Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hatshepsut

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luciangrey
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject: Hatshepsut Reply with quote

Hello everyone i'm new to the group and kind of a amateur when it comes to my knowledge of ancient egypt but the topic of queen hatshepsut during the 18th dynasty and what fate befell her constantly plagues my mind i saw a documentary that they found her body but why was her complete existence and all evidence regarding her wiped out? if someone could help me with this i would greatly appreciate it that way i can further my studies (aspiring to become an archaeologist) thank you in advance Smile
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good start would be, I think ... Roehrig / Dreyfus / Keller [ed.] : Hatshepsut - From Queen to Pharaoh. - New York / New Haven : Metropolitan Museum of Art; Yale University Press, 2005. - ISBN : 1588391736; 0300111398. - XV, 339 p.
Quote:
"... Essays by leading Egyptologists investigate the circumstances that allowed or compelled Hatshepsut to become king; the relationship between Hatshepsut and Thutmose III during their joint reign; powerful figures in the royal court, particularly Senenmut, Hatshepsut's architect and steward; Hatshepsut's adoption of the Egyptian conventions of royal representation in order to bolster her legitimacy, as well as her use of architecture to make political statements; and her successors' motivation for obliterating her memory. ..."

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the most recent reflection of the subject is found in...

Betsy M. Bryan : Episodes of Iconoclasm in the Egyptian New Kingdom. - In: Iconoclasm and Text Destruction in the Ancient Near East and Beyond - OIS 8. - 2012. - pp. 363 - 394.

Especially to Hatshepsut see pp. 365 - 369 and the extensive literature list with further recommendations.

Greetings, Lutz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: