Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sphinx Unearthed at Karnak Temple

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Sphinx Unearthed at Karnak Temple Reply with quote

"Sphinx Unearthed at Karnak Temple" (Cairo Post - Rany Mostafa, 05.12.2014)
Quote:
"CAIRO: A limestone statuette of a Sphinx has been unearthed during a routine excavation north of Luxor’s Karnak temple complex, according to Abdel-Hakim Karar, director of the Upper Egypt Antiquities Department, Friday.

“The 60-centimeter tall statue was discovered to the east of the sanctuary of the temple of God Ptah, one of the four main temple enclosures that make up the immense Karnak temple complex,” Karar told The Cairo Post Friday. ..."

For the work on the Temple of Ptah at Karnak see also...

C.Thiers / P.Zignani : The Temple of Ptah at Karnak. - In: Egyptian Archaeology 38. - 2011. - p. 20 - 24.

Greetings, Lutz.
A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads-up Lutz.

Now I may be considered to be out of order here but reading that the sphinx was discovered during a "routine excavation" worries me.

As a former archaeologist there is to me nothing routine about an excavation. You dig when you have to, as a last resort and only if all other avenues of examination have been ruled out. Archaeology is by its very nature a destructive operation. Think what the situation would have been if Theodore Davis had stumbled upon KV62. I can imagine KV55 writ large, a terrifying thought.

No, in my opinion it is best to leave stuff in the ground unless there are overwhelming reasons to excavate. It will not deteriorate or lose its context.
Having said all that there might be very good reasons why this area was excavated but should never be "just routine".
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A M Street wrote:
... Now I may be considered to be out of order here but reading that the sphinx was discovered during a "routine excavation" worries me. ...

In English-language articles in Egyptian newspapers must always be borne in mind that they are usually translated from the Arabic original ... As you can read in the article in "Egyptian Archaeology" (which I have linked) the work on this temple inside the walls of the Karnak complex is ongoing, for many years now. I would say this is what they mean with "routine excavation"...

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The found is now also published on the page of the CFEETK – Centre Franco-Égyptien d'Étude des Temples de Karnak...

"Discovery of a sphinx statue at the temple of Ptah"
Quote:
"Archaeologists from the French-Egyptian Centre for the Study of the Karnak Temples (CFEETK, MAE/USR 3172 CNRS) discovered Thursday, December 4, 2014 the statue of a sphinx as part of the study programme of the temple of Ptah at Karnak led by Christophe Thiers (CNRS). ..."

With an imressive video from the objekt in situ.

Greetings, Lutz.
Urassaya07
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: