Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An Egyptian Dream
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought puns were a relatively modern concept...but it's interesting to see their interpretations. I did read somewhere, not sure how true it is, but it said the Egyptians thought they could get messages from the gods or visit the underworld briefly in dreams.

I had an Egyptian dream last night, something about it was quite scary though-it was about these girls and they had this 'evil curse' on them...anyway, the dream also mentioned that the girls would use powdered minerals which were white or yellow on their faces as make up. Did the Egyptians do such a thing? (in my dream it seemed weird because the powder made them look really pale or ghostly, it didn't match the skin tone) and did the really rich Egyptians ever use gold powder as a cosmetic product, like face powder or highlighting/shimmer powder or bronzer? I think Daniella, the make up expert, may help to answer this.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...the girls would use powdered minerals which were white or yellow on their faces as make up. Did the Egyptians do such a thing? (in my dream it seemed weird because the powder made them look really pale or ghostly, it didn't match the skin tone) and did the really rich Egyptians ever use gold powder as a cosmetic product, like face powder or highlighting/shimmer powder or bronzer? I think Daniella, the make up expert, may help to answer this.

I don't know that women used white mascara, and you're right, Daniella might be the one to know. Unfortunately she said her goodbies and has left Egyptian Dreams. We'll miss her.

White mascara could be produced easily enough from limestone, chalk, gypsum, or other such minerals, but every time I try to think of it I picture Queen Victoria. Shocked I'm not certain it's something the Egyptians did. Yellows could be produced form ochres and iron oxides, but I'm not sure about that, either. I'm quite sure, though, that they didn't use gold powder for this purpose.

So, when you woke up from your dream, did you have a white-painted face with gold sparkles? Now that would be creepy! Surprised

Visit my blog!
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I didn't say it was mascara (ie for eyelashes) but face powder. I have seen one documentary where this Egyptian queen applied sparkly gold powder to her arms and cheeks, it was like the highlighting/sparkly powder used by women today to give a nice sheen to the skin. They had something similar in the Mummy movies (the guards were painted with gold), but I don't know. I thought the only make up they used was eyeliner, and henna lipstick, blusher and nail colour. One person said they used a kind of mineral paint as 'sunscreen', but I'm not sure. I've not seen any evidence of that.
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Unfortunately she said her goodbies and has left Egyptian Dreams. We'll miss her.

How could I leave Egyptian Dreams? I'm sorry, I'm not going to leave after all, all of the other ones, yes, but here, no.

Now, I havn't read anything about gold body shimmer, but I wouldn't say that they didn't use it. They did use gold-leafing on sculptures and such, so maybe they could of sprinkled some flakes on their bodoes, I don't know. But the white powder, they did use all over the face, I believe it was made from limestone or some kind of chalk, maybe?

They used the same thing on their eyelashes as their eyes- khol (galena). They also used green malachite (lead ore from copper) as eyeliner too and red ochre for their cheeks and lips.
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't think they used white powder on the face. I don't think it would match their skin tone so it would make their faces look ashy and ghostly, I've never seen this in any Egyptian painting or statue. They had the material for it (chalk) but I don't think they would have lightened their skin with white powder. That was more of a Roman or Elizabethan thing.

I thought they used henna on the cheeks and lips?
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I thought they used henna on the cheeks and lips?

They used both, maybe at different time periods, maybe.
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I can't remember where I read about henna being used on cheeks (so I'm not 100% sure about that), but they did use it on lips and the white face paint comes from cerussite (lead carbonate). I know, it sounds weird that they would want to paint their faces with a colour much, much lighter than their own skin, but appartently they did. Perhaps it was because white is the colour of purification.
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cerrusite - not what we would call healthy, but they may have been using it as a kind of sunblock. And probably a mistype, but malachite is just a copper carbonate hydroxide. It's one of my favorite minerals. Very Happy I just love that color of green. What can I say?

And I'm glad you're not leaving, Daniella!

Diorite
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really surprised all that lead make up didn't eventually poison them! I know during the Renaissance and Elizabethan times in Europe they used lead make up and it slowly poisoned them and drove them insane...do you think the white powder, if it was used in Egypt, could have been like sunscreen? You know how sports players use white sunscreen? Maybe this was similar? I've not seen any white faced depictions of Egyptians though, lots of eyeshadow and red lips but no white faces-unless you mean the paler representations of women?

For some reason, that dream really scared me-i woke up, terrified and confused. There was an evil presence over those girls in the dream, there was a freak storm (not just the usual sandstorm) which was caused by this curse, that the girls were trying to break the curse-and I woke up, shaking. Ah well, blame it on too many movies!
Usually I love my Egyptian dreams though...one of them was about watching the pyramids being built. It was really amazing, there were no slaves, the people actually seemed to enjoy the work, because they were doing it 'for the gods' and this made them happy. I was next to one of the overseers, he was really handsome and he was a priest of one of the gods, and was chanting and praying. Now that was a lovely dream...
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For some reason, that dream really scared me-i woke up, terrified and confused.

I know what you mean, sometimes I will describe a dream to someone and they'll be like "that doesn't sound scary", but to you, it really was, I mean you wake up sweating and just absolutely terrified and it's hard to get back to sleep.

Your other dream sounds really nice, I guess you could say the priest was...dreamy? get it? DREAMy!! I crack myself up.
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreamy is the right word. Very Happy

One of the weirdest dream experiences was when I astral travelled to the Isis temple. I dreamt about being in this temple and feeling the sun on my skin, the golden stone surroundings, the columns, the Nile...it was so vivid and real. This wasn't ancient Egypt though, because there were tourists everywhere, but it wasn't too crowded. Soon after, I saw photos of the temple and had deja vu...it was like I really was there in spirit!
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the first times I went to Egypt, I had an experience that was a bit stange, to say the least! It was not really a dream--I was wide awake.
We had gone to Amarna, and (at that time) very little excavation work had been done. We went up to the Northern tombs--access to them had just been improved, so the walk up the cliff was easy. After exploring the tombs a while, I sat down on a big rock just outside one (to rest!) and was admiring the vista--you could see for miles and miles--the Nile was Iin the far distance--and it was completely barren, out over what was to be the Northern Palace dig. There wasn't another person visable--it was as if I was completely alone in the world. Maybe it was just the heat...maybe it was my active imagination...but my vision started to "waver", and I began to see shodowy figures down on the plan. As I watched, more and more "shadows" became visable, until there were throngs of these shadowy beings! I thought to myself "Wow! These are the souls of the people who used to live here". It was quite an experience! Shocked
I've often wondered since then just what it was I saw!
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it was a mirage? Or maybe something more...supernatural? ooh...

I'd love to have a spooky experience if I go to Egypt!
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniella wrote:
Quote:
How could I leave Egyptian Dreams? I'm sorry, I'm not going to leave after all, all of the other ones, yes, but here, no.

Well, I'm very glad you're sticking around! I hadn't even noticed until now that you're using a new Avatar--I really like this one. I go over to that other forum now and then but I don't like it much either. It's a nice occasional diversion but it lacks substance. I prefer Egyptian Dreams, too. Much more scholarly and the people much more level headed and enjoybale. Very Happy

Quote:
One of the first times I went to Egypt, I had an experience that was a bit stange, to say the least! It was not really a dream--I was wide awake.

I would guess heat exhaustion. Surprised

Just kidding. Sounds like quite the experience. Other people with whom I've spoken have told me about similarly weird experiences they've had at ancient sites around the world. I'd love to have something like that happen to me.

Gee, I feel so left out.

Visit my blog!
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a doozy of a dream last night and just knew I had to share it with all of my friends at Egyptian Dreams. This will give you folks a glimpse into how my mind works, I suppose.

I dreamt that I was a world-famous Egyptologist. I was on very good terms with the Egyptian government, to the point that they let me take home whatever I wanted from my digs. I had so many mummies sitting around that I decided to throw out some of them, and from my dream I can still freshly remember a huge garbage bag with bits and pieces of mummies sticking out of it. Surprised

That's not all, though. I guess I was too famous in my dream, because there was a woman stalking me. She was very attractive but absolutely nuts, and scared the hell out of me. In my dream I lay down to go to bed in the darkness, and next thing I know I can feel her in the bed tightly spooning with me.

I woke up just short of a scream, and burst out laughing here in my apartment at 3:00 in the morning.

My only question is, what in the hell did I eat to bring this on? Surprised Surprised Surprised

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: