Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HARRYS TRIP TO EGYPT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So very sorry, Harry... Embarassed

Feel free to visit my site in construction:
-- www.enks.net --
HARRYMON
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing this has all gone a bit monty pythonesque,im confused.biting butterflies,infantry sheep,mounted something ,all very strangemthot someone had put acid in my corn flakes there. Shocked
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't your face have melted then? Eh?
I know... weak joke...

Just a question: how's the Nile? Smile
I mean, is it really as filthy as is said?
Or could u feel free to take a dive?
Probably not, with the current and certain reptiles...
Still, izzz it sssafe?

-- www.enks.net --
HARRYMON
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the nile looks fine,no smells,fresh water obviously so no saline stink,and you see all these egyptian kids swimming in it waving to you and playing away as they have for millenia,but there is a nasty bug called bilharzia that the locals must be immune to but i have been warned is very dangerous to us sanitized westerners,you are not meant to swim,paddle or anything in the nile altho it looks fine.even more so up at the old british and the new high dams it looks great,very fresh but again you are warned not to do it.apparently this bug is a result of the building of the high dam
also there are no crocodiles on the upper side of the high dam upwards,but when we were there,there was great excitement as the first croc in 100 odd years had just been sited living amongst the small islands of the aswan area.
in luxor in my second week a local woman commited suicide by throwing herself off of the local ferry ,that was on the wednesday,and her body had still not been recovered by the following week,the theory being that her body would have sank and been covered by sand and silt churned up by the cruisers.an interesting sidenote to this tragic event was that the local police were looking at charging her husband with being an abusive husband because they reckon it must have been so bad that the woman took her own life.suicide is very rare amongst egyptian woman according to my friend from qurna.
but swimming def.not reccomended.
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a sad story... glad to hear the husband is getting investigated though.
I've read of this Bilharsiasis-bacteria found in Roman age mummies.
There was a list of about 200 of em, found near the Fayum.
Some 160 of em had it. Smile

You were lucky, I see.
6ft3 high Scotsmen...
Every croc's diner-dream...

-- www.enks.net --
HARRYMON
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it really is an amazin sight the nile,it is sooo huge,no tv prog can do it justice till you get there.on the drive from the airport we passed luxor temple,that was an amazin feelin,but i wasnt prepared for the buzz wen i got in to my room on the boat and opened the curtains to see the river ,it was amazing,i was moved to tears.nothin on the holiday was a dissapointment or a let down
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man...
Sounds like heaven...
Crying or Very sad

-- www.enks.net --
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like your entire trip was pretty spectacular.
If giving advice, what are the must see and must do experiences though?

I'm still daydreaming once in a while about going to egypt, and would like to have some idea of the "best parts".

I will probably only be able to go about 10 days - 2 weeks or so.
HARRYMON
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well,to give you an overall view of the most spectacular sites,with all the added comforts,cruising the nile for your first week as i did is just about the best introduction that you can get.i know people might think it to touristy,but if it is your first time,maybe your only time then you will see all the major sights,v.o.k.deir el bahri,edfu,kom ombo,philae,denderah,luxor,karnak,and more,with all the entrance fees included,a guide,the comfort of the boat and a spectacular way to see the country as you glide up and down the nile.then you could go for the week in luxor as i did,or 3 days in cairo,and 4 days in luxor.its all down to what you want to see and your budget.i did mine for£800.00.which is pretty damn good,in that it included single room supplements.i was £2500.00 last year for a crappy self catering holiday in the canaries for 2 adults and two kids,so that kind of puts it into perspective for me.of course it depends were you are starting out from as well.it looks kind of expensive doin it from the states or canada.my wife and kids were in canada when i was in egypt and her relatives thought we must be rich,far from it,we just book a year in advance and work to pay it off.thats the only way i do it.and i have a very average wage in britain,below averagee apparently.but if you want something badly enough you do it.go for your dreams.
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HARRYMON wrote:
cruising the nile for your first week as i did is just about the best introduction that you can get.i know people might think it to touristy,but if it is your first time,maybe your only time then you will see all the major sights.

That sounds really like what I think of it: cruises do seem "touristy" to me.
But then again, you did see so much more than I've ever seen already. Smile

-- www.enks.net --
HARRYMON
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as i said,it is touristy in a way,but it was a great introduction to the country.especially if you are travelling alone.on our boat the people you sat with for dinner on the first night were the people you sat with for the week.now that was okay for me as i met 6 great people,but if you are sitting with ignorant bores or heavy drinkers it could be a bit much.on the excursions it was all very well organised.but you didnt need to stay with the guide.once there ask the guide what time to meet back ay the coach,and off you go yourself.i personally feel the first week was excellent value and informative enough,without being too touristy.i was happy with it.the second week was fun,off i went to the winter palace and did my own thing,over on the local ferry to the west bank and just grab a taxi,they look after you brilliantly,i cant stress enough for anyone worried about safety or security,it was the safest i have felt anywere in the world,and i include my home town in that.
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... now that means a lot coming from a Braveheart-descendant. Really, I've heard stories about really really really friendly taxi-drivers. Still, it's different hearing it from you as well. The people who worked on the ship: were they native Egyptians? Just wondering...

-- www.enks.net --
HARRYMON
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all the staff on the boat were egyptian,the only european on the boat was usually the holiday rep.the staff were brilliant.you got to know your cabin boys,the waiters the dining room staff,they were a pleasure to know.they couldnt do enough for you.they could certainly teach other countries a thing or two about service.most of the guys on the boat were the same people year after year.the friends i got to know were on the same boat for the sixth year in a row,and the guys remembered them.very ,very nice people.the food was amazing,i have never eaten so well.and in the second week when 4 of us went to gamals,a guide that they had known for a few years, house in new qurna for a meal with his family the hospitality was unlike anything i had ever experienced.
HARRYMON
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on a different note,regarding "friendly"egyptians,in aswan i was walking with my friend roman,when we were approached by this very suave looking egyptian aged about 25,who wanted to know if we wanted to go to a party,i was laughing before he was even finished asking and roman innocently asked him "what kind of party",to which he replied "very priv
ate".i left it at that and said i didnt think my wife would appreciate me going to private parties,later on that night,after midnight ,the same guy stopped us again and asked us if we had changed our minds!10 out of 10 for persistence.but again,a confident "la shukran"and walk on.
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hèhè. Smile
what exactly does "la shukran" mean?
"No, thanks" or something?

-- www.enks.net --
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Travel All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: