Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you could visit 19th dynasty Thebes, where would you go?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
imanobody
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: If you could visit 19th dynasty Thebes, where would you go? Reply with quote

Lets say that you were allowed to travel back in time to the 19th dynasty and visit Thebes for one day, but you could only visit one spot. Where would you go? To make things interesting, let's try to keep it to a building or very small area. When I say Thebes I mean the city, the Necropolis, VOTK, VOTQ, Deir El-Medina, and Deir El-Bahri.

I know some of you would think that I would visit Nefertari's tomb (though, technically, she wouldn't be dead then). On the contrary, it would be a toss-up between Hatshepsut's mortuary temple or temple of Amun, because they both look so splendid. But since I could only pick one, I would probably go with Hatshepsut's temple because I heard it was a incredibly beautiful back then.

I thought about making this a poll, but then I started to think of all the places you could visit and it became really apparent that there were way too many for a poll.
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it would definately be Deir el-Medina! To meet the people that worked on the tombs, would be incredible. Wink

P.S. love the new avatar. Very Happy

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
Smenkare
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I dont know. Tough choice.

Well It would be between, the temlple of Amun, Hatshepsut's temple, Gempaaten temple, or the royal palace.

I might actually choose the pharaoh's palace, whichever one was there at the time, because no palaces have been found intact. And I would love to see how the pharaoh lived!!
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brain doesn't work today but...who was in the 19th dynasty? I know the 18th is the big famous one with Tut and Akhenaten etc, but I'm not familiar with the 19th (I'm more familiar with pharaoh's names than their dynasty numbers). Embarassed

I always thought there was at least one pharaoh's palace still intact in Egypt...it's odd that there are none left?
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isisinacrisis wrote:
My brain doesn't work today but...who was in the 19th dynasty?

Ramses I
Seti I
Ramses II
Merenptah
Amenmesse
Seti II
Siptah
Queen Twosret

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
imanobody
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 19th dynasty had Seti I and Ramesses II, and a bunch more, but those are the most famous ones. It is considered, by many, to be the peak of the Empire, that is why I choose it. Nefertari had nothing to do with it.... I swear!
Anxious
I didn't pick the 18th dynasty because eveyone would say Armana, but, unlike Thebes, there is little known about it. Plus I'm not a big fan of Aten boy. Laughing
imanobody
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang, you beat me to it DOS Embarassed
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that was the famous Rameses dynasty! Thanks!

yeah, I'm not too big on Akhenaten either (sorry Amarna lovers! I agree that it's interesting and I'm still open to learn more about it though!)
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see the palace and government buildings. That would be quite interesting. I would also check out Malqata, the palace originally built by Amenhotep III. It would have still been there and the decorations of the place must have been quite a sight to see. It may have even still been in use.

And could I please take a side trip to Memphis, Heliopolis and Pi-Ramesse? Laughing

Those places must have been "hopping" during the 19th dynasty. Palaces, temples etc galore. And some of them brand spanking new too.
Robson
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to follow the King's Bodily Son and High Priest of Ptah Khaemwaset in his works of restoration all over the country.

ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not read much on this time period, so...um, do tombs count? There is one I think is quite fascinating. If it has to be Thebes, then I guess I am at a total loss.
Smenkare
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
I would like to see the palace and government buildings. That would be quite interesting. I would also check out Malqata, the palace originally built by Amenhotep III. It would have still been there and the decorations of the place must have been quite a sight to see. It may have even still been in use.

That would be interesting!!! I really want to see a palace. I mean temples and tombs we have but the splendid palaces of the pharaoh's are all but lost.

Also The tomb of Rameses II would have been quite the spectacle if we could find a way in.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I asked before I think but why are there no palaces left when all the temples and tombs are still remaining? I know, dumb question, but I find it really surprising. Maybe these were less fortunate and were much more ruined than temples? Maybe they were built with a different kind of stone which is more fragile? It's a shame really because back in the day those were such important buildings and they must have been really impressive.
Smenkare
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isisinacrisis wrote:
I know I asked before I think but why are there no palaces left when all the temples and tombs are still remaining? I know, dumb question, but I find it really surprising. Maybe these were less fortunate and were much more ruined than temples? Maybe they were built with a different kind of stone which is more fragile? It's a shame really because back in the day those were such important buildings and they must have been really impressive.

Well the palaces were primarilly built of baked mud bricks. Being definaltely not a lasting as stone that the bricks slowly disintigrated as is happening in the ruins of Amarna. Also the reason Amenhoteb III mortuary temple has been so much destroyed. He built it largely from mud brick which disintegrated leaving his temple a mess, which later kings pilfered of any remaining stone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: