2016)

Quote:
"... What does it cost, where can I buy it, how can I pay for it, how long does it take to get the pass? ...

... There are 4 versions of the Pass:

• The Red Pass:
Gives you access to all the museums and (open) tombs in the Luxor area, including (about 10-15 minutes) access to the tomb of Nefertari (QV66) and the tomb of Seti I (KV17) [KV17 without time limit]

• The Blue Pass:
Same as above, but without access to Nefertari and Seti I tombs

• The Yellow Pass (For students only):
Gives you access to all the museums and (open) tombs in the Luxor area, including (about 10-15 minutes) access to the tomb of Nefertari (QV66) and the tomb of Seti I (KV17)

• The Green Pass (For Students Only):
Same as above, but without access to Nefertari and Seti I tombs.

All Luxor Passes have a validity of 5 CONSECUTIVE days.

What does the Luxor Pass cost:

The Red Pass: U$ 200,-
The Blue Pass: U$ 100,-
The Yellow Pass: U$ 100,-
The Green Pass: U$ 50,- ...

... To purchase a Luxor Pass, you will need a passport photograph and a photocopy of your passport details page. ...

... from the Public Relations Office in the Luxor Inspectorate, which is behind the Luxor Museum on the east bank of Luxor, behind the Museum. The office is open 9:00 am to 4:30 pm each day, Monday to Friday. ...

... In Cash only. Although the tickets are priced in US Dollars, Mr. Ahmed Khalifa told us, that they accept Euros too. The Red Pass (U$ 200,-) will cost you € 180,-. If you do the math, the following prices would apply (although these can be different, depending on the exchange rate $ - €):

The Red Pass: € 180,-
The Blue Pass: € 90,-
The Yellow Pass: € 90,-
The Green Pass: € 45,- ...

... The pass will be made on the spot, so it shouldn’t take more than a couple of minutes. ...

... paid for in US Dollars or Euros. You CANNOT pay in Egyptian Pounds or any other foreign currency. ... NO possibility to pay with Credit or Debit Card ...

... Students have to bring their University pass ..."

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:19 am    Post subject: Luxor & Annual Visitor Pass discount Reply with quote

"Ticket discount at Ancient Egyptian Sites for Holidays, Through January" (Ahram Online - Nevine El-Aref, 26.12.2016)
Quote:
"... Egypt's antiquities ministry has announced a 20 percent discount on passes allowing access to archaeological sites around Egypt over the Coptic Christmas period and New Year, and through the month of January.

The discount, which apply to the Luxor Pass and Annual Visitor Pass, are aimed at encouraging more foreign visitors to visit Egypt and celebrate the feast and New Year at archaeological sites, Minister of Antiquities Khaled El-Enany told Ahram Online. ..."

Greetings, Lutz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Travel All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: