Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Djed of Osiris question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davep
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:12 am    Post subject: Djed of Osiris question Reply with quote

Question
I'm reading this book "Thou Dust" ISBN 0973425202, and part of it discusses the god Osiris and an interpretation of the djed. The author shows the djed is a symbol of the dna molecule, but to do this he tells us that the lower section of the djed is partitioned into 7 sections, which he says is the correct way to represent the djed. I'm wondering where this idea came from. I've looked around at various pictures of the djed and find they vary alot. It is true that some djed drawings show 7 sections in the lower part, but the vast majority don't even have sections in the lower trunk of this pillar. Perhaps someone can direct me to some source that discusses this djed better. In the book I'm refering to http://www.timefoot.com/isbn/0973425202/dust2.html the author doesn't tell us where the idea came from, but perhaps someone here knows?

davep
Jan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Davep - welcome to the board. Smile

I've never read the book you mentioned but I did some research for my Egyptian symbols page:

www.ancientnile.co.uk/symbols.html

Quote:
In the book of the dead the djed pillar is described as Osiris' backbone and seems to have come to represent stability. Other gods that have been associated with it are Sokar and Ptah. It was at Memphis that probably the ceremory known as, Raising the djed pillar was first carried out by Pharaoh, which represented the stability of the monarchy and the resurrection of Osiris. The best depiction of this act is in the Osiris Hall at Abydos.

Hope this helps. Smile

It's very quiet on the board at the moment - looks like everyone is doing their Christmas shopping! (Not even started mine yet!)
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busy, busy, busy... Crying or Very sad

Welcome to the board davep Smile
almostascribe
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to the 'A Concise Dictionary of Middle Egyptian' by R O. Faulkner. the word djed means stable and enduring.
davep
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I didn't know about djed in the Osiris Hall at Abydos. Does anyone know why the djed represents 'stability'? The author gives a perfect explanation of why in the text but this depends on his interpretation of the djed as dna. Are there any other sources that present alternative views on how the djed came to represent the idea of being stable and permanent?

davep
Hatshepsu
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have no idea about any of this.. but i wanted to say welcome to the board Very Happy .. hello!

x0x0
Serena Wink
Djehtinefer
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Djed Pillar is associated with Ptah, Sokar and Osiris, and is a hieroglyphic sign translated as meaning stability. As for the sections in the lower half of the djed pillar, this as far as I can remember is from architectural feature of columns and pillars. At the transition of the capital to the shaft, five bands might be found representing the lashing which held together the bundle of stems of which the earliest columns were made.

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/djedpillar.htm
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is interesting. It is open to everyone's interpretation what these things mean. Though popular opinion is usually correct. I would say the DNA theory is far fetched, and I would like to know where they go their sources for that. Most of these ascertations come from writings at the time. I don't know how much writing on papyri were collected, but it must have been a lot. What the Egyptian's thought about DNA would be interesting.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dzama923 wrote:
... What the Egyptian's thought about DNA would be interesting.

What should they think of something they did not know it exists?
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of the Egyptians knowing microbiology, and biochemistry, was to me an amusing idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: