Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An Egyptian Dream
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
Whyever should I be in therapy? All of the roiling voices in my head tell me I'm quite sane--it's the rest of you who are bananas. Twisted Evil

Yup chiquita bananas, all of us..... Wearing other fruit on our head and dancing... Oh wait that was something I saw on tv. Never mind Laughing

kmt_sesh wrote:

Are you curious to find one, anneke? I happen to drive by one every day on my way to work. I'll have them call you. Very Happy

Moi? No need. Smile
Hmmm no quip comes to mind to get back at you. It will come at some point. But you won't know when it will come... Evil or Very Mad

Quote:
What's a Merlin? .... It sounds familiar, though. Once you say what it is I will say "OH YEAH!!!"

Merlin was the wizard at King Arthur's court...
Robe, long white beard....
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Moi? No need.
Hmmm no quip comes to mind to get back at you. It will come at some point. But you won't know when it will come...

Hit me with your best shot, baby.

Quote:

Hmm, sounds like Ghandolf from Lord of the Rings, or possibly God...or maybe even me in about 30 years, in my nursing home, where I'll be vegetating in a recliner as I absently watch daytime dramas. Shocked

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Merlin was the wizard at King Arthur's court...

OH YEAH!!! just kidding. I actually didn't know that, I thought you were refering to the bird. Razz
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can honestly say I don't have problems with the paralysis part of the thing. Can't say I don't have nightmares, though.

I had gotten up to use the restroom, then gone back to bed. I was on my stomach, with my face towards the wall and the knee on that side of the bed pulled up. I drifted into the weird state between sleeping and being awake and started to dream right away. What was the dream? I was lying in bed in that exact position when I spotted one of the scorpion-like things from "Alien", the one that emplants the critter inside you, climbing up the side of the bed. I started trying to get out of bed going the other way. I was going one direction, my knee was still pointed at the wall. I jolted awake screaming in pain. A trip to the doctor showed I'd torn my anterior cruciate ligament. No sleep paralysis there!

It's one of those things hard to explain to people. "How did you hurt your knee?" Oh, I was trying to get out of bed to escape the critter from "Alien"....

The closest I ever came to an ancient Egyptian dream was one where I ended up on a terrace above a river and the surface of the terrace was very colorful mosaic made to look like scenes you see on tomb walls.

Diorite
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my goodness, that sounds like a scary dream! And that sucks that you hurt yourself too. Sad You're probably likely to sleep walk, maybe.

I guess, hearing your experience, it would be safer to be paralysed while having a night-mare. Have you ever had a dream where someone or something is chasing you and you are running as fast as you can but you aren't really going anywhere? I hate that!

The Egyptian dream sounds really nice though. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was lying in bed in that exact position when I spotted one of the scorpion-like things from "Alien", the one that emplants the critter inside you, climbing up the side of the bed. I started trying to get out of bed going the other way. I was going one direction, my knee was still pointed at the wall. I jolted awake screaming in pain. A trip to the doctor showed I'd torn my anterior cruciate ligament. No sleep paralysis there!

I agree with Daniella--it would have been better had you been in a state of paralysis. Ouch! Those things from Alien are just too creepy. Had I dreamt about one of those things climbing up the side of my bed, I probably would've taken a header right out the window and plunged five stories to a messy demise.

So what would have happened had you not woken up screaming? Would you have dreamt the thing mounted your face and stuck its tube thing down your throat, only to wake up later to find half your pillow rammed into your mouth? No, not a good idea, you may have suffocated in that case. A torn ligament is a better deal in the end, but again...Ouch!

Visit my blog!
TPWMH
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing It was worth joining this site just to read these posts. I like the freindliness and liking for a good laugh.
By the way, what can I do with a parrot who's pining for the fijords? I keep hitting mine but he won't shut up moaning. As for those bl***y knights who say 'Ni' ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh outside my window all flipping day they've been.
Oh well, tara for now.
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
By the way, what can I do with a parrot who's pining for the fijords? I keep hitting mine but he won't shut up moaning. As for those bl***y knights who say 'Ni' ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh outside my window all flipping day they've been.

Laughing Laughing

Quote:
I like the freindliness and liking for a good laugh.

What friendlyness? We all hate eachother here! Laughing no. Yeah, you'll find yourself chuckling quite a bit here, learning should be fun!

I have another question, can anybody here wake themselves up from a dream if it has become too intense? Because I can and people often find it strange.
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there are some people who 'lucid dream' which means they can have control of their dreams. I've never had such a thing though. I think lucid dreaming is a skill only certain people have...I have weird dreams, but I can never control them, even if they are scary. But the worst thing is being woken up from a really good dream. Like the ones where I go to Egypt. I never ever want to wake up from those!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know there are some people who 'lucid dream' which means they can have control of their dreams.

Well, I don't think that I have control over my dreams, like make things happen, but if the dream gets too scary I can wake myself up or I can make it scarier....so maybe I can control them..to a certain dgree of course.

Quote:
But the worst thing is being woken up from a really good dream. Like the ones where I go to Egypt.

I hate that! I have cursed at my boyfriend for doing that several times. I hate to be woken up anyways nevermind from a cool dream.
I think I dreamt of Egypt last night, I can't remember, but I feel like I did.

Hey I read in one of my Egypt books last night that the ancient Egyptians thought that their dreams were reflections on their daily lives aswell, I'll read more into it but I thought that was kinda cool.
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also had these dreams where I was about to be told 'great secrets' by some wise goddess like figure or some great mage, and before they told me this amazing knowledge, I woke up! And then there are the dreams when you are given a wonderful gift, like lots of money, and you wake up only to realise it wasn't real!

I wonder how the ancient Egyptians themselves saw dreams? Did they read mystical significance into them?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a papyrus (now in the British Museum I think) that talks about dream interpretations:

Dreaming of….

…a deep well meant prison
…a mirror indicated a second wife
…a shining moon represented forgiveness
…a large cat symbolized a bumper crop

If a man sees himself in a dream -

…..dead – good omen, meaning long life
…..eating crocodile flesh – good omen, meaning he will become a village official
…..bringing in cattle – good omen, dreamer will evangelize the spirit of the community
…..plunging into cold waters – good omen, indicating absolution of all ills
…..with his face in a mirror – bad omen, meaning a new life
…..uncovering his own backside – bad omen, he will become an orphan
…..putting one’s face to the ground – bad omen, meaning the dead want something
…..making love to his wife in daylight – bad omen, his god will discover his misdeeds

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/dream.htm
TPWMH
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya,
I learned years ago how to wake myself up from disturbing dreams, as for controling the content, I can a little bit.
Regarding being woken up from a really good dream, yep had that happen a few times, very annoying when I was dreaming about a young woman and.....well you guess the rest Shocked then it's back to reality Crying or Very sad
Oh, by the way, the knights have gone now but the bl***y Vikings have turned up and keep singing about tinned meat products.
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read that the interpretations were based on puns, like if you dreamt of a donkey you would be promoted, (the ancient Egyptian word for 'donkey' is aa and the word for 'to be promoted' was saa. There are others but I can't remember off the top of my head.

TPWMH wrote:
Quote:
Regarding being woken up from a really good dream, yep had that happen a few times, very annoying when I was dreaming about a young woman and.....well you guess the rest then it's back to reality

That's happeened to me ssoo many times!!! Laughing just kidding.

Okay, I'm reading from my book now:
It says The Dream Book of Qenherkhepshef was discovered at Deir el-Medina and is written is tabular form. Some more examples are:

If a man sees himself in a dream burying an old man;good;this means flourishing.

..shod with white sandals;bad;this means roamng the earth.
..copulating with a woman;bad;this means mourning.
..his bad catching in fire;bad;this means driving away his wife.

The other punned dream interpretation is if you dream of a harp means something evil would happen to the person in question because the word for 'harp' was benet and the word for 'evil' was bint.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TPWMH wrote:
Quote:
It was worth joining this site just to read these posts. I like the freindliness and liking for a good laugh.
By the way, what can I do with a parrot who's pining for the fijords? I keep hitting mine but he won't shut up moaning. As for those bl***y knights who say 'Ni' ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Oh, goody, another Monty Python fan!

Sometimes my boss makes me feel just like that knight who gets chopped to pieces and lies there flopping on the ground...I'm coming apart at the seams but refuse to give into him! Twisted Evil

You'll find lots of joking and laughter here, TPWMH. We enjoy one another and learn from one another, and have fun along the way. Those types who take themselves too seriously and want to preach to everyone else, do not seem to last long here. I occasionally find them at other forums later on, but I've yet to find another forum that measures up to Egyptian Dreams! Wink

Daniella wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, you'll find yourself chuckling quite a bit here, learning should be fun!

Very well put, girl! Very Happy How true.

Quote:
The other punned dream interpretation is if you dream of a harp means something evil would happen to the person in question because the word for 'harp' was benet and the word for 'evil' was bint.TPWMH

These are very interesting examples of dream intepretations you and anneke provided. I don't know much about how dreams were seen in ancient Egypt, but these examples remind me of how the ancients used puns and the like to reference sex and other "delicate" issues in the hieroglyphic inscriptions and reliefs on their tomb walls.

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: