Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Book of Am Duat - The Title of the Work
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You already mentioned that ...

The most important and in Egyptology generally accepted scientific translators of this text do not follow your conception. There translation and substantiation are available. You have to deal with them yourself.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an excerpt from Hornung / Abt: The Egyptian Amduat - The Book of the Hidden Chamber (2007), which also contains the title (as hieroglyphs, transcription, translation).
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me a normal passage from the Am-Duat, or the Twelve hours of night, writings. The only difference, seems to be the perspective is more of a summary, that an exposition of the Twelve hours, and the realm of the netherworld, as most of the writings are, an exposition. The wording of it as a summary may seem a bit strange, but it is talking about what most expositions talk about. I.e., the realm of the dead, the gods in the procession, guarding and exhibiting powers, the twelve hours of the night, etc... I have seen the passage concerning "the horn" worded this way, "the horn of deepest darkness". We have to remember that the writings are not always carved in stone, and are suspect to the writer's own ability and discretion.

It seems strange to me that Budge can be so off. I mean, I would think that a translation, is a translation. 1=1... I have read some of Budge's work. It seems to me based on concrete translations of the hieroglyphs. Is there something I am not seeing?
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dzama923 wrote:
... It seems strange to me that Budge can be so off. I mean, I would think that a translation, is a translation. 1=1...
Maybe, but for sure translator is not = translater ...

dzama923 wrote:
...I have read some of Budge's work. It seems to me based on concrete translations of the hieroglyphs. Is there something I am not seeing?

No idea, but maybe there is something you did not read ... : "Lutz, Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:39 pm".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: