Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old glassmaking site foound

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Old glassmaking site foound Reply with quote

Quote:
One of oldest glassmaking sites found in Egypt

WASHINGTON (AFP) - British and German archaeologists have found an ancient glassworks in Egypt, believed to date back to around 1250 BC, according to a study published in Science magazine.

The site, at Qantir-Piramesses on the eastern Nile Delta, suggests that Mesopotamia may not have been the sole cradle of glassmaking from raw material, say the study's authors, British archeologist Thilo Rehren, of University College London, and German colleague Edgar Pusch, of the Pelizaeus Museum in Hildesheim, Germany.

The artifacts discovered at the site suggest that raw materials -- quartz powder mixed with carbonate and other ingredients -- was first partially reheated in recipients possibly made from recycled beer jars.

In a second phase the glass was tinted, often red by using copper, and heated in special crucibles then transformed into round ingots then exported to other workshops to be reheated and made into decorative objects.

Often they became perfume jars and containers for other liquids, said the archaeologists.

A British archaeologist from the University of Sheffield, Caroline Jackson, said the discovery was "highly significant."

She said the trade of glass probably played an important role in political changes of the Near East, Middle East and Mediterranean during the late Bronze age.

The site "Qantir-Piramesses on the eastern Nile Delta" and the time period (1250 BC) would place the glass making site during the reign of Ramses II.

There's glassware in the 18th dynasty right? I though they had found glass object dating to Amenhotep III, Akhenaten etc.
Did they think these were imported then.

Is Piramesses the same place where they found the royal stables?
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the name you gave this new thread: "Old glassmaking site foound."

Is that your imitation of a Scottish accent? Very Happy

Sorry. Couldn't resist. I keep picturing Mel Gibson standing on a grassy hill and raising his kilt to show us his bum.

Very interesting article. I'd also always read that the Mesopotamians were the first to use glass ornamentally, but like you I've read of glass examples far before the time of Ramesses II. So maybe you're right--earlier examples had always been considered imports. This will cause them to rethink glass production in the ancient Near East.

Quote:
Is Piramesses the same place where they found the royal stables?

I believe that's right. I think it was in the 1980s that excavators unearthed the remains of military barracks, but some people now think that at least some of these barracks were in fact stables. Does that sound familiar? I'm not 100% sure.

Visit my blog!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
I like the name you gave this new thread: "Old glassmaking site foound."
Is that your imitation of a Scottish accent? Very Happy

LOL Yeah that's it.... A scottish accent... (Nice of you to provide a "reason" for my typos Smile )

kmt_sesh wrote:
Sorry. Couldn't resist. I keep picturing Mel Gibson standing on a grassy hill and raising his kilt to show us his bum.

That scene really made me laugh. Imagine mooning the entire British army Very Happy

kmt_sesh wrote:
Very interesting article. I'd also always read that the Mesopotamians were the first to use glass ornamentally, but like you I've read of glass examples far before the time of Ramesses II. So maybe you're right--earlier examples had always been considered imports. This will cause them to rethink glass production in the ancient Near East.

I found the article interesting as well. (Did expect you to bemoan the use of the beer jars for other purposes Smile )
It's always possible that the pretty intense contact (nice euphemism for war) between the area also resulted in the exchange of arts and crafts.

kmt_sesh wrote:
I believe that's right. I think it was in the 1980s that excavators unearthed the remains of military barracks, but some people now think that at least some of these barracks were in fact stables. Does that sound familiar? I'm not 100% sure.

I don't remember the military baracks. That would be interesting as well. With the wars with the Hittites there must have been these cities that served as a station for soldiers as well as horses. The whole army must have been a pretty big organization.

It even took them a while to locate Piramesse if I remember correctly. Is this the one that seems the be built on or near the site of Avaris? Or is that Pithom?
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It even took them a while to locate Piramesse if I remember correctly. Is this the one that seems the be built on or near the site of Avaris? Or is that Pithom?

Now I'm confused! Confused I always get those two mixed up, Piramesses and Pithom. I think it's the latter. They thought for the longest time that it was Piramesses because so much of the inscribed stone from Piramesses was relocated there later on for building projects.

Or was that Tanis?

Have I succeeded in confusing everyone else, now?

Visit my blog!
Diorite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not confused. We're at some site in the Eastern Delta near one of the former main distributaries. Some of us are uninformed enough about the stuff that's all we really can understand at this point... Smile But we're working on it.

Diorite
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Some of us are uninformed enough about the stuff that's all we really can understand at this point... But we're working on it.

Well, I'm supposed to know this stuff, so I looked it up. Very Happy The ruins at Tanis led early researchers and historians to identify it mistakenly as Piramesse. The latter was actually located at the modern Qantir.

The earliest building at Tanis dates to Psusennes I (21st Dynasty), though I'd forgotten that blocks dating all the way back to the Old Kingdom were used in this city's construction. Talk about recycling! This map will show you where Tanis is.

Pithom was located near modern Ismalia, which you can see on this map at far right, just outside the green area of the eastern Delta. For a bit of useless trivia, the modern word "Pithom" is a corruption of pr-'itm, "the house of Atum."

On the same map, a short distance west of Ismalia, is the modern town of Faqus; north of there is Qantir (a.k.a. Khatana-Qantir, not pictured), and that's where Seti I and Ramesses II built the city called pr-r'-mss, "the house of Ramesses," the biblical Piramesse.

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: