Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cleopatra's pleasure ship

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:01 am    Post subject: Cleopatra's pleasure ship Reply with quote

Anyone heard about Cleopatras pleasure ship? Apparantly it was covered in gold. I saw a documentry on Cleopatra and the ship had huge stone columns on it and was massive. Saw another show about Caligula and how he tried to emulate the extravagance of the Ptolemic Pharaoh's by building one on a small lake near Rome.

2000 years later Moussolini drained the lake with an ancient roman duct and found the ship at the bottom of the lake! It was incredibly preserved and massive! But unfortunately was burnt down in WW2. They are making a life size reconstruction though in the future. Funny how all these ancient artifacts manage to survive thousands of years and then are destroyed in an instant by us modern society.

Does anyone know if any of these ships have been found in Egypt?
Historydiva
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Cleopatras pleasure ship Reply with quote

I saw that documentary on Cleopatra's grand ship. Did you see the advancment in technology they used on both Cleopatra and Caligula's Ships? They were very advanced people. I do not believe they have found a ship like that in Egypt as of now, But who's to say they won't sometime soon. Smile
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not heard or seen the doc on Cleo's ship, but I did see something on those Roman pleasure boats. The only thing 'Egyptian' about them though is that one of them was dedicated to/was a floating temple to Isis. Tthey were used on a lake dedicated to Diana. The amazing thing about these ships is that they show that the Romans used ball bearing technology centuries before ball bearings were thought to have been invented.
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the largest ever built was for Caligula to use on Lake Nemo. It sunk during a storm on the lake but was brought to the surface in the 1930's and by all accounts it was really amazing! Unfortunately, we do not have it anymore. Popular opion has it destroyed by the Natzi's, but actually it burned in a bombing raid by the Allied forces. I understand a replica is in contruction now.
The ancient's ship-building skills are really amazing--much more so than has been thought.
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how big her pleasure ship was? I have a feeling it must have been around 1-4 hts.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T. W. Hillard : The Nile Cruise of Cleopatra and Caesar. - In: The Classical Quarterly 52-2. - 2002. - pp. 549 - 554.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

" Search Begins for Roman Emperor's Legendary Party Ships " (Live Science - Rossella Lorenzi, 16.05.2017)

Quote:
Italian researchers are about to reveal whether a volcanic lake in central Italy hides one of the legendary "orgy ships" of Roman Emperor Caligula. ...

... two wooden ships, one measuring 230 feet in length, the other 240 feet, were first spotted at the bottom of the lake in the 15th century. They were finally brought to light in the late 1920s under Italian dictator Benito Mussolini, who ordered the lake to be partially drained.

Unfortunately, nothing remains of the ships, as they were torched under mysterious circumstances. ...

... Rumors persisted about Mussolini leaving behind a third, 400-foot-long pleasure vessel.

To solve the boat mystery once and for all, authorities in Italy have mounted an in-depth search, which involves researchers from the Environmental Protection Agency of Calabria, Carabinieri divers of Rome, Port authorities of Fiumicino, Rome, and ISPRA, the Italian National Institute for Environmental Protection and Research. ...

Greetings, Lutz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: