Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is your favourite Ancient Egyptian statue?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hathorhotep
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was in Viena and Bratislava this weekend and I saw beauty center Nefertiti, and queen is depicted on the door. I have a great time.

My favourite statue would be the statue of Rahotep and Nofret - a couple of 4th dynasty, son and daughter-in-law of Snefru.

Here is a image on my website about them:http://drevniegipat.***.com/rahotep-i-nofret.html
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hathorhotep wrote:
Well, I was in Viena and Bratislava this weekend and I saw beauty center Nefertiti, and queen is depicted on the door. I have a great time.

My favourite statue would be the statue of Rahotep and Nofret - a couple of 4th dynasty, son and daughter-in-law of Snefru.

Here is a image on my website about them:[url]http://drevniegipat.***.com/rahotep-i-nofret.html[/url]

Thanks for the contribution, Hathorhotep- as well as Ranoferhotep and Toth. I will post some more of my own favourite statues later....

Stuart

http://styler78hatshepsutproject.blogspot.com/

Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Styler78 wrote:
Hathorhotep wrote:

Here is a image on my website about them:[url]http://drevniegipat.***.com/rahotep-i-nofret.html[/url]

Thanks for the contribution, Hathorhotep- as well as Ranoferhotep and Toth. I will post some more of my own favourite statues later....

Stuart

Please do Stuart.

@ Hathorhotep, the statues of Rahotep and Nofret are indeed real pearls and very lifelike. They show also very much detail.
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranoferhotep wrote:
Styler78 wrote:
Hathorhotep wrote:

Stuart

Please do Stuart.

@ Hathorhotep, the statues of Rahotep and Nofret are indeed real pearls and very lifelike. They show also very much detail.

I agree, but the language is still a problem
[i][b][color=#0080FF]Toth[/color][/b][/i]
Hathorhotep
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are talking to me! I am still dead from the trip. And how are you Toth? Did Ra spred his light over you this morning when Sopdet apeared on the sky? Is Sopdet Venus?

No... the page is in croatian, so language is not the problem. But I am drunked... I think I have no idea what I am writing here. Where is Anneke?

When they first time opened Rahotep's mastaba, they ran away because statues were so lifelike. You know this? O Ra, save me!
Toth
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hathorhotep wrote:
You are talking to me! I am still dead from the trip. And how are you Toth? Did Ra spred his light over you this morning when Sopdet apeared on the sky? Is Sopdet Venus?

No... the page is in croatian, so language is not the problem. But I am drunked... I think I have no idea what I am writing here. Where is Anneke?

When they first time opened Rahotep's mastaba, they ran away because statues were so lifelike. You know this? O Ra, save me!

Hathorhotep, yes, why shouldn't I that was a great post! Ra was behind the (snow) clouds this morning, Croatian may not be a problem to you Smile But it is to me. You are drunk? What did you drink, wodka? I think Anneke is at home, it's still very early there.

I didn't know it happened at Rahotep's mastaba too, but I have heard of a similar story about a statue stepping out of a false door, scaring the hell out of the researchers; I'll try to find that image:

Mereruka served during the sixth dynasty of Egypt as one of Egypt's most powerful officials at a time when the influence of local state noblemen was increasing in wealth and power. Mereruka held numerous titles along with that of Vizier which made him the most powerful person in Egypt after the king himself.[1] Some of the other state titles which Mereruka held included 'Inspector of the priests attached to the pyramid of Teti', 'Governor of the palace', 'Chief lector-priest', 'Overseer of the royal record scribes' and 'Director of all the works of the king.'[1]

Tomb

The Mastaba of Mereruka is the largest and most elaborate of all the non-royal tombs in Saqqara with 33 rooms or chambers in total.[2][3] Mereruka was the vizier to king Teti, who was the first pharaoh of the 6th dynasty Old Kingdom period of Egypt.[4] Mereruka was also married to Teti's daughter, princess Hert-watet-khet. He was, therefore, the king's son-in-law. Princess Hert-watet-khet is buried in Mereruka's mastaba tomb along with their son, Meriteti. [5] The paintings on the wall in the entrance of the tomb show Mereruka painting the seasons and playing a board game. The first three chambers are decorated with scenes of furniture making, hunting and goldsmith working. A life-like statue of Mereruka was found intact within the principal chamber at the far end of his mastaba tomb.[6] This chamber is approached through the mastaba tomb's false door.[2] Mereruka's mastaba tomb boasts vibrant and well preserved tomb decorations and numerous relief scenes.[7] His mastaba tomb remained hidden from view until it was discovered and excavated by Jacques de Morgan, of the Egyptian Antiquities Service in 1892.[4] However, the first major publication on his tomb did not occur until over 40 years later in 1936 by Prentice Duell. Mereruka was also known by his 'beautiful' or chosen name of Meri.

Twenty-one of the mastaba chambers are devoted to Mereruka himself, five are designated to his wife Hert-watet-khet (chambers B) and five were added for his son Meriteti (or Meryteti) (chambers C).[1] The overall external dimensions of Mereruka's mastaba are 23 metres east-west, 30 metres north-south (extending to 41 metres when one includes Meriteti's addition) and 4.5 metres high, while the internal height of the ceiling is just over 4 metres.[1] Princess Hert-watet-khet's complex at the left end of the tomb entrance to Mereruka's tomb depicts her "receiving offerings due to a king's daughter, including a selection of finely carved furniture" while she is shown relaxing and watching several dancing girls.[2] In another scene, "she is portrayed with her three dogs and a pet monkey." On the walls of chamber 7, Princess Hert-watet-khet is shown sitting together with Mereruka "on a large couch, while she plays her harp to soothe him." While most of the rooms of Mereruka's mastaba tomb were decorated, those which were left bare was simply used for storage.[4]

A hunting scene within Egypt's marshes from Mereruka's tomb show five men punting "a papyrus raft along a verdant Nile bank, packed with reeds and teeming with wildlife" while nesting lapwings are depicted protecting their young from a marauding ichneumon, or type of mongoose, by either "spreading their wings over their chicks or by mobbing the intruder." In the Nile river, one adult hippopotamus is shown seizing and killing a basking crocodile, "while behind it another crocodile turns the tables, waiting to devour a newborn hippopotamus."[2] Other scenes show sculptors and carpenters of stone vases at work, while Mereruka and his wife are depicted inspecting a jeweller's workshop where some of the workers are dwarfs [4].

Source (Text and Image: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mereruka )
Hathorhotep
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my goddess, save me! Wodka is the best! I think Khufu would agree with me.

Mereruka is great. I love it. I wanna see him. And one day I will.
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The statue of Mereruka is also a very nice one. The man looks like an athlete, small waist, muscular torso
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranoferhotep wrote:
The statue of Mereruka is also a very nice one. The man looks like an athlete, small waist, muscular torso

Isn't it funny that they all on that photo seem to have that posture (or am I looking at multiple images of the same person?

Richard, aka
Ranoferhotep
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toth wrote:
Ranoferhotep wrote:

Isn't it funny that they all on that photo seem to have that posture (or am I looking at multiple images of the same person?

Richard, aka

You are looking at multiple pictures, the figures on the left and right show also Mereruka, in the presence of his wife and daughter or wives(?).
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranoferhotep wrote:
Toth wrote:
Ranoferhotep wrote:

Richard, aka

You are looking at multiple pictures, the figures on the left and right show also Mereruka, in the presence of his wife and daughter or wives(?).

Thank you, Ranoferhotep
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranoferhotep wrote:
... Here is my favorite. Meritamun. Daughter and consort of Ramses II. For its enormous size a statue with lot of grace.

Meritamun is no langer alone at Akhmin`s Open Air Museum. Her father makes her company again : " RAMSES II STATUE IN SOHAG RECONSTRUCTED " (Ministry of Antiquities - Facebook, 06.04.2019).
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite is the Ibis wooden statue. I don't know, but I have heard it refered to as, Ibis tucks in its child. I also haven't heard any mention of it being a representation of Thoth. If anyone has any information about the statue that would be great. It is my favorite Egyptian statue.
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bibliotheca Alexandria antiquities museum

http://antiquities.bibalex.org/Collection/Detail.aspx?lang=en&a=636[/img]
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry bad link...

http://antiquities.bibalex.org/Collection/Detail.aspx?lang=en&a=636
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: