Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Antikythera

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject: Antikythera Reply with quote

The Antikythera Mechanism is an amazing thing. Dated to circa 60 BC it's an astronomical computer. The Greek authorities are going to start a search to see if they can recover more of the missing pieces. They have about 50% of it at the moment.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/09/14/archaeologists_and_robots_on_hunt_for_more_antikythera_pieces/
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Incredible to think we had been using similar technology that was based on similar mechanical principles to those seen here in the Antikythera for all those thousands of years, up until very recently when Turing ushered in the digital age.

Incredible that this ancient technology is more sophisticated than comparable modern timing devices made by us.

Anyway thanks for posting this! I wonder if they will find anything more relating to this.
starlion
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrismackint wrote:
Interesting. Incredible to think we had been using similar technology that was based on similar mechanical principles to those seen here in the Antikythera for all those thousands of years, up until very recently when Turing ushered in the digital age.

Incredible that this ancient technology is more sophisticated than comparable modern timing devices made by us.

Anyway thanks for posting this! I wonder if they will find anything more relating to this.

This is the best documentary I have see on this amazing device:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZXjUqLMgxM
Chrismackint
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sophistication of the Antikythera, and it's relevance as the forerunner to all the advanced technology used today, is simply mind-blowing...I'm speechless.

The Antikythera is a clear and tangible example of how everything in nature has a mathematical base and can be modelled through machines using mathematical principles.

I think the Antikythera is an effective real world example of a practical mathematical application that relates to nature, that is relevent to everyone.

Thankyou so much for the link!
starlion
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrismackint wrote:
The sophistication of the Antikythera, and it's relevance as the forerunner to all the advanced technology used today, is simply mind-blowing...I'm speechless.

The Antikythera is a clear and tangible example of how everything in nature has a mathematical base and can be modelled through machines using mathematical principles.

I think the Antikythera is an effective real world example of a practical mathematical application that relates to nature, that is relevant to everyone.

Thank you so much for the link!

You are very welcome that is a great documentary, some of those calculations are quite mind boggling on their own, such as the accurate prediction of eclipses, makes me wonder just how much knowledge we have yet to re discover.
A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update from the re-excavation of the Antikythera site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-29557384

It appears that they have not located any more of the Mechanism but what they have recovered looks interesting.

I'm most impressed with that new space-suit type diving rig they are using, looks like something from a James Bond film.
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this machine is astounding, given the age it was made in. Surprises a lot of scientists and people that this type of precision timing device was made thousands of years ago. I think they believe it could only be made by one person who had the know how at the time, Archimedes the mathematician. It was fun to learn about this machine with my mom. Archimedes dies at his own will, drawing circles in the ground, while a soldier stabs him. Whether or not he build the antikythera is still unknown. Nice machine though none the less.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexander Jones : The Antikythera Device – A Working Model of the Cosmos. - ASOR - The Ancient Near East Today 10. - 2017.

Quote:
All cultures create models of the cosmos in words and images; the ancient Greeks were the first to make a mechanical working model of the cosmos.

In the spring of 1900, a group of Greek sponge divers en route to their usual diving grounds off North Africa chanced upon the site of a shipwreck dating from about 60 BCE off the small island of Antikythera, between Crete and the Greek mainland. For nearly a year, the divers labored with assistance from the Greek navy and archeological service to recover objects from the wreck, including bronze and marble statues, fine quality glassware, and other high-end items; in other words, a commercial cargo of luxury goods from cities of the Aegean and eastern Mediterranean, heading for markets in Italy or elsewhere in the western part of the Greco-Roman world. ...

Alexander Jones : A Portable Cosmos - Revealing the Antikythera Mechanism, Scientific Wonder of the Ancient World. - Oxford : University Press, 2017. - ISBN : 9780199739349. - 312 p., 41 b/w illus., 41 b/w line drawings.

Greetings, Lutz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: