Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Heart?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheErrantWilder
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: The Heart? Reply with quote

A friend and I were talking about mummification and we disagreed on whether the heart was removed during the mummification process or whether it was left inside the body. I know it was an important part of the body but was it left in or not? Either way would make sense to me Laughing He also disagreed with me that the brain was removed, which I was sure it was taken out.
Can anyone give me the true process in which the Pharaoh's were mummified?
Did it change over time or stay much the same?

Thank you!

The girl in my avatar is me, age ten.
Ankhetmaatre
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a site that discusses the process step by step; http://www.ancientegypt.co.uk/mummies/story/main.html
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the heart is taken out, as well as the brain which comes out through the nose.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dzama923 wrote:
Yes, the heart is taken out, as well as the brain which comes out through the nose.

With such general statements I would be a little more cautious ... After all, we talk about 3000 years, you have to reckon with changes, "work in progress".

For example, we know from the 11th Dynasty examples in which the heart was taken out, wrapped and placed back into the body. On the other hand, the bodies of the women who were buried on the site of the Tomb / Memorial Temple of Mentuhotep II in Luxor (and thus quite from the elite if not royal descent) were obviously not opened. Liquids, which dissolve the internal organs, were introduced through the orifices of the body.

In the New Kingdom we find the heart usually in the body. But here too, there were obvious exceptions. See among others ...

Zahi Hawass / Sahar N. Saleem : Scanning the Pharaohs - CT Imaging of the New Kingdom Royal Mummies. - Cairo / New York : The American University in Cairo Press, 2016. - ISBN : 9789774166730. - XVIII, 318 p., 113 figs, 33 tab. - Page 227 :

It is similar to the brain. Here, a tendency towards extraction is evident for the second half of the 18th Dynasty. But as I said, a general statement is not possible for the entire history of Ancient Egypt, not even for a single Dynasty...

Greetings, Lutz.
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing a canopic jar, that looked like a simple clay pot. They used it for placing the heart in it. It was inscribed with a spell for protection.
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got confused with a canopic jar and heart amulet. It is the heart amulet I was talking about, and there does not seem to be a heart canopic jar. Just the four canopic jars that are the four sons of Horus protecting the internal organs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mummification All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: