Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opening of the mouth & Hours of the night
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is interesting I never heard of them using a blade or harpoon for the opening of the mouth. I saw a picture of an implement that seemed to be carved of wood, it looked like a cross between a snake and a spoon, that they used for the opening of the mouth.
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dzama923 wrote:
That is interesting I never heard of them using a blade or harpoon for the opening of the mouth. I saw a picture of an implement that seemed to be carved of wood, it looked like a cross between a snake and a spoon, that they used for the opening of the mouth.

The ahnetjer (Manuel de Codage transliteration: /aH-nTr/) depicted as an adze-like instrument, was used in the Opening of the Mouth ceremony, intended to convey power over their senses to statues and mummies.

An adze was a cutting tool shaped somewhat like an axe that dates back to the stone age. It can be any tool with a sharp cutting edge. Adzes are used for smoothing or carving wood in hand woodworking, similar to an axe but with the cutting edge perpendicular to the handle. Of the two types (hand and foot adzes), the ancient Egyptians generally used the hand adze, particularly in the symbolic "opening of the mouth" of the deceased.

See:

Blackman, A. M.1924. The Rite of Opening the Mouth in Ancient Egypt and Babylonia. JEA 10/1: 47-59.

Gillam, R. 2005. Performance and Drama in Ancient Egypt. Duckworth Egyptology. London: Duckworth.

Helck, W. 1984. Schamane und Zauberer. In I. d'Égyptologie, Ed., Mélanges Adolphe Gutbub: 103-8. Montpellier: Publication de la Recherche - Université de Montpellier.

HTH.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: