Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Donald Beaman 42 books of Thoth?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Donald Beaman 42 books of Thoth? Reply with quote

Has anyone heard of a Donald Beaman, he is supposed to have complied the 42 books of Thoth, from what I read, which to me would be an interesting study. If anyone has heard of him, and could point me in the direction of where to find his information or published works that would be great. Thanks.
-Diego
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far the only thing I have been able to find is the obituary of Donald Beaman, which says he was an egyptologists, that he conducted visits to Sakkara, and that he made a series of paintings called the Egyptian tarot.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dzama923 wrote:
So far the only thing I have been able to find is the obituary of Donald Beaman, which says he was an egyptologists, ...

Where and when did he study Egyptology and get a degree?
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This quote from the obituary doesn't make clear what he was teaching, but my guess it was art. "A scenic artist, Don received his BFA and MFA from Carnegie Tech in Pittsburgh, PA. He taught at Carnegie Tech, Penn State University, and - for 26 years - at Boston University." - See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/bostonglobe/obituary.aspx?pid=172348842#sthash.VsWC3LOf.dpuf
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did not answer my question ...

In the Egyptological bibliographies and library catalogs accessible to me, no publication is listed under its name. A visit to Saqqara to get inspired for tarot-card motifs makes certainly not an Egyptologist out of him.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the Ancient Egyptian source for Hermetics, Hermes Trismegistos and in the end also all this New Age stuff ("42 books of Thoth") ...

Richard Jasnow / Karl-Theodor Zauzich : The Ancient Egyptian Book of Thoth - A Demotic Discourse on Knowledge and Pendant to the Classical Hermetica. - Wiesbaden : Harrassowitz, 2005. - Vol 1: Text, XX, 581 p., ill. - Vol 2: Plates, X p., 67 pl. - ISBN : 3447050829.
Quote:
"The composition, which the editors entitle the "Book of Thoth", is preserved on over forty Graeco-Roman Period papyri from collections in Berlin, Copenhagen, Florence, New Haven, Paris, and Vienna. The central witness is a papyrus of fifteen columns in the Berlin Museum. Written almost entirely in the Demotic script, the Book of Thoth is probably the product of scribes of the "House of Life", the temple scriptorium. It comprises largely a dialogue between a deity, usually called "He-who-praises-knowledge" (presumably Thoth himself) and a mortal, "He-who-loves-knowledge". The work covers such topics as the scribal craft, sacred geography, the underworld, wisdom, prophecy, animal knowledge, and temple ritual. Particularly remarkable is one section (the "Vulture Text") in which each of the 42 nomes of Egypt is identified with a vulture. The language is poetic; the lines are often clearly organized into verses. The subject-matter, dialogue structure, and striking phraseology raise many issues of scholarly interest; especially intriguing are the possible connections between this Egyptian work, in which Thoth is called "thrice-great", and the classical Hermetic Corpus, in which Hermes Trismegistos plays the key role. The first volume comprises interpretative essays, discussion of specific points such as the manuscript tradition, script, and language. The core of the publication is the transliteration of the Demotic text, translation, and commentary. A consecutive translation, glossary, bibliography, and indices conclude the first volume. The second volume contains photographs of the papyri, almost all of which reproduce their original size."

Greetings, Lutz.
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 42 nomes of Egypt and vulture sound similar. Yet there was a reference to Donald Beaman collecting and compiling the 42 books of Thoth from writings he found in Egypt.
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found them, the forty-two books of Thoth , Donald Beaman. They inspired his work on the "Tarot of Saqqara", which is out of print. You can buy the book(s) from this guy Dan Shaw, by writing to him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: