Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forum Etiquette

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fof
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject: Forum Etiquette Reply with quote

Firstly let me state 10000% this is NOT a bitch.

Well, it is, sort of. I have recently started a couple of threads on ED, and I am gobsmacked. There are people here who READ what is written/asked and give answers with explanations. WOW. Very Happy Very Happy

I had previously joined various AE fora, asking questions about the same images I used on ED. I found the responses a bit off putting at times. The age of the images were called into question; I was accused of trying to get my homework done for me; information I was asking about, specifically, was just totally ignored; the impression was often that it was a group who spoke the same "lingo", but if somebody came in and asked a question, they were just dismissed with the first thought that came to mind. (Amen/Amun)
I actually pointed this out to one of the guys and his response was:
Quote:
The point is simple: I'm an amateur and before of commenting or answering on the base of my memory I should check the context and collect information.
But it happens that at colloquial level, in a thread, I tend to indulge with my optimism ...

I will give him this, he did suggest Tatenen, but with ZERO info as to how he had come from Amun via Osiris, to Ptah-Tatenen.
PLEASE do not let this forum become one of them. sign3
There are thousands of us who love AE, but trying to understand something outside our comfort zone, mine is electronics, can be hard, especially at 75yrs old.
I had ALMOST given up hope of finding an honest forum.

Thank you all.
irt-akhu
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also came here to learn. There is a lot of AE stuff on the i/net, but it is scattered about and poorly organized and a good percentage is rubbish. As far as formal lectures or university type learning, forget it unless you pay big bucks and enroll at uni. (That has recently changed a bit and some free lectures by real Egyptologists are being given due to this China virus thing.) I am glad you are here FOF. It is good to see some new energy in the forums!
Ikon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I might know the unhelpful forum...
There is a problem discussing Ancient Egypt at this time. This forum should be the place to go, but it's been quite for some years, though using the search facility you can find a lot of useful information.

The problem with other fora is that they are not Egypt specific, except HoM, but the format puts people off and only a very few of the same people ever post there, however, the posts are, with a few exceptions, made by those with good to exceptional knowledge. HoM aside, Egypt is just one of many topics on other fora and so gets lost in the noise. The forum I think is being referenced is also not Egypt friendly due to a ban on discussing DNA, which in discussions about the Amarna period is a killer, and due to appalling moderator decisions, serious discussion of Egypt ended last year with some post mortem twitching lasting into the beginning of this year.

Other fora are at base level for the fringe, and while a meaningful discussion is possible at times, it never lasts long before cranks and trolls wreck everything.

So this forum is really the only sensible choice, except that it is as quite as a tomb....
irt-akhu
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am hoping some new energy is infused in the ED forum. Just out of curiosity, what is HoM? I don't believe I have run across that one.
Ikon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hall of Maat http://www.hallofmaat.com/forum/list.php?6
Egyptologists, independent researchers, enthusiastic amateurs and the occasional crank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: