Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An Egyptian Dream
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
I woke up just short of a scream, and burst out laughing here in my apartment at 3:00 in the morning.

LOL I can imagine you may have even muttered something to the effect of: "where on earth did that come from?"

kmt_sesh wrote:
My only question is, what in the hell did I eat to bring this on? Surprised Surprised Surprised

And will you be eating the same for the next couple of evenings? Laughing
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Laughing That's a pretty weird dream! I mean, why would you throw out the mummies? I think that the mummies represent the feeling of being trapped in a situation, or that you are not being heard. The garbage bags and the fact that you are throwing away something symbolizes you wanting to quit bad habits and feeling the need to change your old ways.

To see a woman in your dream, represents nurturance, passivity, caring nature, and love. It refers to your own female aspects or may also represent your mother. Alternatively, it may indicate temptation and guilt.

To dream that you are being stalked, indicates difficulties and problems which you are not confronting. Your avoidance of these problems is not making them go away. If you are being stalked in real life, then this fear may be carried over into your dream state.

To see your bed in your dream, represents you intimate self and discovery of your sexuality. If you are sleeping in your own bed, then it denotes security and restoration of your mind.

To dream that you are going to bed with a stranger, suggests that you are making friends too fast. You need to be more cautious.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice interpretations, Daniella. Let's break them down, because some of them are weirdly accurate.

Quote:
I think that the mummies represent the feeling of being trapped in a situation, or that you are not being heard. The garbage bags and the fact that you are throwing away something symbolizes you wanting to quit bad habits and feeling the need to change your old ways.

They just looked like mummies in a big old Hefty bag to me. But I do feel trapped in my job, I don't mind saying. I very much love what I do (graphic design), but I very much hate the place where I do it and the boss who's in charge. It's been especially bad lately. Hmm, so maybe you're on to something.

Quote:
To see a woman in your dream, represents nurturance, passivity, caring nature, and love. It refers to your own female aspects or may also represent your mother. Alternatively, it may indicate temptation and guilt.

But what kind of woman? This woman was attractive, but that's hardly enough because she was a creepy basket case. She was frightening, kind of like those women who break into a celebrity's home. Didn't that happen to David Letterman? Anyway, there was nothing nurturing here...more a sense of hostility and negativity.

Quote:
To dream that you are being stalked, indicates difficulties and problems which you are not confronting.

Again, the job...and my odd reluctance to take the steps to find a new one?

Quote:
If you are being stalked in real life, then this fear may be carried over into your dream state.

I'm not nearly that interesting. Sad

Quote:
To see your bed in your dream, represents you intimate self and discovery of your sexuality. If you are sleeping in your own bed, then it denotes security and restoration of your mind.

The latter is certainly true. Even in my dream I felt all cozy and secure, then--BAM, my stalker is wrapped around me. Quite scary stuff. What I didn't originally say was that before I started laughing, I was trapped in that odd half-awake state and swear I could "feel" her clutching to me for a good five seconds or so.

Quote:
To dream that you are going to bed with a stranger, suggests that you are making friends too fast. You need to be more cautious.

I wasn't going to bed with her; she was going to bed with me. How rude! Surprised

Visit my blog!
Diorite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a sort of Egyptian dream the other night. It seems in celebration of the Tut exhibit, some store was selling reproductions of some of the artifacts. I was going to buy something, but when I looked at what they were selling I thought, "Those aren't Egyptian!" Laughing It was tawdry junk, not reconstructions.

Diorite
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Diorite. Most of the objects offered for the public in the gift shop plays on the (usually wrong) concept of ancient Egypt. I think the item I saw that was the apex of tacky was the box of See's candy, shaped like the gold coffinette!
There ARE good reproductions of many of the things in the exhibit, but most of it is junk with a capital "J".
I was quite un-impressed by the exhibit as a whole, though. Most of the items were very interesting to see, but the presentation was too theatrical for me! Oh, and the repro of Tut's head that was the center of the protests--it has been removed from the exhibit on Hawass' orders. He said that the exhibit was a showcase for ancient Egyptian art, not an art gallery! He said the reconstruction was "too problimatic".
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, okay I think I've got it, I know what your dream means kmt_sesh.

Now let's start with the fact that the woman was scary, that indicates that you are experiencing self-doubt and feelings of incompetence. You may be feeling a lack of control. Also you could be feeling angry in your awake life.

The fact that she is attractive may be because the thing that you are feeling is holding you back is good in a physical way, like the suface is attractive, it's what's underneath that's scary.

The fact that she is holding you tightly denotes that you feel confined and restricted in a job, career, health, or a personal relationship.

Now since she has pretty much invaded your privacy represents your need to be more assertive. Stand up for yourself and let your voice be known.
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you get all these dream interpretations from Daniella? I've not heard of them...are they from a book, a website? I'd like to analyse my wild nighttime visions and see what they all mean...

I have been having increasing 'visions' of ancient Egypt in my dreams, but usually they are a bit blurry, which means they are probably not past life flashbacks! And also because they are pretty inconsistent with the normal views of ancient Egypt, for example, some of the Egyptians in my dreams have hairstyles that are not 'ancient Egyptian' such as wavy long hair, or short hair (they all have dark hair and brown skin though in my dreams), and also the white face powder-I know Daniella says they did have such a thing, and I don't want to doubt her, but i haven't seen any evidence-pictorial or otherwise, for it...and a lot of them wear peasant type clothes...why can't I have more dreams about the posher, wealthier Egyptians! Laughing
I dream about the common folk of ancient Egypt in a busy town doing daily business in the narrow dusty streets-I've had several 'mini-dreams' about this. I once had a dream about a princess though who fell in love with a peasant boy. And another dream about a young Egyptian princess who I had a 'spiritual connection' with and she was going to return to the future to prevent the world from ending!!! And then there's the pyramid building dream. I also dream about the gods a lot. Isis, Osiris, Horus, Bastet, Ra and the rest of the godly gang regularly pop up in dreams. One of those dreams was slightly religiously controversial, in fact...

And I have a lot of dreams where I go to modern Egypt on holidays-I go to Cairo and the pyramids-in fact, in my dreams I can get to those places by bus!!! Laughing
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, some of it I just have in my head from months of studying my own deams, but the rest of it comes from the web sit www.dreammoods.com. It's a dream dictionary type thingy.

Quote:
And also because they are pretty inconsistent with the normal views of ancient Egypt, for example, some of the Egyptians in my dreams have hairstyles that are not 'ancient Egyptian' such as wavy long hair, or short hair (they all have dark hair and brown skin though in my dreams), and also the white face powder-I know Daniella says they did have such a thing, and I don't want to doubt her, but i haven't seen any evidence-pictorial or otherwise, for it

Well, this may be because you often like to prove alot of people wrong about some things about ancient Egypt and maybe you just have an urge to make everything different, or defy whats right, or make everything a misconception...um...I don't know..and the white face powder thing has actually been found on some mummies...but anyways, that's just my view on it, basically I just think you like to prove people wrong too much...oh and by the way who says that the ancient Egyptians didn't have short hair? some of them could have.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osiris II wrote:
Quote:
I think the item I saw that was the apex of tacky was the box of See's candy, shaped like the gold coffinette!

You think that's bad, Osiris II? In our gift shop at the Field Museum we sell a tissue dispenser with the motif of Tut's gold burial mask. You put the dispenser over a regular-sized box of Kleenix and pull the tissues out his nose! Worse yet...I feel a strange urge to buy one. Shocked

Daniella wrote:
Quote:
Now since she has pretty much invaded your privacy represents your need to be more assertive. Stand up for yourself and let your voice be known.

Lord, isn't that the truth! It's the whole job thing again. I tend to let people walk all over me, especially my boss. I'll get very cross and vocal with him sometimes, but he doesn't seem to listen. You're quite sharp at interpreting dreams.

Quote:
...and by the way who says that the ancient Egyptians didn't have short hair? some of them could have.

Of course they could. Some mummies still have their hair, and it comes in all lengths and styles. We must not allow ourselves to suffer from tunnel vision and imagine that every single Egyptian had beautiful long flowing hair decorated with beads. Even for those Egyptians for whom it was customary to shave the head, it was common for them to let it grow out again to a certain length before cutting it anew, so at some point many people--men and women, boys and girls--walked around with very short hair. Many of the wigs are fashioned from human hair, and at least some of it may have come from the hair allowed to grow out before it was cut.

But why are you so hard on isisinacrisis? In all the times I've shared discussions with her (and there have been many), I've never once felt like she was trying to prove me wrong. In fact, I find her to be just as open minded and level headed as you are.

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Lord, isn't that the truth! It's the whole job thing again. I tend to let people walk all over me, especially my boss. I'll get very cross and vocal with him sometimes, but he doesn't seem to listen. You're quite sharp at interpreting dreams.

That's too bad. Well, stand up for yourself, man! Don't let anybody break your pride, you'll find people giving you a great deal of respect the moment you speak up.

Quote:
But why are you so hard on isisinacrisis? In all the times I've shared discussions with her (and there have been many), I've never once felt like she was trying to prove me wrong.

I don't think that I was being hard on her, I was just trying to give my thoughts on her dream. Her being critical isn't a bad thing, I just think that she is....inquisitive. Sorry if I have offended you, kmt_sesh.

Quote:
I find her to be just as open minded and level headed as you are.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't think that I was being hard on her, I was just trying to give my thoughts on her dream. Her being critical isn't a bad thing, I just think that she is....inquisitive. Sorry if I have offended you, kmt_sesh.

I certainly wasn't offended. Very Happy I guess I just read the tone of your post incorrectly.

If I have any more weird dreams about being a famous Egyptologist, I'm coming right to you for answers, girl. You're kind of like my medium, I guess.

Visit my blog!
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops. i made a little important omission in my last post Embarassed I meant that it was the women in my dream that had the short hairstyles. For men, I know it was the norm to have short hair or shaven heads-but some of one the ladies in my dreams had very short cropped hair (shorter than ear length) and it was curly with little plaits sticking out here and there-possibly influenced by modern hair styles seen when awake? Or maybe she was someone from outside Egypt who had decided to mingle with the locals? I don't know if the women with shaved heads actually flaunted them publicly, or always wigged them up. I think it's a common misconception that all ancient Egyptians had perfectly straight raven black hair (as some people died their hair red with henna, I'm sure I've seen pictures of mummies with wavy hair, and so on...) of course, many of them wore wigs, but I'm sure a lot of people kept their hair too.

Back to the subject at hand...

Critical? Sometimes. Inquisitive? Of course. Questioning? All the time? You people arouse my curiosity. Yes, I can get annoying at times. A bit blunt and assertive, sometimes I rant a bit, but Egyptology's a topic that's full of stuff to debate and lots of questions are raised.

But I don't 'debunk' the common view of ancient Egypt, ok? I don't think 'everything is a misconception', alright? I'm not a pyramidiot or one of those crackpots who thinks all Egyptologists are wrong and outdated. I just ask questions. But I do tend to debunk the misconceptions of the average person who is not as learned on the subject and who only thinks of ancient Egypt in terms of how it is portrayed in mummy movies (and those people who think the pyramids were built by aliens or whatever)...but please don't start reading too much into my mannerisms and questioning ways to criticise me and misunderstand me. Daniella, I'm not against you, so please don't think that I am.

Oh, and another important thing. I'm going away on a little vacation, I'm not sure if I'll have internet access but if not, I'll be back on the 6th/7th. So I won't be there to bug you lot constantly, so you can rest easy. Very Happy
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember the short Nubian wigs popular with women in the Amarna period. Women are shown with hair maybe slightly below their ears.
And in the old kingdom there are a lot of women shown with short cropped hair. I think there may even be some in the hathor festval picture I posted.

Quote:
Critical? Sometimes. Inquisitive? Of course. Questioning? All the time? You people arouse my curiosity. Yes, I can get annoying at times. A bit blunt and assertive, sometimes I rant a bit, but Egyptology's a topic that's full of stuff to debate and lots of questions are raised.

Asking questions keeps the discussion going. Not believing everything you hear is a sign of intelligence Very Happy

The annoying part? Was I not here when that happened? Laughing I have never found you annoying.

Have fun on your vacation Isisinacrisis Very Happy We will miss you....
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
some people died their hair red with henna

Yes, but remember that henna didn't make hair red, unless the hair was really light. But, since the Egyptians had naturally black to dark brown hair, the henna just adds a touch of...well, a burgundy shine.

And on the back of King Tutankhamen's thrown, Ankhesenamen is wearing short crimped or pleated wig (or it could be her real hair, I don't know). Well, I don't know if that's the 'short' your talking about, but I consider that short.

Well isisinacrisis, I really hope you have alot of fun on your little vacation! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isisinacrisis wrote:
Quote:

Very well said...except for the annoying part, because you've never once annoyed me.

Quote:
I'm not a pyramidiot

Heck no! Not even close...not even in the same universe. And if anyone ever says so I'll duel them with Egyptian fighting sticks or fly whisks!

Quote:
I just ask questions.

That fact alone makes me think of you as one of the most intelligent and enlightened people at ED.

Have a fun vacation, isisinacrisis. Send us all a post card!

Quote:
Remember the short Nubian wigs popular with women in the Amarna period. Women are shown with hair maybe slightly below their ears.

That style of wig is seen in statuary at least as far back as the Middle Kingdom. I haven't seen any farther back than that, but that doesn't mean Nubian wigs aren't even older. Granted, the examples I'm thinking of are typically men, so I don't know when women adapted to them.

Daniella wrote:
Quote:
Yes, but remember that henna didn't make hair red, unless the hair was really light. But, since the Egyptians had naturally black to dark brown hair, the henna just adds a touch of...well, a burgundy shine.

That's an interesting point. It's very helpful to have you here, so I'm glad you decided to stick around, Daniella. As a guy I wouldn't have even thought of how henna might affect someone with dark hair. What about someone with gray hair, like an older person?

Incidentally, I had another dream last night about Egypt, but unfortunately I can't remember anything about it. It's one of those things when you wake up knowing the topic about which you've dreamed but can't remember a single detail about it. How irritating. I doubt it was as interesting as the dream from the other night, anyway. The only thing I remember about my dreams last night is that for some reason I threw a grenade at someone, and when it exploded nothing came out but a bunch of colorful confetti. Shocked My mind is very, very strange, isn't it?

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: