Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Royal Nurses and Tutors
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Royal Nurses and Tutors Reply with quote

This topic came up in a conversation a while ago, and I started to see how many nurses and tutors I could find.

This is what I have found so far. Know any others?

17th Dynasty
The Lady Rai was nurse to Ahmose Nefertari

Tuthmosis I
Paheri, grandson of Ahmose son of Ebana was tutor to the royal princes Wadjmose and Amenmose.

Hatshepsut
Sitre called In was the Royal nurse to Hatshepsut.

Senimen was Nurse of the God's Wife (Neferura)
Ahmose Pennekhbet was laso named tutor of Neferura
Senenmut was also a nurse/tutor to Neferura.

Temp. Tuthmosis III - Amenhotep II
Baki , Chief royal nurse (TT85). Married to Amenemheb called Mahu , commander of soldiers,

Taonet , a King’s nurse (TT86) was married to Amenemhet. Her son. Menkheperraseneb was High Priest of Amun, Superintendent of the Gold and silver treasuries, Chief of the Overseers of Craftsmen under Tuthmosis III

Neit , Chief Royal nurse, Governess of the god (TT88). She was married to Pehsukher called Tjenenu, Lieutenant of the King, Standard-bearer of Pharaoh. (Sons: Amenhotep and Amenmose.)

Amenemipet, Qenamun’s mother was the nurse of Amenhotep II. Qenamun became High steward, and Royal Steward of Amenhotep II (Buried in TT93)

Hunayt was Chief nurse of the Lord of the Two Lands. She was married to Nebpehtire, First prophet of Min of Koptos. Her son Mery (TT95) became High priest of Amun under Amenhotep II

Sentnefert, and Senetnay were Royal Nurses to the king (It’s possible that there is one nurse with 2 different names). She/ they were married to Sennefer (TT96), Mayor of Thebes, Chancellor to Amenhotep II, Overseer of the Granaries of Amen, Overseer of the Fields of Amen, High Priest of Amen in Menisut and Superintendent of Amen's Gardens under Amenhotep II. She and her husband may have eventually been buried in TT42.

The mother of Kaemheribsen, Third prophet of Amun, (TT98) was a Chief nurse of the Lord of the Two Lands. Kaemheribsen lived during the times of Tuthmosis III and Amenhotep II

Min (TT109) was a tutor of Amenhotep II. He was also mayor of Tjeny (Thinis), Overseer of the prophets of Onuris, Min is shown teaching prince Amenhotep how to shoot, and with the prince on his lap.

Temp. Tuthmosis IV
Meryt was nurse of the King’s daughter Tia, and Chief of the Harem of Sobek of Shedty, (TT 63). Married to Sobekhotep, mayor of Fayum, Son: Paser.

Heqaerneheh, nurse of the king's son Amenhotep, TT64. His father was Hekreshu, Tutor of the King’s Son

Nefertwah was nurse of the King’s son Menkheperure (Tuthmosis IV). She was married to a scribe of the counting of bread (name lost) under Tuthmosis IV. (TT350)

Horemheb (TT78) was tutor of Princess Amenmipet (probably a daughter of Tuthmosis IV). He was also a scribe of recruits and master of the Horse. Horemheb served from the time of Tuthmosis III to Amenhotep III (long service!)

Amenhotep III
Heqareshu (TT226) was overseer of nurses of the king. Heqareshu is shown with four children of Amenhotep III on his knees.

Tey, wife of Aye, was nurse and tutor to Queen Nefertiti.

Akhenaten
Tia (?) was the nurse to Ankhesenamen (I have seen this statement made, but don’t know where the info comes from)

Maia was the wet-nurse of Tutankhamen (tomb found in Saqqara)
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just realized I forgot two:

Atefrura, husband of Kem and son-in-law of Ahmose (son of Ebana) was tutor to Prince Wadjmose

Ipu was a royal nurse. She was also wife of Ahmose Pennekhbet and mother to Queen Satiah. (Wife of Tuthmosis III)
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Akhenaten
Tia (?) was the nurse to Ankhesenamen (I have seen this statement made, but don’t know where the info comes from)

There is a talatat block at the Metropolitan Museum where she is "Nurse of the Kings Daughter Ankhesenpaaten, Tia"
Seems she is the only named nurse of the Amarna princesses found - so far anyways.

I also have Ahmose Humay (TT224) as Tutor to the king (Amenhotep II) and Supervisor of the Harem.
Our old favourite the Spanish site has an interesting family tree for this family though I can't make out some of the names in the english translation.

Aper-el (Vizier, Mayor of the City, First Phophet of the Aten, Father of the God, Judge, Messenger of the King, Nobleman, Chancellor of the king of Lower Egypt, Child of the Kap etc...) was also Tutor to the Royal children.

Hennuttawi is "Head Nurse, the one that fed the God, praised by the God, the Lady of the House Hennuttawi, justified". The god being Amenhotep II. It appears that this inscription in a chapel in Gebel Silsilah is the only documentation for her. She must have known Ahmose Humay.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info Sesen. Smile

I had no idea at all that Aperel was a tutor.
Considering his semitic sounding name, I'm sure the "Akhenaten is Moses crowd" must be having a field day with that Laughing
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sesen wrote:

I also have Ahmose Humay (TT224) as Tutor to the king (Amenhotep II) and Supervisor of the Harem.
Our old favourite the Spanish site has an interesting family tree for this family though I can't make out some of the names in the english translation.

Just looked at the site again. It is a very confusing tree. Sennefer is supposed to be the son of Ahmose Humay according to the info I have.

I have Sennefer and Amenemopet called Pairy as the sons of Ahmose called Humay and his wife Nub.

The comment about Mutnefert being a sister of a nurse of the two lands is ambiguous at best. Does that make her sister Mut-Tuy or Nefertiry a nurse? Neither seems to have that title. There is supposedly an unnamed son of Sennefer. Is he a nurse? Or are they referring to Kenamun? In this case 'sister' of the nurse really meanig 'wife' to the nurse?

Weird....

Very Happy
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just going back up your list for a moment, this guy stood out to me:
Quote:
Min (TT109) was a tutor of Amenhotep II. He was also mayor of Tjeny (Thinis), Overseer of the prophets of Onuris, Min is shown teaching prince Amenhotep how to shoot, and with the prince on his lap.

How extraordinary! Amenhotep II was to become very famous for his shooting prowess, and it may well have been this man who was responsible for honing that skill.

Quote:
There is supposedly an unnamed son of Sennefer.

In the tomb of Sennefer a man is clothed in the leopard skin of a priest and preforms purifying rites etc on Sennefer and his wife. I presume this is his unnamed son.
Aided by my pet taxi driver and liberal quanties of financial incentives I was able to get a few photos (non flash of course) inside his tomb. Because of not using a flash they are not the best qualitywise but I focused mainly on the young girl (Mut-tuy) depicted at the feet of Sennefer and the image of the son. I'm going to upload them to webshots, maybe with some help, a name can be spotted.

It's interesting that Kenamun marries Mutnofert. The spanish site gives no reference for this info - have you any idea where this comes from?
I have a wife named Tadidites for him. Could be one of two wives.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could also be one of two (three?) Kenamuns Wink

I have:
TT93. Qenamun, High steward, Royal Steward of Amenhotep II, Temp. Amenhotep II Qenamun's mother was the nurse of Amenhotep II. He may have been brought up with the future king.

TT162. Qenamun, Mayor of Thebes, Overseer of the Granary of Amun, mid Dynasty 18
Wife: Mut-Tuy

TT412. Qenamun, king's scribe, mid Dynasty 18

So, who knows...

Which one of those (if any) has a wife named Tadedites? I know I have read that name somewhere but can't remember where.
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Why am I not surprised that there are so many Kenamuns.

The Kenamun I have is the one buried in TT 93. Mother was Amenemopet, the Royal Nurse and his father may have been a man by the name of Nebiri. There was a brother Kaemheribsen who was Third Prophet of Amun (TT 98 ). This Kenamun's wife is the lady I have named as Tadidites (bit of an odd name). I also have him as a Sealbearer.

The Mayor of Thebes Kenamun (TT 162) looks interesting with a wife named Mut Tuy. I wonder how he fits in the time line around Sennefer (must be earlier do you think?) as he was Mayor and Overseer of the Grainaries of Amun also.
Smile Very tempting to speculate on him being a father of Sennefer's wife, Senetnay/Meryt..
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sesen wrote:
Smile Why am I not surprised that there are so many Kenamuns. .

LOL Yup, always at least 2 of any given interesting name right? Laughing

Sesen wrote:
The Kenamun I have is the one buried in TT 93. Mother was Amenemopet, the Royal Nurse and his father may have been a man by the name of Nebiri. There was a brother Kaemheribsen who was Third Prophet of Amun (TT 98 ). This Kenamun's wife is the lady I have named as Tadidites (bit of an odd name). I also have him as a Sealbearer..

That all rings a bell. Still have no idea why they think Nebiri may be the father though...

Sesen wrote:
The Mayor of Thebes Kenamun (TT 162) looks interesting with a wife named Mut Tuy. I wonder how he fits in the time line around Sennefer (must be earlier do you think?) as he was Mayor and Overseer of the Granaries of Amun also.
Smile Very tempting to speculate on him being a father of Sennefer's wife, Senetnay/Meryt..

Interesting point. Some posts could pass from father to son. Sennefer also seems to have had an unnamed son. But I have no exact idea what the "mid Dynasty 18" would mean qua dates. My guess is that it covers Tuthmosis III - Tuthmosis IV but I'm not sure.

Early 18th dynasty would be Ahmose, Amenhotep I, Tuthmosis I for sure.
maybe Tuthmosis II and Hatshepsut as well?

Mid 18th dynasty could be Tuthmosis III , Amenhotep II, Tuthmosis IV.

I think Amenhotep III would be put with late 18th dynasty. with of course Akhenaten, Ankh(et)kheperure, Tutankhamen, Aye and Horemheb.

They use these descriptions of early, mid and late, but I have not seen a definition of these terms.
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mid 18th dynasty could be Tuthmosis III , Amenhotep II, Tuthmosis IV.

Sometime around Thutmose III would in theory be a good time for a father of Senetnay.
I've uploaded my photos of Sennefers tomb. They're not very good I'm afraid. But I have a couple of the possible son.
http://community.webshots.com/album/362544021yYsAIp
The first pic is from the first room, the rest from the burial chamber.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the sem-priest the possible son of Sennefer?

I like how on the 9th picture you can see the sheer material of the outfit Sennefer is wearing. They actually painted the body in a slightly different color underneath the robe. Smile
Iufaa
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Sem priest Reply with quote

Hello anneke,

their are 2 sem-priests depicted in the tomb of Sennefer. This one ist just a sem. However, according to Porter&Moss, Vol. I-1 and Hodel-Hoeness, Leben und Tod im alten Ägypten. Darmstadt 1991, there is a son depicted as a sem-priest on the inner right jamb of the entrance. He is censing and libating to his parents.

Iufaa
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that information Iufaa.

Is the name of this son of Sennefer known?

And welcome to Egyptian Dreams:D
Iufaa
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
for anybody who is interested in tutors and nurses there is a conpleted survey available in:

Catharine H. Roerhrig:
The Eighteenth Dynasty titels royal nurse (mn´t nswt), royal tutor (mn´nswt), and foster brother/sister of the Lord of the Two Lands (sn/snt mn´n nb t3wy).
Berkeley 1990.

This is her thesis and most likely only available at Universities.

Iufaa

p.s. I did not find any information about the son of Sennefer in my records
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iufaa wrote:
Quote:
their are 2 sem-priests depicted in the tomb of Sennefer. This one ist just a sem. However, according to Porter&Moss, Vol. I-1 and Hodel-Hoeness, Leben und Tod im alten Ägypten. Darmstadt 1991, there is a son depicted as a sem-priest on the inner right jamb of the entrance. He is censing and libating to his parents.

Very Happy Thanks too Iufaa.
So the son priest is not the guy in my photo? How annoying Confused
I took the photo of the priest from the right side as you walk inside the inner chamber. But its the only relief of that sort I had time to get a shot of.
Would still be interesting to know the name of the priest shown. Its probable he had some close connection to the family.
Very Happy Hows your glyph reading going Anneke?...... is kmt_sesh here??
*help*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: