Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lower Part of Psammetich I Colossus

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Lower Part of Psammetich I Colossus Reply with quote

" The Lower Part of 26th Dynasty King Psamtik I Colossus Uncovered in Cairo's Matariya " (Ahram Online - Nevine El-Aref, 09.10.2017)

Quote:
The lower part of a statue of Psamtik I has been unearthed in Souk Al-Khamis area in Matariya district following earlier discoveries in March

The Egyptian-German Archaeological Mission uncovered most of the remaining parts of the recently discovered colossus of 26th Dynasty King Psamtik I (664-610 BC) while excavating at the temple of Heliopolis in the Souk Al-Khamis area of Matariya district in east Cairo.

Aymen Ashmawy, head of the Ancient Egyptian Antiquities Department and leader of the Egyptian excavation team, told Ahram Online that the joint mission has unearthed around 1,920 separate quartzite blocks comprising the lower part of King Psamtik I colossus. ...

See also : " Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous -> New Finds in Cairo and Luxor ".

Greetings, Lutz.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Through the discovery of further fragments (about 4500) of a colossal statue of Psamtek I. during the Egyptian-German excavation in Cairo, Matariya (Iunw / Heliopolis) it was possible to digitally reconstruct the appearance and approximate size of the statue:

" New Discovery In Matariya Shed Light On The Shape Of King Psamtek I Colossus " (Ahram Online - Nevine El-Aref, Apr 11, 1818).

Unusual for the image of a standing king is the arm attitude. The left arm appears in front of the body and not, as usual, laterally hanging.
On the back pillar of the statue is Psamtek I. kneeling before Atum, creator god and Lord of Iunw, in carefully worked sunken relief.

The director of the German team, Dr. Dietrich Raue, mentioned further finds: fragments of a quartz gate of Ramses II. and Nektanebo I., fragments of a falcon frieze, parts of a gate of Merenptah and parts of a colossal Ramessid sphinx of red granite.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With some more pictures ...

" Fragments Of Massive Psamtek I's Matariya Colossus Uncovered " (Egypt Today, 11.04.2018)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: