Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange image in KV11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amesthyite
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Strange image in KV11 Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I recently visited the tomb of Ramses II so-called KV11 and I was impressed by this strange image that does not correspond to anything I've seen anywhere else, including in the Egyptian museum. We visited with a guide but he didn't go inside and when I asked about it he had no idea really and spoke about demons (snakes and crocodile shapes).

This is so strange. it's right in the middle of what seem like representations of the mummified Pharaoh. his strange black robbed figure is horned - but without the sun in the middle that could signify Hathor - and facing forward instead of sideways which is the strangest one for me yet as I've not found anthing like it which means it should mean somethingjavascript:emoticon('Idea') .

if this is another transformation the pharaoh undergoes I'd like to understand it.

I've scoured the internet but the only time I've found it is in this picture and it's strangely labelled as "Painted series of the gods in the entrance gallery" but that doesn't seem right..

Any clues as to what this image is and means please much appreciated.

http://drivingclockwise.com/egypt/2003/02/14/kv11-tomb-of-ramesses-iii/

Thanks for helping javascript:emoticon('Smile')
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Amesthyite,

it is one of the 74 appearances of the sun god from the so-called "Litany of Ra" ("The Book of Worship of Ra in the West") in KV 11 - Rameses III - Corridor C.

A collection of pictures from this tomb : Tomb Ramses III.

See also : "Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion -> 75 secret names of RA"

and : "The Ancient Egyptian Books of the Afterlife" by Erik Hornung (1999, p. 136 ff.).

Greetings, Lutz.
Amesthyite
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thank you very much for all these links, I will have a long time to check them all out javascript:emoticon('Very Happy')
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Amesthyite,

have a look at the picture again. Over each figure you see a short hieroglyphic inscription. This is the name of the respective manifestation of the sun god from the litany.

Above the figure you are asking for, you can read : "xprr". This can be translated here in this context with "The one who is transforming itself". Have a look at the first hieroglyph "xpr" ( Gardiner L1 ) and compare it with the head of the figure in black... Do you notice something?

Greetings, Lutz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: