Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's your specialty?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:09 am    Post subject: What's your specialty? Reply with quote

I think it's safe to say we all have our own favorite fields of study when it comes to ancient Egypt. Just as every Egyptologist starts out, we who have become addicted to ancient Egypt began by reading all sorts of stuff that covers a wide range of topics. We still do, of course, but just like Egyptologists, I think we all eventually find one field of study that particularly interests us. No one can know it all, despite what some people might think of themselves, and the greatest Egyptologists from the beginning to the present all generally specialize in a particular field.

I was wondering what you folks find especially interesting about ancient Egypt? What drives you to keep reading and researching and studying? It's no secret that I'm particularly fond of the hieroglyphic language and am an ongoing student of it, but were I to choose just one field, it would have to be death and burial (mummification, tomb equipment, funerary rituals, and the like). But there's a lot more out there, too. Architecture, materials and crafts, the gods and goddesses, the royal families and their lineages and courtiers, religion and festivals, the government and its branches, a certain period of predynastic or dynastic times, et cetera.

Also, just for fun, if you want to point out a favorite field of study, I thought it would be interesting for those of you who wish to participate to mention just one book that you feel has especially enlightened and guided you in your studies. Yeah, I know, for some of us this might be extremely difficult, but give it a try. Just one!

It's hard for me to chose, too, but for my choice I name a book I've recommended numerous times here at our forum: Death and the Afterlife in Ancient Egypt, by John H. Taylor (University of Chicago Press, 2001).

I look forward to reading your responses. Very Happy

Visit my blog!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find a lot to like about Ancient Egypt, but what I keep coming back to is the history of the 18th Dynasty.
I just find this historical period absolutely fascinating.
And it's the history in all of it's aspects that I enjoy learning about. The King's and Queens are interesting, but so are the courtiers and the other aspects of life. I think it's in a way a period where there's enough information available that I feel I have a window back through time (small and with obstructed view at times but a window nonetheless.)

ONE BOOK???? *grmbl*

Cyril Aldred's Akhenaten. A great book and it got me on a path to reading books by the scholars.

Are you sure you won't let me squeeze in a couple more? Laughing
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love everything about ancient Egypt, but what really attracts my attention is probably make-up, beauty, fashion, and jewelry. I just find it fascinating that we are even still practicing some of these things today like khol eyeliner, style of sandles, charms, beauty products, sometimes I'll come across a piece of clothing in modern fashion magazines that was inspired by ancient Egyptian fashion. And also their style is just so beautiful and comfortable.

But mummification isn't too far behind, I once tried to mummified a mouse I found in my garden but my cat dug it up (I didn't have a sarcophogus to protect it). Razz
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
Quote:
ONE BOOK???? *grmbl*

Laughing Laughing Laughing I knew that restriction would be especially difficult on you! You were already kind enough to post your favorites in the Books section and I didn't want to turn this thread into something better suited there, but by all means throw in a couple more! You've already proven to me that you have terrific taste in books--my pocketbook is lighter because of it. Surprised

I'm not surprised by your choice of the 18th Dynasty and your book selection. Your many posts bear that out, and you are Egyptian Dreams's unqualified expert on the royal families and courtiers. I wish I knew a quarter of the amount you know in that subject!

Daniella wrote:
Quote:
...what really attracts my attention is probably make-up, beauty, fashion, and jewelry

I had thought you might choose this, Daniella. You show a true interest in it and could probably teach us all a lot about this subject. I may be a guy, but I find myself growing more interested in the "feminine" side of ancient Egypt ever since I read gay Robins's book Women in Ancient Egypt. I'm sure that's one you would really enjoy. I'd bet you'd also like to see the many cosmetic pieces we have in our exhibit at the Field: ointment and perfume vessels, mirrors, kohl spoons and containers, combs. These are some of our most beautiful pieces, in my opinion, and reflect how masterful the Egyptians were in the production of such dainty, finely crafted objects.

Quote:
But mummification isn't too far behind, I once tried to mummified a mouse I found in my garden but my cat dug it up (I didn't have a sarcophogus to protect it).

So the little mouse ended up as an offering to your own Bastet? Were you able to perform the Opening of the Mouth ceremony before kitty munched it? Surprised I've talked with schoolkids who've mummified chickens for their class projects. How cool is that!

Visit my blog!
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My specialty subject is mythology, and I have a fascination for the gods, religion and magic of ancient Egypt. I know the Osiris myth by heart. I admit I'm stoopid with other Egyptian subjects-I can't tell one dynasty from another, I know nothing about the non-well-known pharaohs and queens, and cannot understand hieroglyphics or the Egyptian language...

You mean the Opening of the Mouse ceremony Daniella? Laughing

I think the Egyptians are very stylish indeed. I have yet to find any modern fashion or sandals inspired by it though. Make up, maybe. I know one shop that sells kohl (probably not real kohl, as that stuff is poisonous, isn't it?) in the traditional Moroccan style pots. Ok, not Egyptian, but this eyeliner is not pencil, but powdered similar to what ancients or traditional Middle eastern woman used. I also know that the Egyptian style was very influential to Art deco, and I did see pictures of a modern fashion show with Egyptian influence. One could even stretch it as far as the fact we're still wearing sheer linen like the ancients did, but obviously cut in different styles like shirts and pants etc. So I don't think the Ancient Egyptian fashion got to that, but you never know. And much cheaper, as sheer linen was really pricey in Egyptian times, but now it's not. some people even make a comparison with the fashion for braids and *** as coming from ancient Egyptian wigs. I'm not sure, but I see where they're coming from.

but Daniella, please tell me where you've seen Egyptian style dresses and sandals-I wanna buy!!! The only Egyptian things I've seen on the high street is jewellery inspired by it, or fancy dress clothes...
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea for a thread kmt_sesh Smile.
It's rather neat to see people identify their interests and it really does correspond to what people have been most engaged in on the board.

I love the fact that the interests are so widespread.

Daniella wrote:
But mummification isn't too far behind, I once tried to mummified a mouse I found in my garden but my cat dug it up

Very Happy What did you mummify it with if I may ask? I wouldn't know where to get natron. Try table salt instead?
LOL I just have this image of the mouse taking a bite and spitting it back out because it's too salty Laughing

kmt_sesh wrote:
I knew that restriction would be especially difficult on you! You were already kind enough to post your favorites in the Books section and I didn't want to turn this thread into something better suited there, but by all means throw in a couple more!

LOL I understood why you put the restriction in Smile You don't really want this to turn into a bibliography. My other choice was Breasted's Ancient Records (Hah! That's several volumes! Surprised )

And thanks for the compliment Kmt_sesh. I may have to share the role of expert on families in AE with Sesen though. That lady knows her stuff too.

And to return the favor: This forum would not be as high quality as it is without you. Wink (Shall we stop the mutual admiration society now? Before we nauseate the others? Very Happy Too late? Laughing)

Isisinacrisis wrote:
You mean the Opening of the Mouse ceremony Daniella?

LOL. That just cracked me up. Smile
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
gay Robins's book Women in Ancient Egypt. I'm sure that's one you would really enjoy.

I've just added it to my list of books to buy, thank you! Very Happy
Quote:
So the little mouse ended up as an offering to your own Bastet? Were you able to perform the Opening of the Mouth ceremony before kitty munched it? I've talked with schoolkids who've mummified chickens for their class projects. How cool is that!

Laughing Mind you I was only 14 when I did this so I wasn't aware of the opening of the mouth ceromony yet, I just liked to play with dead things. Confused
That's cool that those schoolkids got to mummify chickens though. Smile

Quote:
but Daniella, please tell me where you've seen Egyptian style dresses and sandals-I wanna buy!

Umm, at Wal*Mart I've seen sandals made from..like light brown tweed or something. And regular thongs(sandals not panties)would be considered to be inpired by the ancient Egyptian way, I think. At Target.com I found a shirt that had a turquiose, a coral colour, and gold collar sewn in to a white tak top, but it was halter styled, I thought it looked a little Egyptian. But I have made my own clothes that mimick the AE way, for example: long sheer linen skirts (I make mine fuller so I have room to walk), white linen tops with two thin straps to cover the nippies(I've learned to make them wider...alot wider) Actually I'm designing a wedding dress right now and I've been searching the net for pictures of ancient Egyptian gowns so I can make it almost excactly like them, jewelry and all, but I need a stretchy fabric so it fits perfectly and so it's comfortable.

Quote:
What did you mummify it with if I may ask? I wouldn't know where to get natron. Try table salt instead?

Yes I did use table salt, and I used toilette paper for stuffing and wrapping, and I put his viscera in a little gold pill box. My mom wasn't impressed. Surprised

Quote:
And to return the favor: This forum would not be as high quality as it is without you.

AWWWW! That was so sweet! You two are adorable! Laughing

Quote:

Laughing You're such a witty gal!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniella wrote:
Actually I'm designing a wedding dress right now and I've been searching the net for pictures of ancient Egyptian gowns so I can make it almost excactly like them, jewelry and all, but I need a stretchy fabric so it fits perfectly and so it's comfortable.

Your own wedding dress? Smile
I did a search on the web because we had a discussion a while ago about art deco and how that was inspired by the egyptians. It's hard to find exemples of dresses that look Egyptian I think, but I did come across these two examples:
http://www.daads.org/modern/1302/fashion5.jpg
The wrap really strikes me as Egyptian stiled as well.
(from this page: http://www.daads.org/modern/1302/fashion.htm )

The second one is an art deco wedding dress. I'm not into veils myself, but the way the dress is draped looks somewhat egyptian to me.
http://www.collectorsprints.com/_images/artdeco/nouvelle/artdecoweddingdress-400.jpg

I'm always impressed by people who can make their own clothes. Both my sisters are good at it. I have never really tried my hand at it.
Afraid I wouldn't get further than a glorified sack cloth Laughing

Daniella wrote:
Yes I did use table salt, and I used toilette paper for stuffing and wrapping, and I put his viscera in a little gold pill box. My mom wasn't impressed. Surprised

Wow, I am.
Hope you dug up the gold box though Laughing

Last edited by anneke on Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Your own wedding dress?

Yes, it's for me but I don't know when I am getting married....My darn boyfriend still hasn't asked me!! Just kidding, I don't want him to ask me that stupid corny question, we both know the answer. I'm not a very romantic person. We're going to start planning it sometime next month.

Quote:
The second one is an art deco wedding dress. I'm not into veils myself, but the way the dress is draped looks somewhat egyptian to me.

It's a nice dress, but I want mine to be a bit more revealing...revealing might not be the right word, how about weather appropriate? Yeah I'm not into veils, they're so cliche, plus they symbolize virginity, and who would I be kidding? Laughing

Quote:
Wow, I am.
Hope you dug up the gold box though

Thanks. I did dig it up and I added the contents to my frog heart and spiders lEgs. (I stole the frog heart from biology class when we disected frogs, we were allowed to keep the eyes, but I wanted the HEART!! MMMWAA HAHAHAHA!!) Laughing
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, to my untrained eye those art deco dresses don't look that Egyptian. Sorry. Plus Egyptian dresses didn't have long sleeves like the wedding dress (it's too hot for that!) plus that link is broken Sad

And I think kmt-sesh dispelled the common misconception that Egyptian women were always bare breasted and said the Egyptian dresses start above the breasts.

I've never heard of thong sandals being Egyptian inspired-are things the same as flip-flops? It seems anyone can say 'oh the Egyptians invented it' to give things a bit of 'ancient mystique' but without real hard proof...gah, I'm such a moody sceptic today, excuse me! Laughing
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you on the dresses but the sandals I have today could pass for ancient! (well with the exception of the number 7 on the sole) I mean all of the depictions of sandals (in paintings, on statues and actual sandals made from the papyrus reed) the straps are designed to begin between your big and second toe and end on the sandal beside your arch of your foot and they probably would make a flip floppy sound when walked in.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the top of the wedding dress doesn't look that egyptian. That's why is said that the way it drapes reminds me of egyptian dresses.

Men did actually wear clothing with sleeves.

The women that come to mind had these drapes (stoles?) around their shoulders that covered their upper arms. Some even seem to have draped their dress so that it covered one arm.
Ankhesenamen wore something covering her upper arms on the throne:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/egyptians/images/tut_back_panel_throne.jpg

It always looks like she's wearing long-johns under her dress Laughing
I think that's a tight sheet dress with a wider wrap over it though.

It wasn't hot year around, so they must have had something for the chillier days Very Happy
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Men did actually wear clothing with sleeves.

Yes, in later times tunics were worn....wait a minute tunics are so in style right now! Smile

Quote:
It always looks like she's wearing long-johns under her dress

Long-johns rock! Being a Canadian I've learned to love them (in the winter that is) Very Happy

Quote:
It wasn't hot year around, so they must have had something for the chillier days

Yeah, they wrapped a large triangular piece of cloth around and tied it in the middle either covering both arms or just one (in that case it was tied just under the breast)....wait a minute, kind of like shawls we wear today or dare I say..ponchos? No actually I think ponchos origionated in Mexico, correct me if I am wrong. Razz

red
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies for double posting.

The red thing was just me testing out if the colour works.

isisinacrisis wrote:
Quote:
And I think kmt-sesh dispelled the common misconception that Egyptian women were always bare breasted and said the Egyptian dresses start above the breasts.

Yes, you've said that before, it's just nobody mentioned anything about clothes baring breasts in this thread. You know solving the mysteries of ancient Egypt is great, but not everything that was once believed needs to be proved wrong or actually thought wrong., and turned into a "misconception" because we don't know how women wore the clothes, we can only use educated guesses. Sorry I guess I'm a moody sceptic tonight too. After baby-sitting my brothers all day you'd feel the same. Laughing
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodness, this seems to be turning into a lively discussion.

anneke wrote:
Quote:
And to return the favor: This forum would not be as high quality as it is without you. (Shall we stop the mutual admiration society now? Before we nauseate the others? Too late? )

Thanks, anneke. I appreciate the kind words. And you're right, it's too late...the others are either dabbing the tears from their eyes, or are retching into their wastebackets right now. Surprised

isisinacrisis wrote:
Quote:
My specialty subject is mythology, and I have a fascination for the gods, religion and magic of ancient Egypt.

I'm not surprised by your response. I've always enjoyed your posts about Egyptian religion, and your zeal to learn more about the gods and goddesses is evident. It's such a fascinating subject and one about which I admit I need to learn more. It's one of the most demanding and complex studies of ancient Egypt, and I think that's part of the appeal...one is continuously challenged to learn more.

Quote:

Damn, if that didn't just crack me up. I can't believe that one didn't occur to me. You're too quick for me, isisinacrisis!

Daniella wrote:
Quote:
Yes I did use table salt, and I used toilette paper for stuffing and wrapping, and I put his viscera in a little gold pill box. My mom wasn't impressed.

Wow, you really did go the whole nine yards. You actually exracted the teeny-weeny organs? Did you use an obsidian knife? My big question is, did you extract the brain through the nose? And, how does one find a mouse's nostril? Shocked

Quote:
but not everything that was once believed needs to be proved wrong or actually thought wrong., and turned into a "misconception" because we don't know how women wore the clothes, we can only use educated guesses. Sorry I guess I'm a moody sceptic tonight too. After baby-sitting my brothers all day you'd feel the same.

You make a good point, Daniella, but remember that in tombs archaeologists have found plentiful clothing, including women's gowns and dresses. From there it's not too hard to determine how such garments were fitted on the female body.

You're going to love gay Robins's book, by the way! Very Happy

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: