Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

River God
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: River God Reply with quote

Hey, the book I just finished reading last night is called "River God" by Wilbur Smith. It is an amazing book, I cried my eyes out when Tanus died. Well, anyways at end of the book the auhor wrote that this was based on actual events writen by the slave Taita in the 1700's B.C. Is this true?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it is not based on real scrolls left by a slave Taita.

The story is set in the second intermediate period and the invasion of the Hyksos. There is some evidence that the Egyptian ruling houses may have moved south, but I don't think they ever went into exile in Ethiopia.
I think they may have moved to Thebes?

That period is not very well understood. It would be fantasic if we would find some scrolls describing some of the events of the time, but so far no such luck for as far as I know.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to ask: Are you planning on reading the second and third part of the trilogy?

Smith also wrote "The Seventh Scroll" and "Warlock".

Part 2 is set in modern times but I really enjoyed that one.
Warlock (part 3) is back in ancient times but a bit too hocus pocus for my taste. Fun to read (don't get me wrong Smile) but not anywhere near as good as the first book.

You made want to go read the book River God again Very Happy
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threre is a used book store by my appartment where I got the first book, so I will check to see if the other books are there, I'm interested in reading them.

Quote:

'You made want to go read the book River God again'

Well, I'm glad to hear that, it's a good book isn't it? Very Happy
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Yes I loved the book the first time around. I got a couple of my friends to read it, and eventually my relatives in Holland even read the whole trilogy in Dutch Smile

I have some memory that sticks out for me which includes a pretty detailed description of what the romms of Lostris look like. I will have to look it up. I think it included a descriptions of baths and running water...
Hope I'm not confusing it with another book, but I don't think so.
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you're right it was this book. Yeah, Taita made an ancient 'toilet' for his mistress, the stool had a hole in it and there was like a little canal running underneath it so when you did your business it would run right on out of your room. Lostris even happily demonstrated it to the Pharaoh Mamose. Laughing
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The story is set in the second intermediate period and the invasion of the Hyksos. There is some evidence that the Egyptian ruling houses may have moved south, but I don't think they ever went into exile in Ethiopia.
I think they may have moved to Thebes?

I don't know of any extant evidence whatsoever that the ruling Egyptians of this period ever retreated to Ethiopia. Anneke's right about Thebes. The Hyksos I believe held Egypt only as far south as Memphis, while the Theban princes were able over time to raise an army that eventually drove out the Hyksos. From that time on Thebes was one of the most powerfully nationalistic regions in the Two Lands and a source of constant problems to the other foreign powers that would later rule Egypt in the north.

Quote:
Taita made an ancient 'toilet' for his mistress, the stool had a hole in it and there was like a little canal running underneath it so when you did your business it would run right on out of your room.

What do you mean, "ancient"? That describes the toilet in my apartment here in Chicago. I'll tell you, on those nights I eat Mexican, I pity the poor people who live in the apartment below me. Very Happy

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What do you mean, "ancient"? That describes the toilet in my apartment here in Chicago. I'll tell you, on those nights I eat Mexican, I pity the poor people who live in the apartment below me.

Laughing Now that's a funny, but gross, image! Laughing

By the way, sesh, have you ever read this book?
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
By the way, sesh, have you ever read this book?

Nope, can't say that I have. Historical fiction is not typically my genre. I've read The Ptolemies and Pompeii, and that's about as much historical fiction as I've read in the last few years. However, anneke is on the verge of convincing me to read something by Elizabeth Peters; her real name is Barbara Mertz and she's a degreed Egyptologist, so that makes me take notice. Archaeology magazine recently did a nice writeup on her.

Visit my blog!
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you think of Pompeii, kmt_sesh? I thought it was soooo cool! It really made you feel as if you were there during the eruption and the things leading up to it, of which mst people seemed to be unaware.

By all means, read Elizabeth Peters! The trials and tribulations of her characters, Amelia, her husband Radcliff, and their son, Rameses are wonderful! Be sure to read them in order, so you'll understand what's happening. If you order through Amazon, check out the recommendations--someone will have a list in order!
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed Pompeii and would recommend it to anyone. I'm not even very interested in classical Rome and bought the book thinking it was a history of the city of Pompeii and its destruction. We have a large Pompeii exhibit at the Field Museum coming up in October, so I thought I would start reading a bit about the history of the city. I read it anyway and was glad I did. You're right, you really get the feeling of the time and place. I enjoyed it a lot.

I'm sure I'll end up reading some of Peters's books, though I don't know if I'll read them all. There are a lot of them!

Visit my blog!
Diorite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pompeii, is this the recent book about the guy who maintained the aqueducts? The story was so-so. The best part was the geologic research the author had done.

Diorite, volcanophile, too
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently purchased Ghosts of Vesuvius, by Charles Pellegrino. My coordinator at the museum recommended it and was interested in Pellegrino's geological details about the lead-up to the eruption. Neither he nor I care much for Rome, but he swears by this book. I look forward to reading it.

Visit my blog!
akhenaten
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="anneke"]No it is not based on real scrolls left by a slave Taita.
quote]

I'm not altogether sure about that? The author's note states that the tomb of Lostris did indeed contain scrolls written by Taita, he just updated them and put them inr eadable fashion for the River God novel. It's explained in Seventh Scroll, where they actually find the Pharaoh's tomb. I can't be absolutely sure, but I think it's a real account.
Tehuti
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: River God Reply with quote

I first read Wilbur Smith's River God over a year ago, and have just re-read it. I now have the internet at home and decided to look a little bit up on the net only to come across many sites saying that the book is purely fictional and that Taita never existed...I'm heartbroken...is it true? Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: