Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is it that brings you to study Ancient Egypt?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:41 am    Post subject: What is it that brings you to study Ancient Egypt? Reply with quote

What is it that brings you to study Ancient Egypt?

I would like to open the discussion, to see, what it is that is bringing us together. Some of you are scholars, some are just starting to get into the history of Ancient Egypt, and for some of us, it is a hobby. I thought it would be interesting to share what it is that captivates us.

For me, Ancient Egypt is a study I would like to continue to do for a long time. What it is that brought me to this study, I would have to say, is, the civilization itself. It stands out in the background of history, as an impressive landmark. The great pyramids are to me a reminder of ages of man, and the passage of time. To me, this inspires an urge to know, what happened to us through time. The writings on the temples are an art, that drew me into the people of Ancient Egypt, and had me wanting to learn more about it.

I was introduced to the subject of Ancient Egypt when I bought my first Ancient Egypt book, The Ancient Egyptian Book of the Dead by Raymond O'Faulkner. This was how I learned about some of their beliefs and religion.

In the future, I would like to learn how to read hieroglpyhs and would like to study the temples and the inscriptions. I currently have How to Read Egyptian Hieroglpyhs by Mark Collier and Bill Manley. Smile
Montuhotep88
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it really kicked off when I realized that the story of Egyptology didn't end with Carter's discovery of Tut's tomb... that, not only was there ongoing work and discoveries, but that if anything things have accelerated. This turned something dead and dusty into something vibrant and thrilling for me.

Another fascination of mine is the American Civil War, and for that I'm always looking for the oldest possible sources... I've often remarked on that curious fact that, for ancient Egypt, so much further back in time, we're best served by the *newest* research and sources. Exciting!

Smile
Maggart
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What got me into Egyptology was the fact that there's still so much stuff waiting to be discovered. Makes me feel very excited!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: