Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Habicht, Michael E. - Smenkhkare (5th Edition, English)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
karnsculpture
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Habicht, Michael E. - Smenkhkare (5th Edition, English) Reply with quote

Have read this book, a reasonably up to date (2019) examination of all the material relating to Smenkhkare specifically.

The book covers the "discovery" of Smenkhkare, interpretations of all material related to the king from the beginning until the late 2010s, as well as recent work related to that king. New sections cover the research into possible additional chambers in KV62 as well as the possible outcome that the voids indicated by scans may not actually form part of that tomb. However, speculation is avoided throughout the book as it is in essence an overview of existing material rather than leaning heavily on speculation.

However, Habicht does share his own interpretations of the evidence we have for the king, and comes to the conclusion (in the absence of any future finds) that "Smenkhkare" is either an evolution from Neferneferuaten Nefertiti / King Neferneferuaten or potentially an evolution of Meritaten ruling prior to the accession of Tutankhaten. The arguments he make carefully avoid him taking a firm stance, in my view a sensible position given what is presented.

He is fairly convinced thatui KV55 is Akhenaten, but less so that KV35YL is Nefertiti - a lot depends on future finds.

There are some amusing remarks about Hawass' attitude towards Reeves, and differences of position in the Egyptian administration Very Happy

Given the scarcity of material relating to Smenkhkare this is a fairly slim tome, but worth having I think for what it does to compile all evdence relating to the king, and containing a good appendix section with references and so on.
Vangu Vegro
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is sensible for Habicht to not take a firm stance, but I can't escape the feeling the conclusions he arrives at are possibly the least likely ones, given my (admittedly limited) knowledge of the subject matter (though I am, of course, always curious to see what others think about it).

That Smenchkare could have been an evolution of Meritaten seems to me easily debunked by the fact that Meritaten appears alongside Smenchkare as a Great Royal Wife in the tomb of Meryre II.

As for an evolution of Neferneferuaten, the dates throw a spanner in the works. Smenchkare only has an attested Regnal Year (RY) 1, while of Neferneferuaten we have a RY 3. This suggests that if these two pharaohs were the same person, Smenchkare came first and Neferneferuaten would be the evolution. But if we're dealing with Nefertiti here, what would be the point of briefly hiding behind the identity of Smenchkare before going back to something close to her own as soon a two years later.
This theory could only work if the changing of a pharaoh's name also involved a reset of the RY count (i.e. after the last RY of Neferneferuaten came the first RY of Smenchkare). However, the consensus view is that there was no RY reset when Amenhotep IV changed his name to Akhenaten, and he reigned for 17 rather than 22 years (5 before the name chance, 17 after). Why, then, expect something different for his close successor?

So my two cents are that Smenchkare was probably not identical to Neferneferuaten, probably male, probably the KV55 body, probably a younger brother of Akhenaten, and probably father of Tutankhamun by an as-yet unidentifiable sister-wife (KV35YL).

Hopefully future finds will elucidate this mystery further.
irt-akhu
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I was excited to learn of this book, but I find it disappointing to learn the author argues for the non-existence of Smenkhare.
karnsculpture
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irt-akhu wrote:
At first I was excited to learn of this book, but I find it disappointing to learn the author argues for the non-existence of Smenkhare.

Worth noting that all of the evidence is presented - as well as other egyptologists opinions - so you can make your own mind up on the matter. Habicht himself says heís still open to the idea of a separate male ruler but on present evidence thinks that Smenkhkare might be Nefertiti. There are some very useful tables setting out which writer has said what based on the evidence. Itís a very balanced presentation I think. Itís only fair that he is allowed a paragraph or two in his own book to share his own thinking.
irt-akhu
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Smenkhare was Akhenaten's younger bro. If Nefertiti was Smenkhare, then why change her name again to Neferneferuaten? And, who was Meritaten's husband?
irt-akhu
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vangu Vegro wrote:
So my two cents are that Smenchkare was probably not identical to Neferneferuaten, probably male, probably the KV55 body, probably a younger brother of Akhenaten, and probably father of Tutankhamun by an as-yet unidentifiable sister-wife (KV35YL).

This is my understanding as well. Would mean KV35YL is Meritaten.
karnsculpture
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impossible to say who Smenkhkare was. Thereís only one solid piece of evidence that he existed at all - the depiction in the tomb of Meryre II.

He could have been a son of Akhenaten rather than a brother. Tuts older brother.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: