Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

XI to XII Dynasty Connection?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Montuhotep88
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:26 am    Post subject: XI to XII Dynasty Connection? Reply with quote

Speculation about-- believe it or not-- a succession question that's NOT about Amarna! Laughing

I've been reading (and enjoying) an older book, William C. Hayes' The Scepter of Egypt. In the transition from Dynasty XI to XII, Hayes says (Volume I, page 167 of the 1990 edition) that a God's Father Se'n-Wosret was the son of Se'-ankh-ku-Re' Montu-hotpe III, with the implication that this was the father of Amun-em-het I (I was initially annoyed by these older transliterations but now I'm amused by them).

By this idea, Montu-hotpe IV and this Se'n-Wosret would have been either brothers or half-brothers; given that Montu-hotpe IV's mother was not given any sort of title in the sole inscription naming her, she was presumably at best a minor wife or concubine of Montu-hotpe III. This does rather elegantly explain why the new king's (half?)-nephew served as vizier, and, postulating IV's death without an heir, Amun-em-het I slides neatly into the next place in line, with no usurpation necessary.

However, I also see that in the much more recent The Complete Royal Families of Ancient Egypt (Dodson and Hilton), that the notion of God's Father Senusret being the son of Montuhotep III is dismissed as "highly unlikely" (note 74) and it is implied on page 92 that the only reason for this idea is GF Senusret's name appearing after Montuhotep II and Montuhotep III in the 18th dynasty Karnak chapel of Amenhotep I. No further discussion is given and no other leads or evidence.

So... here's the question. Is this juxtaposition of names in the Amenhotep I chapel the sole basis for the speculation of the relation of GF Sensuret to the Dynasty XI line, or is there some other reason to think that there's a connection? (Because, naturally, that would be a very slender reed to hang the reasoning on.) It's intriguing because it would explain a few things about the XI/XII transition; but if there's no real evidence for it, it simply remains at best unproven/unlikely.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say unproven, but a discussion you find in ...

Labib Habachi : God's Fathers and the Role they played in the History of the First Intermediate Period. - In: ASAE 55. - 1958. - pp. 167 - 190. - pp. 185 ff.

Greetings, Lutz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: