Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help! In reference to Egyptian transliteration and grammar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yandiel
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Help! In reference to Egyptian transliteration and grammar Reply with quote

On page 46 of A.W. Budge's Papyrus of Ani Vol 2 (link = https://ia802705.us.archive.org/13/items/papyrusofanirepr02budg/papyrusofanirepr02budg.pd), the English translation:

... let there be joy of heart (to us)...

doesn't have an Egyptian transliteration and I can not find a copy of it anywhere!!!

Ultimately I'm attempting to translate a command, for example "let there be light!". The closest sentence I can find is:

...Dj Sm jrt=f (let your eye go)

Except in this example there is an action verb, for the Egyptian transliteration of "let there be joy (or "light"), I don't believe we're dealing with an action verb. It would most likely:

1) be a non-verbal sentence (possibly a nominal sentence with a prepositional phrase nuance)

2) consist of the existence verb "wnn"??? Though I believe this is less likely.

3) consist of a jussive-esque/command of some sort.

4) be some other form that I'm ignorant of

Can anyone enlighten me because I've been on a standstill on this for a while.[/b]
Aset
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aset
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Vygus : Middle Egyptian Dictionary. - 2018. - 2568 p. - [PDF - 14 MB]. - Page 437 :

Quote:
wn sSp / let there be light, chase away the darkness / E34 - O31 - S29 - O42 - Q3 - N5

yandiel
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
Mark Vygus : Middle Egyptian Dictionary. - 2018. - 2568 p. - [PDF - 14 MB]. - Page 437 :

Quote:
wn sSp / let there be light, chase away the darkness / E34 - O31 - S29 - O42 - Q3 - N5

OMG what a life saver you are!!! You know how long I've been looking for a sentence like that!!! You deserve a huge hug for that 😆😆😆🙈🙊🐵🙉 And who would have thought that the verb "wnn" - to exist, would have been used because most grammars would point "wnn" to be used only in specific circumstances and I wouldn't group this type of sentence in that group.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The " WÖRTERBUCH DER AEGYPTISCHEN SPRACHE " (Adolf Erman / Hermann Grapow, Unchanged reprint, Berlin, 1971) gives the formulation in Volume I, Page 312.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe another note ... I have looked for the supporting documents indicated in the "Wörterbuch" (1971). They are all from greek-roman times, from temple inscriptions in Dendera, Edfu and Thebes.

So, maybe the listing of the phrase in a dictionary entitled "Middle Egyptian Dictionary" (Vygus) is (at least) a little daring?
yandiel
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
Maybe another note ... I have looked for the supporting documents indicated in the "Wörterbuch" (1971). They are all from greek-roman times, from temple inscriptions in Dendera, Edfu and Thebes.

So, maybe the listing of the phrase in a dictionary entitled "Middle Egyptian Dictionary" (Vygus) is (at least) a little daring?

It's believable though! Ancient Egyptian was not too strict in translation of sentences like this, I am sure there is more than one way to express the idea and wn sSp does fit in with the grammar, in a sense I didn't ultimately think it would but there are indications that the words are found together.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: