Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Major Discovery in the Great Pyramid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ikon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Major Discovery in the Great Pyramid Reply with quote

Results of the "Scan the Pyramids" project have been published today. They show a large void above the Grand Gallery. This void is about the size as the Grand Gallery in cross section and has a minimum length of 30m. There is no information about the orientation of this void in relation to the Grand Gallery or how far above it is. This publication is rather skimpy and I'm sure will be fleshed out later with some graphics so we can better see hos this looks in relation to the known structures in the Great Pyramid.
https://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaap/ncurrent/full/nature24647.html
Unas
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw an article on this...very interesting indeed. I saw a cross section graphic that showed the void was near one of the King's Chamber shafts, but I don't suppose the void would be accessible in that way.

I know they sent those little robots up the Queen's Chamber shafts...did they ever do this with the King's Chamber shafts?
Ikon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they did the King's chamber shafts as well, and nothing found except that both bend a some point along their course.

On this void there are dissenting voices already, chief among them being Zahi Hawass who said that it is not a void but a change in construction materials. The Scan Pyramids team refuted this in a teleconference with Hawass before publication. Mark Lehner has proposed that this void serves the same function for the Grand Gallery as the relieving chambers do for the King's Chamber. I would note that nobody has ever previously stated that the Grand Gallery would need a relieving chamber. It's so strongly corbelled that I cannot see that it needs some form of protection above it. This void does not fit in with Houdin's internal ramp theory either as it is not around the inner surface of the pyramid. Though of course it may well be a construction ramp, just one not imagined before. I'm sure we will be well entertained by all manner of theories for some time to come....
Unas
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm sure we will be well entertained by all manner of theories for some time to come....

Yes, and that's the disappointing part. No way to really know, and no evidence that the void is something worthy of a destructive exploration method. It could very well be nothing important at all.

(...on the other hand maybe this is Khufu's hidden treasure room! Laughing Laughing )
Unas
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On this void there are dissenting voices already, chief among them being Zahi Hawass who said that it is not a void but a change in construction materials. The Scan Pyramids team refuted this in a teleconference with Hawass before publication.

I have heard suggestions previously that sand was used in some areas of the pyramid to "fill in" gaps around blocks. However in this case, that would seem to be a lot of sand.
Ikon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of sand that over time would gradually work it's way downwards and into other voids, and so possibly cause an internal collapse of the pyramid above a void this big if it were filled with sand.

I wait to see if this void is sloped, as Lehner suggests, or horizontal. I think a sloped void could be a form of structure outside of a "treasure chamber", while a horizontal void will be somewhat more interesting....
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

" Secret Chamber ? Cosmic Rays Reveal Possible Void Inside Great Pyramid " (Live Science - Stephanie Pappas, 02.11.2017)

" In Photos : Looking Inside the Great Pyramid of Giza " (Live Science - Owen Jarus, 02.11.2017)

The original scientific publication...

Kunihiro Morishima, et al : Discovery of a big void in Khufu’s Pyramid by observation of cosmic-ray muons. - In: Nature - advance of print. - 2017. - 18 pp.

Greetings, Lutz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: