Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Valley of the Artisans - follow up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fof
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Valley of the Artisans - follow up Reply with quote

As a follow up to my earlier post,
(http://forum.egyptiandreams.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=9575&sid=8c4417bdf13466330b618ace2cc12a00).
After going through Schott's images, in conjunction with P&M, Vol 1.1, I was able to identify the most of the images and the owners' tombs.
I still have 2 tombs I am stuck with, and would be grateful for IDs.
1st tomb:
After Schott's images, I suspect, based on the artistic style, that this is from the tomb of Ramose (TT55), where most of the "usable" images were taken.

2nd tomb:
This one will be very difficult, I suspect. This part of the tomb, is unfinished. As far as I can recall, other parts were finished or more advanced. This part of the tomb had a minimal amount of light, from the main entrance and required a torch to see anything.

The lack of light in all the tombs meant I had to use flash, and too many of them had to be scrapped, and the remaining have been enhanced, to minimise flash flare.
One of the main reasons for my need of IDs is that as soon as I can, I intend to revisit and retake, as the reliefs are stunning.
TIA
Fof
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Valley of the Artisans - follow up Reply with quote

Fof wrote:
... I still have 2 tombs I am stuck with, and would be grateful for IDs.
1st tomb:
After Schott's images, I suspect, based on the artistic style, that this is from the tomb of Ramose (TT55), where most of the "usable" images were taken.

Ramose was vizier and wears in most of the depictions in his grave (TT 55) the robe typical of his office: a linen tunic that reaches high under the armpits and is held with a ribbon on the neck. The robe is missing in this illustration.
On the top right you can read the remains of the title of the tomb owner : "Royal Scribe". So far recognizable, I would see the name "Kha-m-ha" at high of the right knee. So, this is from TT 57.

Fof wrote:
... 2nd tomb:
This one will be very difficult, I suspect. This part of the tomb, is unfinished. As far as I can recall, other parts were finished or more advanced. ...

This is from TT 55 - Ramose. See PLATE XXXVII in ...

Norman De Garis Davies : The Tomb of the Vizier Ramose (1941).

The two tombs are close together (at Sheikh Abd el-Qurna, not in the "Valley of the Artisans", a colloquial name for the tombs in and around Deir el-Medina). They were probably created around the same time (Amenhotep III / IV), so the artistic style is equal.

Greetings, Lutz.
Aset
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would see the name "Kha-m-ha" at high of the right knee. So, this is from TT 57.
Lutz: pharaohthumb
Yes, it is the tomb of Khaemhat

also called Mahu.
He was royal scribe and overseer of the double granary of Upper and Lower Egypt.

Arrow Pic from TT 57
Fof
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz & Aset. Thank you both.
The link you gave to
Quote:
Norman De Garis Davies : The Tomb of the Vizier Ramose (1941)

has answered all my questions. Pity about the duplicate and missing page(s).
When going through Schott's images, I just noted tomb and owner. Once I started to read up on Tomb 55, in P&M, I realised that he were definately NOT an artisan.
Wandering away from the artisans' houses, I guess I just got lucky when I came across these tombs.
Continued reading of Davies, going forward.
Thanks again, guys
Applause Applause Applause
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: