Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smenkhkare
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ikon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder under what circumstances, no matter how seemingly bizarre, could Smenkhare be Akhenaten. Not something that I am proposing, and not something I have ever seen proposed in the past, but maybe worth thinking about even if only to conclusively eliminate the possibility.
karnsculpture
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Smenkhkare being Akhenaten can be ruled out because they are both named on 1 object in Tutankhamunís tomb, along with Meritaten as GRW. This is also the case for the box that has Akhenaten, Ankhepurure + epithet and Meritaten on it. Whoever Smenkhkare was it canít be Akhenaten in my view.
irt-akhu
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this link on a recent EEF News. Maybe makes a case for KV55 being Smenkhare, but its purpose was to give an idea of what the KV55 person's face looked like.

https://www.academia.edu/45428522/FAPAB_KV_55_Akhenaton_media_release_March_8th_2021
karnsculpture
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the final result is pretty close to some depictions of Akhenaten; but if KV55 is Smenkhkare he would look similar as theyíd be full brothers. The whole exercise hasnít really given us anything useful considering that lip and nose shape canít be established though these reconstructions.
Thieuke
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: KV 55 Reply with quote

outside of possible age there are some other objections to KV55 being the mummy of Achenaten. As he is the father of Tut he is the paternal father of the two foetus mummies in Tut's grave. Tut's only known wife Anchesenamun was certainly Achenaten's daughter but the DNA does not allow KV55 to be the paternal and maternal grandfather of the two daughters of Tut.

KV55 is a son of Amenhotep III and his GRW Tiye and the full brother of KV35YL (or at least their DNA is that of full siblings other options might lead to DNA equal to full siblings but no evidence exists of that being the case at this point).
The DNA matches with KV55 and KV35YL being the parents of Tut.

All those thinking of KV55 as Achenaten have never really explained why Achenaten needed at least one and possibly two successors before they came to what in their view is the King's son by either his sister or his GRW. There is no precedence of a Pharaoh dying leaving a son without that son succeeding to the throne and either his stepmother or mother and possibly a foreign prince taking the throne before him. The one or two versions of Ankhepereru suggest something else.

Younger brothers of Pharaohs are rarely listed. Sons are occasionally mentioned but not brothers. So Achenaten could have had a younger brother who was married to his sister and had a son. After his sister died he married his niece Meritaten and succeeded her mother who had become co-regent of her husband at the end of his reign. After he died he was succeeded by his only son: Tut. That makes Tut a king's son and the succession goes normal from his father to him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: