Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

can anyone help ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lou Powell
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:36 am    Post subject: can anyone help ?? Reply with quote

How many different dialects / variations of heiroglyphics are there ?

I have seen my name 'written' in a couple of different ways but can't seem to find enough information on it.

Lou. Confused

Hi to everyone .......... i'm a newby here. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hatshepsu
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm i cant remember where i read it, but i guess its like the english language, its all slowly changed. A few hundred years ago our english was all freaky, so when you think about it, the heiroglyphics would alter through time. Or maybe instead of your name these people were secretly calling you monkey breath. Hard to say. Then again they have symbols for words like "hand" but the have symbols for SPELLING hand. i think all of the different ways to say your name are ligit. However maybe a "better" translator would figure out what your name means and maybe write that, or turn your name into what the egyptians would use (ex: my name is Serena, it means Calm, so either they could write "calm" "serena" or maybe the egyptian term of "calm"). Thats only my veiw on that. Hope i was helpful (and articulate)! Wink
Jason Patterson
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: can anyone help ?? Reply with quote

Lou, there was atleast five that developed from the pre-dynastic era to the New Kingdom. The most common is the translit hieroglyphic. Then you have the hieratic which is like cursive writing for faster recording, then the demotic which is a even fast version of hieratic.

Also Hatshepsu, the hand hieroglyphic in translit is the alphabet for D and its sound. Then you have words that are like this:

wsd which is in english to translit w-kh-d the word is address.
Hatshepsu
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol i was only guessing Very Happy ty for giving a real answer.. haha
Jan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lou,

Egyptians did not actually write vowels but this not usually explained to people who are told that their names can be written in hieroglyphics.

Egyptologist don't know what vowels went in between the consonants of each sign, Idea so for convenience they made up a protocol for putting vowels into hieroglyphs. Most commonly A and E is placed between consonants, Y is transcribed as I and W became U. It is so widespread that many people actually think this is how Egyptian words were pronounced. That's why you see so many Egyptian names spelt different ways. For example; Amun, Amen, Amon etc.

Therefore the heiroglyphs used to spell a name will largely depend on who is doing the writing.

Hope this helps Very Happy
Kev
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try this site out that lets u type in any word and then translates it into Hieroglyphics.

http://www.quizland.com/hiero.mv

kev
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: