Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Translation Origins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Translation Origins Reply with quote

Hi, I am looking for information. I read a lot of Ancient Egyptian text translations, and I am wondering where they come from. I know that a lot of the papyri get translated, like the Book of the Dead, and other similar texts. I am wondering which were the most important. I know there are Coffin texts, Pyramid Texts, as well. What are the translations that had the most prominent place in their society? These writings would be the writings on their temples, like the temples of Edfu, Luxor, and Karnac, to name a few. Is there a translation of the temple walls? And lastly, were there writings inside any of pyramids, like at Saqqara? Thank you all for your help.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: Translation Origins Reply with quote

dzama923 wrote:
... I read a lot of Ancient Egyptian text translations, and I am wondering where they come from. ...

Well, one hopes of more or less well-trained professionals? In doubt, a look at the translator's academic life or reviews of his work by colleagues should help to clarify?

dzama923 wrote:
... I am wondering which were the most important. ...

That is probably in the eye of the beholder?

dzama923 wrote:
... What are the translations that had the most prominent place in their society? ....

I can not follow this now, because I do not understand the question...

dzama923 wrote:
... Is there a translation of the temple walls? ...

Of course, texts that have been preserved only on walls of a temple are / will be also translated. More or less systematically, for example, for the Horus-Temple in Edfu by " The Edfu-Project " and the temples in Luxor by " The Epigraphic Survey " from the Oriental Institute, University of Chicago.

See ... Krisztián Vértes : Digital Epigraphy. - ISBN : 978-1-61491-021-3. - Chicago : Oriental Institute, 2014. - 202 p. - [PDF - 40 MB].

But, as I said, these are only two examples. There are numerous projects, either temporally or thematically fixed.

dzama923 wrote:
... And lastly, were there writings inside any of pyramids, like at Saqqara? ...

Why do you think they are called " Pyramid Texts " ?
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These examples are interesting. Would you, Lutz, be able to compile a list of the direct translations of the temples?
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These examples are interesting. Would you, Lutz, be able to compile a list of the direct translations of the temples?
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dzama923 wrote:
... Would you, Lutz, be able to compile a list of the direct translations of the temples?

I'm not really sure what exactly you mean ... But, for examples, have a look at "Publications" on the page of The Edfu-Project, or the listed books on "The Epigraphic Survey Bibliography" for Karnak and Luxor... And for Dendera or Elephantine, and all the other places of interest, search by your self for a web-page or list of publications (online catalogs of librarys).

A good start to do so is, for example ...

"The Topographical Bibliography"

... with literature references for the listed places and objects.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: