Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Travel of the life-time - ideas please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lost Pharaoh
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Travel of the life-time - ideas please Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Me and my girlfriend are planning the trip to Egypt, and I have a idea to make that trip very special for her on the first place and for her also - the trip of the life-time. I want to be a guide through Egypt for my girlfriend, and the idea is that I for us to visit archeological places in order of their appearance through history - like a following a timeline of rise and fall of Ancient Egyptian civilization. For all this visits to archeological places I will be well prepared in sense of knowing as much as I can about that place and its history, and also some interesting "hidden" places and little known facts.

For example, I suppose that I should start this lifetime journey by visiting the Abydos and tombs of first Egyptian pharaohs, then I would move to the Sakkara, etc...

What I really need is your help me to make order of the places that I should visit, and what I should see. Of course, I know that I cannot show her or visit every possible place in 3000 years of history of Egypt, and also I know that not all places are available for visit, so I ask only for most important places which can be used to make a story and the journey of the lifetime for me and my girlfriend.

Thank you in advance for all suggestions and ideas. I am very excited. Smile

P.S. Don't bother yourself about how many days I will stay in Egypt, I will plan staying by the suggestions you give.

A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I think that you may be biting off more than you can chew with this plan. There's a lot of Egypt to cover and you would be zig-zagging from one end of the country to the next.

Having said that what you see is now largely up to you and your wallet. Most places to visit are not that expensive but if you are looking to visit the likes of QV66 prepare to dig deep.

A few places you should consider are Medinat Habu, the best preserved pre-Ptolemaic temple that is, strangely, not on a lot of itineraries. Second you should try and get to Philae, as good a site as you will find in Egypt, the boat ride does add to the experience. Then there is Abu Simbel. A stunning site which when you are there you soon forget that it has been cut into pieces and winched up the cliffs.

Finally if you really want to cover the whole of the history of Ancient Egypt consider the various sites along Lake Nasser. This usually means a three or four day cruise, well worth it if you can afford it. I really loved the trip myself.

Oh! and don't write off Alexandria for the Ptolemaic and Roman periods, they might be scattered around but you would need to include them if you want to have any claim to inclusivity.

I have for various reasons left out sites such as the Pyramids. Karnak, St. Catherine's Monastery and so on.

Good luck and do let us know how you get on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Travel All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: