Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Combination of determinatives F37 (or 38) and N5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andre Malakhov-Dombasle
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Combination of determinatives F37 (or 38) and N5 Reply with quote

Dear all,

Currently I’m studying the papyrus of Ani (Book of the Dead) and have stumbled on a couple of inconsistent determinatives (or which seem inconsistent to me, but most probably I’m missing something). And I would like to ask your kind help.

In the initial Hymn to Ra (column 4) there’s a phrase: xa(j).k wbn.k psd mwt.k, meaning «you rise and shine, shining / throwing light at your mother». This translation is confirmed by Budges’s edition of the Papyrus of Ani.

My problem is with psd (see attachment 1). In the papyrus psd is followed by F37:N5, both signs very clear.

Neither Faulkner, nor other dictionaries more or less up-to-date I have access to, don’t show both determinatives.

It is either psd / psD with F37 meaning «back», or psd / psD with N5 meaning «to shine, to illuminate».

In an earlier edition of the Papyrus of Ani by Budge, a combined determinative of N5 atop F31 is used (see attachment 2). In a later edition F37:N5 is used (attachment 2.1).

The only entry I’ve found with psd with both F37 and N5 in a dictionary is in Budges’s «A hieroglyphic vocabulary to the theban Recension of the Book of the Dead» (1911) (see attachment 3).

Can there be another interpretation? Like reference to the myth, when Ra is swallowed by Nut in the evening, travels along Nut’s spine at night to be born by Nut in the morning?

Any ideas?

To make it a scribe’s error is tempting, but probably far from true.

Many thanks![/u]
Andre Malakhov-Dombasle
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately a link to the Google disk with small attachments cannot be posted because of forbidden words

Idea
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Lutz"]A comment from Michael Tilgner ...

Quote:
As is long known, Budge's editions are not reliable. You have given the signs in questions correctly as F37:N5 (better: F38). The "combined determinative of N5 atop F31" should be N8, which, however, is not the case in papyrus Ani.

The current translation of the phrase is "you rise and shine on the back of your mother (the sky)" (Faulkner, Book of the Dead, 1993, p. 27), using psD "the back" and not "to shine" as Budge did. The N5 must be interpreted as a "contamination", mixing the determinatives of both words. This may not be a mistake in the papyrus as there are other references of the same phrase which can be found in the slip archive of the Berlin Wörterbuch : DZA 23.492.320 and DZA 23.492.380 ...

(DZA 23.492.320)

(DZA 23.492.380)

Both examples have N8 instead of N5. The latter one is an interesting variant: xaj=k psD=k Hr psD mw.t=k using both interpretations of psD in the same sentence - and both are written with the same determinatives! Please note that papyrus Ani omits the preposition Hr "on". Another strange example: DZA 23.492.350 ...

(DZA 23.492.350)

... where psD "to shine" as a replacement of wbn is written only with F37 or F38.

Andre Malakhov-Dombasle
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your kind reply, Lutz!
I’m most grateful!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: