Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ptolemaic Egypt made real in a game

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ikon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Ptolemaic Egypt made real in a game Reply with quote

This is trivia really, and I'm sure for some old news even now.

However, I thought I would mention the game recently released, "Assassins Creed Origins". It's an adventure game set during the time of Cleopatra VII, and as it's a game it has various features that are specifically for a game, and of course to cater for the expectations of those who play games. Though what they have done is to recreate Egypt at that time in such detail that for those not otherwise interested in games it will be of interest I think.

Memphis, Krocodilopolis and Letopolis are the major Egyptian cities recreated, as well as numerous smaller towns. Alexandria is the major Greek city depicted, again as well as numerous smaller Greek towns. The Giza complex is recreated and the Sphinx and all the three main pyramids are recreated in their internal structures, as are the Step and Bent Pyramid at their respective sites, and a number of tombs, large and small scattered around the map. There are, as it is a game, various "Indiana Jones" elements within them.

The internal layout of the Great Pyramid is, apart from some major alterations to the subterranean chamber for story purposes, just about an exact replication, "air shafts" included. Of interest is that while this game was released a few days before the Scan the Pyramids press release about a huge void being discovered, it includes the precise area said to be a void. They could have been taking a lead from Houdin and his ideas about two more chambers, but in the game they have what seems a blocking stone on the north wall of the King's Chamber by the sarcophagus, opening into a series of two high corbelled chambers. This does not follow Houdin, but the scan void in that they head out due north over and offset to the Grand Gallery. To meet the expectations of gamers, the first chamber is full of treasure and the second is the "real" burial chamber of Khufu. A corbelled corridor then leads out further north from this burial chamber before making a right turn and descending to meet the ascending corridor. When I discovered what the game devs had done here I was a little surprised, to say they least, and I hope they have made a very good guess.....

Anyway, everything else in the game as far as how it looks and how they have injected believable life into the cities, for instance we see temple priests not just at worship, but coming to and fro and making look it like a working temple. All the temples are eye openers, even ignoring some aspects that are not right. The temple of Ptah in Memphis is incredible, as are the temples of Sekhmet and Sobek.

Alexandria is believable, the Pharos, the palace area, the Library and the city in general is beautifully rendered, even the people going about their lives speak Greek, as the Egyptians speak Egyptian and the Romans Latin, except when you have to interact with them.

Now, perhaps the main reason I mention this game is that next year a version will appear that has none of the game elements and is for exploration and learning only, and I suspect this may well appeal to people who would otherwise not touch a game with a ten foot barge pole. I see this as a potential educational tool to get people interested in Ancient Egypt.

From a large number of videos about this game on youtube, I found this was the best overview, though even this barely scratches the surface and does not convey fully the intricate details, for instance the temple routines, or the day and night activity cycles. In the day the streets are teaming with people, at night far fewer, but they have not gone, just not rendered, but they are sleeping in their houses, of which many you can walk into, or sleeping on their roofs, and you need to avoid stepping on them, or the many cats.

https://youtu.be/Q7jqOWsQw5o[/code]
Ikon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The video link without a glitch.
https://youtu.be/Q7jqOWsQw5o
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: