Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's your specialty?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it would be anything Amarna related, especially the religious aspects of that period.
Smenkare
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too. The Amarna period definately.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why, ImageOfAten, the Amarna Period, really? I never woulda thunk it. Very Happy

As for me, as interesting as Akhenaten's reign was, it's just one brief period within the greater Dynasty 18. All of Dynasty 18 in total is fascinating, and contains some of the most interesting personages from ancient Egypt.

Visit my blog!
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why, ImageOfAten, the Amarna Period, really? I never woulda thunk it.

I had a feeling a statement like that was coming soon. Laughing

I do have to agree with your opinion on the whole 18th dynasty, but I will always favor the Amarna times over the rest of the fabulous dynasty.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you'd enjoy the new Tut exhibit, ImageOfAten. Well, it's been in the U.S. for a while now but it's new in Chicago. There's not much strictly on Akhenaten but I'm sure you'd love to see the colossal Akhenaten head, which is very impressive. It's up fairly high, as it would've been seen by the ancients. You can also see this famous bust of Nefertiti, as well as a beautifully carved relief from an Amarna palace balustrade showing Akhenaten, Nefertiti, and probably Meritaten worshipping the Aten (couldn't find a picture of it on our web pages but you're welcome to explore them.) There's quite a bit more Amarna Period art throughout the exhibit. Smile

Visit my blog!
Smartie
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm..probably the New Kingdom, then anything up until the 23 dynasty. I know a lot more about the Ramesside period (probably because we have more info. from this time period)
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of things about AE that interest me:

Mythology: I have always found it fascinating how the AE's religion was very peaceful. Many ancient religions were all about human sacrifice, to their gods as well as to their kings. I know there is some evidence that sacrifice was practiced in AE, but not to the extent that it was in many religions. I think that the mythological stories are very interesting as well.
Ramses: I find the timeline from Ramses I - Ramses III very interesting, also the time around Tuthmose III and Hatshepsut. I consider the early pyramid building Pharaohs very interesting too.
Deir el-Medina: I love everything about the people that lived in the village, there are so many interesting stories to have come from this one area.

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Deir el-Medina: I love everything about the people that lived in the village, there are so many interesting stories to have come from this one area.

I second that one, Daughter_Of_SETI. My own main interests are (1) death and burial and (2) hieroglyphs, but the workmen's village of Deir el Medina has become a sideline of study for me. The more I read about it, the more hooked I get. Such a wealth of material has been found there that we're afforded a fascinating and intimate glimpse of the every-day lives of these industrious people.

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: