Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the afnt head cloth

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Padese
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: the afnt head cloth Reply with quote

hi all,
any suggestions for a reference on the 'afnt' head cloth. i tried Aigyptos, jstor and BIFAO online but found nothing on that topic.

thanks.
EgyptianRose
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quickly researched the afnt head cloth for you and it automatically came up with the Egyptian Dreams site with your question held underneath, which leads me to ask you a question... what is a 'afnt' head cloth?
It is of course the hieght of irony that, after this intensive campaign to expunge them from the annals of Egypt, the Amarna pharaohs are today probably the most recognized of all the country's ancient rulers!

Quote 'Amarna Sunset' by Aidan Dodson.
Padese
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very well then..... the afnt was one of the royal head gear in ancient Egypt, similar to the nms and the khat headdress. it does, however, have a different shape.

hope this helps.
EgyptianRose
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew afnt was some style of headdress worn by the Ancient Egyptians, I just couldn’t find any relevant sites which I believed would help you, though I went to one of my trusting websites and found a site which has information on various crowns (headdress’s), It also includes the afnet headdress which I think is the one you are looking for Wink

Arrow http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/crowns2.htm

Hope this helps. Smile
It is of course the hieght of irony that, after this intensive campaign to expunge them from the annals of Egypt, the Amarna pharaohs are today probably the most recognized of all the country's ancient rulers!

Quote 'Amarna Sunset' by Aidan Dodson.
Aset
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See also

Arrow Pharaonic crowns -> Khat or Afnet headdress

Arrow Khat (or afnet)
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your help is much appreciated. as a matter of fact i was looking for references that could be cited in a publicaiton.i.e. articles. Smile
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandra A. Collier : The crowns of pharaoh - Their development and significance in ancient Egyptian kingship. - [Los Angeles, Calif., Univ. of California, Diss., 1996]. - Ann Arbor, Mich. : UMI, 1996. - XIII, 288 p., ill.

Lynda Green : Crowned Heads - Royal Regalia of the Amarna & Pre- & Post-Amarna Periods. - In: Amarna Letters - Essays on Ancient Egypt, c. 1390 - 1310 BC - 4. - San Francisco : Kmt Communications Inc., 2000. - pp. 60 - 75.

Greetings, Lutz.
Padese
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Lutz..
pharaohthumb

I have also found an article on the khat headdress which is sometimes associated with the afnt.

Marianne Eaton-Krauss, "The Khat Headdress to the End of the. Amarna Period," Studien zur altgyptischen Kultur 5 (1977) pp. 21-39.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padese wrote:
... Marianne Eaton-Krauss, "The Khat Headdress to the End of the. Amarna Period," Studien zur altgyptischen Kultur 5 (1977) pp. 21-39.

I have this one as PDF. Its around 2 MB. If you send me your e-mail (PM) ...

Greetings, Lutz.
Padese
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've checked

Sandra A. Collier : The crowns of pharaoh - Their development and significance in ancient Egyptian kingship. - [Los Angeles, Calif., Univ. of California, Diss., 1996]. - Ann Arbor, Mich. : UMI, 1996. - XIII, 288 p., ill.

very useful... so thanks again Lutz ....much appreciated.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynda Green : Crowned Heads - Royal Regalia of the Amarna & Pre- & Post-Amarna Periods. - In: Amarna Letters - Essays on Ancient Egypt, c. 1390 - 1310 BC - 4. - San Francisco : Kmt Communications Inc., 2000. - pp. 60 - 75., page 65:
Quote:
"... The afnet or khat is a type of headcloth which modem scholars often call a "bag wig." It is derived from the head coverings worn by winnowers in harvest scenes, or by mourners. It is affected not only by both kings and kings' chief wives, but also by goddesses, in particular Isis and Nephthys. However, in the latter instances there is no uraeus attached at the brow, although a symbol for the deity (a throne in the cases of Isis) is usually perched atop the headcloth. The use of the khat by royal women first appears during the Amarna period, and seems to be associated with their increased political and religious status. Unlike the nemes — strictly a king's headgear — it is not usual to see the khat in combination with other diadems. On the Karnak colossi of Akhenaten, the king wears the Double Crown directly atop his khat. At El Amarna Nefertiti is depicted with the hemhemet crown surmounting her afnet. ..."

(Just a test for the new scanner and OCR text program ... Cool )

Greetings, Lutz.
Padese
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant.... Very Happy
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I was wondering about the headdresses worn for special occasions. I forget the name of it in english, there is a translation, which I forgot. It seemed to be a sort of headband or halo or turban, worn at the sixth of the month. Anyone know what it was?
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because seemingly neither you nor I know what you mean ... I can only refer to the already mentioned literature.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Homework Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: