Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An ancient Egyptian Book of Unguents

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yandiel
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: An ancient Egyptian Book of Unguents Reply with quote

I’ve been doing a lot of research recently on ancient Egyptian perfumery and there’s very little information out there. I’m aware of the infamous Greek/Roman authors Dioscorides, Manetho, Galan, ect., who mentioned some of the scents of their days and the ingredients. There’s another book by Lise Manniche called “ Sacred Luxuries: Fragrance, Aromatherapy”, but she only gives her interpretations of the hieroglyphic writings and her book is a bit confusing when it comes to where she got her sources.

One of the best recent publications I’ve found is by Karl Vermillion called “Kyphi: The Sacred Scent” and he is exact in his findings BUT he only talks about the Kyphi recipes found in the temples of Edfu and Philae and does not get into other perfumes and unguents.

I found this quote from an Internet source to be quite interesting:
yandiel
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what happened- my post was posted three times and this post is left unfinished...

I was simply asking anY books in relationship to this “book of unguents” or anything similar like those of the temples of Edfu and Philae about perfumes and unguents which were mentioned here briefly:

...Details of perfume preparation are available primarily from the Ptolemaic temple of Edfu, where they are inscribed on the walls of the so-called laboratory, which, due to lack of light and ventilation, rather served as a storeroom (fig. 2). The instructions may have been copied from a “Book of Unguent” mentioned among the library books stored in the temple of Dendara (Chassinat 1966 -: 817)...
irt-akhu
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There recently was an all day Zoom call on this topic. I don't recall who hosted this, but I believe I saw it announced in the weekly EEF news email.
yandiel
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irt-akhu wrote:
There recently was an all day Zoom call on this topic. I don't recall who hosted this, but I believe I saw it announced in the weekly EEF news email.

Do you think parts of it have been posted on social media? I know that I can’t be the only one interested in this topic... The information that I’ve found is quite vague considering that I’ma very persistent person when it comes to gathering information. I’m assuming this so-called “Book of Unguents” has not been discovered or if it has it’s not in a complete form.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dora Goldsmith, PhD student of Egyptology at the Freie Universität Berlin

ANCIENT EGYPTIAN PERFUME WORKSHOP

Cleopatra’s Perfume Recovered? An in depth interview with Dora Goldsmith

Greetings, Lutz.
yandiel
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
Dora Goldsmith, PhD student of Egyptology at the Freie Universität Berlin

ANCIENT EGYPTIAN PERFUME WORKSHOP

Cleopatra’s Perfume Recovered? An in depth interview with Dora Goldsmith

Greetings, Lutz.

Thank you!! I have read about the infamous Cleopatra recreation. I think the recreation is based upon a one famous perfume called “Mendesian/Medesion” with some fusion of another popular perfume from back then called “Metopion”.

It’s nice to know exactly we’ll was in charge of that project as I wasn’t aware beforehand. I’d hope they can come out with a book or information regarding some of their findings. I’m very curious about this so-called “Book of Unguents”, the ancient Egyptians must have had a source to go of off in making some of their concoctions and I’m very surprised that there’s been very little information put out there.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alicia Daneri Rodrigo : Ungüentos de Egipto - El Mendesiano. Su origen y difusión en el Mediterráneo Oriental. - In: Relaciones de intercambio entre Egipto y el Mediterráneo Oriental (IV-I Milenio A.C.). - Buenos Aires: Biblos, 2001. - pp. 149-156.
Quote:
"Unguents of Egypt - The Mendesian. Its origin and distribution in the Eastern Mediterranean."

The use of unguents in Egypt is attested since the earliest periods in religious (temple and funerary), medical and common body care (cosmetic) practices. Although production centers must have been widespread all over the country, classical authors and Hellenistic papyri mention the Delta city of Mendes as a well know centre that produced and exported a high quality unguent, the Mendesian. The preliminary results of the archaeological work carried out by the University of Toronto's Akhenaten Temple Project at Tell er-Rub'a are discussed in relation to the date and location of the industry.

Greetings, Lutz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: