Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Sphinx = Sekhmet
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dzama923 wrote:
... Though I have never seen a representation of a God with human head and animal body, besides the sphinx. Nefertum is close to this idea being a human head with the body of the lotus bush. ...

Where would you have seen such a representation of the god Nefertum? And, to save time, the well-known wooden figure from the tomb of Tutankhamun is not a representation of the god Nefertum. It identifies the young king with the sun god Ra, who was born from out of the ur-lotus, on the ur-isle (creation myths of Iunu / Heliopolis).

The earliest secured piece of evidence for Sakhmet is from the 5th Dynasty. It is a relief from the temple of king Ni-User-Ra in Abusir (see LÄ V - 1984 - Sachmet - Col. 324-325, Note 36 & 37).

The most representations show her with the head of a lioness and the body of a woman. The "Lexikon der Ägyptischen Götter und Götterbezeichnungen" (2002, Vol. VI, p. 556) mentions only a single representation from the Greco-Roman Period, in which the goddess appears as a lamentation woman with human head (and body).
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, ok. There is a picture accompanying the spell, "For being transformed into a lotus" showing a hieroglpyh of the lotus bush and human's head coming out of it. This papyrus picture was in the Book of the Dead. I assumed it was Nefertum. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard H. Wilkinson : The Complete Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt. - London : Thames & Hudson, 2003. - ISBN : 0500051208; 9780500051207. - 256 p., figs., ills. (some colour). - Page 26 - 29 :

I have only the German edition as book, and the English edition only as a scan in this not so perfect quality. But I think it is readilable ...
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, this is interesting to me. It seems like the only anthropomorphic body of an animal is the lion.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dzama923 wrote:
... It seems like the only anthropomorphic body of an animal is the lion.

No.

Even if the shape of animal body with human head is certainly rare, there are also other examples. We see "Osiris, numerous of faces" sometimes with the body of a crocodile and human head (Coffin of Ank-rwtj, LP - 4th century BC, see Petrie, Hawara, Biahmu and Arsinoe, 1889, p. 21, Pl. II, today in Cairo and a small statue in Budapest, Museum of Fine Arts 51.329).

Also Sobek could be worshiped in this form (Nfr-rnpt, 19th Dynasty, TT 336, P.Brüssel MRAH E.5043). There are certainly other examples, if one searches ...
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I had never heard that or seen Osiris depicted that in this way. I have seen a little statue in the MET of a crocdile body with a falcon head.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Sphinx All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: