Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nefertiti was no Pharaoh?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
herper
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepi 'll was a young child when he became king. I'm pretty sure a couple of earlybdynasty kings and New Kingdom pharaohs came to the throne at a young age. Unfortunately I can not remember their names.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With an average life expectancy of 35-40 years, "young" is relatively ... Without any research, 4 kings are known to me, probably climbing the throne at an age of less than ten years: Pepi II, Thutmosis III, Tutankhaton, Sethy II.

It is believed that in the 1st Dynasty King Den / Udimu inherited the throne as a child. This is inferred from the outstanding role of his supposed mother Meritneith (own tomb in Umm el-Qaab at the Royal Cemetery in Abydos).

However, that's all in the question of which it did, not matter. If at the time of the death of Akhenaton his co-regent was alive (what is the majority in Egyptology today), there was no need and no possibility for Tutankhaton to become king - no matter how old or whose son he was ...
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
... Sethy II ...

Sorry, I meant Siptah (of which, however, also an age of about 14 years when climbing the throne is suspected).
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dzama923 wrote:
... I haven't read a lot about Ancient Egyptian historical dating, and sucessions. ...

Eruk Hornung / Rolf Krauss / David A. Warburton [Ed.] : Ancient Egyptian Chronology. - [Handbook of Oriental Studies 1 - The Near and Middle East 83]. - Leiden : Brill, 2006. - ISBN : 9789004113855. - IX, 517 p., ills.
Ikon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the book, but only since Saturday and cannot make much comment about it until I have read in completely.

However, of what I have read I was a little disappointed by her making a bold statement that Akhenaten was not a monotheist, but then failing to present any case for this in more than a short paragraph, thus shutting the matter down. But then it's her book and her viewpoint, and many will agree with her. On the other hand, I do agree with her view that Nefertiti was part of the family of Yuya and Thuya, and so a close relative of Queen Tiy, whether much younger sister of cousin I don't know.

I have read a number of her other books, and enjoyed them, and I'm sure, monotheism apart, will enjoy this one by the time I have completed reading it. But for a more in depth view of Nefertiti and the bust, then the German publication "In The Light Of Amarna", available in English, is far more comprehensive in it's chapters by various experts, Jan Assmann, Barry Kemp and Salima Ikram among them. But to be fair, I think both books are aimed at different audiences.

Was Nefertiti a king/queen? I think so, and I think we had the beginnings of a Hatshepsut situation with Nefertiti essentially usurping the throne, but then dying early, for whatever reason.
herper
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the multiple posts. My tablet had a nervous breakdown
herper
Scribe
Scribe

herper
Scribe
Scribe

kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think nefertiti succeeded smenkhkare, a son of amenhotep III. I don't think with the unhappiness akhenaten caused that a woman would have held power before an adult male of royal blood, even if akhenaten had made her co regent. It makes more sense she emulated hatshepsut, was regent for tutankhamun and then took the throne for herself. Easier to do it that way if someone like ay stood behind her for support.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an edited extract from "Nefertiti's Face" by Joyce Tyldesley ...

" How Nefertiti's Bust Ended Up In Germany " (Financial Review - Joyce Tyldesley, Feb 23 2018)
Terrell0082
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said this before. Nefertiti may have been a Co-ruler stepping in when Akhenaten could no longer function in the latter days of his reign but as Female Pharoah I don't think so. I just think it's highly fantasied I think people have overlooked Meritaten a little too often.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: