Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Sphinx = Sekhmet
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vicstar
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: The Sphinx = Sekhmet Reply with quote

[color=darkred]Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum and came across it when I entered the words 'ankh em maat' into Google

I am posting a burning question that I have

Has anyone thought that the Sphinx may be a representation of Sekhmet?

The body of a Lion, the head of a man (or in this case woman) originating from a time when the Goddess has much more influence and presence on the Earth plane. Many have tried to harness this power and claimed it for their own, what better way then to deface her original glory and put the image of a male ruler upon her and call it a homage to the might of a king

I am passionate about Sekhmet in predynastic Egypt and see there can be much evidence pointing to this being so. After all we are all but interpreters of a reality that we are looking to from a completely different time and place.

Breathe into your heart and see how this sits before you answer, don't just sprout out evidence that is presented by someone who wrote a book and has declared themselves an expert who's opinions and findings have been is influenced by dynastic Egypt propaganda

Answer with the knowledge of your heart

thanks forum people, looking forward to your thoughts

Vicstar[color=d
arkred][/color][/color]
kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably true that The Gret Sphinx was re-carved in antiquity- the current head is smaller than you would think for a body that size. But Sekhmet was slown with breasts, and there's no evidence this area of the Sphinx was re-carved or altered in any way.

AFAIK, only Bastet and Mafdet can be identified from the Pre/Proto Dynastic Eras. The earliest mention I can find of Sekhmet is from a 2nd Dynasty ceiling stele from Helwan.
Vicstar
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting work Kat, thanks for the reply.

I hadnt taken into account the whole breast thing, being the horizontal position of the Sphinx, but I like the reasoning.

In my connection with Sekhmet, I have always thought of her as pre-dynastic in her unadulterated form, however I am thankful for what you have presented me with to ponder.

I have a line of thought about Goddess worship in the pre-dynastic times and that Ra (from then) is in fact a feminine energy. (both Sekhmet and Hathor and often referred to as the 'Eye of Ra' so I always have thought of it as a manifestation of an aspect of the Goddess.

In fact, the Sun was thought of as feminine in much of ancient worship. It appears that the first time the Sun was referred to as masculine was in the time of Ancient Greece, when the army worshipped what was then a little known god called Apollo.

As they began conquering the neighbouring lands, to lay claim and power over the people, they claimed that their much revered goddess was merely a consort of Apollo - that he was the power and he was in fact the Sun. As they grew in might, so too did Apollo and his stature and so the suppression of the Goddess began and she was relegated to the representation of the moon, the home and hearth.

I think that when the dynastic Egypt came into existence, the patriarchal energy had taken hold and so the Goddesses were relegated to consorts, parts of triads or keeper of charms and fertility and the male gods were the ones who had the power and might
Vicstar
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also like to add to my reasoning, that I see the pyramids as chambers of initiation and stargates. I think that the Sphinx is connected with this and is like a guardian of initiation.

Although I think of Anubis as the original shaman or psychopomp, I think that Sekhmet represented the Goddess in the form of Fire, which during initiation is what you are striving to awaken and pass through.

So I think, with the pyramids being much older then 4,000 years - they were around when the energy of spirituality and worship tended towards the feminine and the great mother was the protector and nourisher of all.
kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, Vicstar- you are free to believe what you like, but as I've said before, New Age ideology often isn't compatible with real Egyptology.
Vicstar
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the New Age is just another dogma, a lot of wishful thinking and a lot of people who know a whole lot about nothing.

I am talking about the metaphysical nature of things here - a totally different thing.

I had hoped I would connect with people who were interested in exploring the deeper meaning of what the Ancients left behind, not closed minded people who read a lot of books that re-hash old and tired theories that are based on as much supposition and assumption as the supposed New Age rhetoric they so easily dismiss
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far be it for me to dismiss any metaphysical leanings, but this is a board that discusses accepted Egyptian history.
You pan those who read and accept theories that are researched and shown to be true by countless years of study--a process that you plead to be used when looking at metaphysical subjects. Shouldn't the same be shown erudite studies?
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re is a demonstrably male force; the spelling of his name from earliest times makes that clear, as do his close connections with Atum.

I would have to agree with kat that Sekhmet did not have a large presence in prehistoric and early historic times. In fact, if I remember correctly, Sekhmet is not attested until Dynasty 5, late in the Old Kingdom. This is not to say the goddess did not exist prior to Dynasty 5; she probably did, but the general absence of evidence denies her prominence before that time.

I cannot dismiss the possibility that the head of the Sphinx was once different, but I'm not certain that I'm convinced by the argument. The unusual proportions of the head might result from nothing more than how much the architects had to work with in the first place. It also bears mention that a king's head atop a lion, bull, or other virile animal was a common royal motif throughout the ancient Near East.

Visit my blog!
Bud-Hotep
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Sekhmet/Sphinx Reply with quote

Reply to VicStar:
I once wrote a sci-fi novel in which the protagonist became entangled with a past-probable-self living in ancient Egypt c. 4200 BCE. I portrayed the Sphinx as having breasts because, in part, the Sphinx was a time-marker denoting the boundary between Virgo and Leo during a much earlier era. I considered identifying the Sphinx with Sekhmet, but didn't want the time-marker aspect to get overshadowed. I also postulated a twin female Sphinx located on or near the 30th parallel in the Sinai which the protagonist also encountered in a dream.
Here's a small blurb from that novel:
--------------------------------------
Stuart spoke, "What does the part about the Sphinx mean? Was the text referring to the Sphinx at Giza? I don't see how that could be."
Parkehouse leaned back in his chair. "The archetypal Sphinx is female and typically comes in pairs, which causes me to wonder about the one at Giza. I never really believed it carried the likeness of Khufu. Accordingly, I am forced to conclude that it probably originally had the breasts and facial features of a woman."
Stuart interjected, "But wasn't there some kind of base or shelf for an obelisk or something where the breasts ought to be?"
"Yes, but this feature could easily have been carved from the existing stone tits at a later date. I also place a completely different interpretation on what the Sphinx really is. It might well be a time or date marker . . ."
"All right, let's think about it for a moment. What historical time device has divisions named after animals and people?"
Stuart thought a moment. The significance began to dawn. "The Zodiac, at least the lion part."
"And what of the woman part?"
"The only thing that even remotely fits is Virgo."
"Good, good." Parkehouse thumbed through a large book on the kitchen table until he found the proper page. "Now, take a look at this photograph of the Zodiac from the Temple of Hathor at Dendera and tell me what else you observe."
Stuart studied the Zodiac, trying to ignore the gleam in Parkehouse's eye. "Well, Virgo and Leo are adjacent to each other."
"Exactly. Don't you find that an interesting coincidence?"
"Yes, I guess so," admitted Stuart. "But these are just seasonal— Wait a minute! The Zodiac figures also precess with the equinoxes. Let's see— we're supposed to be at the end of Pisces now. So, if each Zodiac figure stands for 2160 years, then Pisces, Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, and Virgo all added up would take us back to what?— 13,000 BCE or so." Stuart glanced up at the professor's bemused smile. "But that doesn't tie it down very closely."
"That's what makes the Sphinx being half one figure and half the other so interesting." Stuart's eyes blinked wide open. "It's half and half because it's the boundary between Virgo and Leo!" blurted Stuart, suddenly pleased with his own inferential capacity. "However, if that's the case, I would expect to see Leo in front and Virgo behind."
"Wouldn't that be a lovely sight," chuckled Parkehouse.
"So, when was the end of Virgo and the beginning of Leo?"
"About 10,800 BCE."
"So, what happened about 10,800 BCE worthy of a time marker?"
Parkehouse wrinkled his forehead. "Perhaps that's when the Great Pyramid was built. Perhaps it marked the era of the great flood . . . or the end of the Ice-Age."
"I found several references in the text to a second Sphinx located near the thirtieth parallel, which is the boundary between the way of Enlil and the way of Anu. This Sphinx supposedly faced west toward the Sphinx of Giza, which faces east. How far west of Giza it was located I can only guess, but I suspect it lies buried somewhere in central Sinai."
---------------------------------
Master and initiate approached the concealed passageway at the paw of the ancient Sphinx, her voluptuous breasts and strangely beautiful face hidden in the shadows. Sham-Ra stared at the stone beast-being. "What is the name of this . . . this creature with the woman's, uh . . . front?"
-----------------------------------
Okay, I've taken up enough print-space.
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Yes, but this feature could easily have been carved from the existing stone tits at a later date.

Stone tits, indeed Laughing

I like that....

Wink

http://styler78hatshepsutproject.blogspot.com/

Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like this? http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_MryQii-dvu8/RbJKXQau6jI/AAAAAAAAAGI/PEZqOI-bpfw/s400/Never%2BEnding%2BStory%2BSphinx.jpg

Before I forget, it's from a fairy tale movie for kids: "The Neverending Story", but was this what you guys had in mind?

Whatever you do watch out for those eyes Wink
[i][b][color=#0080FF]Toth[/color][/b][/i]
ptahoriginals
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:08 am    Post subject: the sphinx of ancien Egypt Reply with quote

The ancient Egyptians star dated everything,the whole of the civilization was based on Universal dualism, ( Radiation and Light ). you must take astrology and astronomy into account, the sphinx was carved in the image of a Lion. Meaning Astrologically and Astrologically that it was erected in the age of ( Leo ). Each age has 2132 years that called a Despensation, one Great Year takes 26000 years. So if we count back the ages since the carving of the Sphinx, we can actually give the age of the Sphinx to be 6,770years old, and yes there are legends that describe how the Goddess Sehk-Met was unleashed upon mankind because they no longer believed in the laws of Maat and the Gods and Goddesses,so that Universal dualism, may also apply with in your question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone reading this theory for the first time - i must mention that the Sekhmet theory is not new. It is one of the many theories which have sprung up over the years (including Anubis being named).

There is a lot of information over the net where some agree and some do not, but i am afraid that the mysteries surrounding the sphinx may always just be mysteries, unless datable evidence is found which talks of the time of the carving of the sphinx- and the intended likeness to a god or pharaoh.

I believe Wiki has hit the nail on the head with:
Quote:

The origin and identity of the Sphinx are the subject of many fringe theories that are not generally accepted by mainstream Egyptologists or are unsupported by scientific evidence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Sphinx_of_Giza

However, with that said - a lack of real information can create great discussions. Many of which will end with a dead- end.

Stuart

http://styler78hatshepsutproject.blogspot.com/

Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m afraid we will never know. The terrain around the sphinx has been thoroughly excavated, but still even to the present day new founds are done on the Gizeh plateau.

Last year they discovered the remains of protective walls surrounding the sphinx.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is an interesting point of discussion about the sphinx. I would say it may be possible to be a representation of an aspect of sakmet, both the sphinx and sakmet embodying an aspect of a lion. Though I have never seen a representation of a God with human head and animal body, besides the sphinx. Nefertum is close to this idea being a human head with the body of the lotus bush. Most of the animal god's features are the animal heads, sometimes feathers. There are sometimes different representations however, as their role changes. An example that comes to mind is Thoth represented in human form as a scribe, not as an ibis or baboon. I have not seen sakmet depicted with a human head. It could very well be Tefnut, since she also is a lioness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Sphinx All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: