Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ancient Egyptian TV series on DVD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thoth
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:04 am    Post subject: Ancient Egyptian TV series on DVD Reply with quote

First off, I'm not sure of the name, but UK people at least should remember not-so-long-ago Channel Four was showing a docu-drama series on ancient Egypt. I think that might have just been its name... Ancient Egypt, or something simple like that. Anyway, I was out each time it was on so I missed it. But recently I read an ad in AE magazine that it was being released on DVD. I was just wondering, if anyone else saw it, if anyone thinks it is worth me buying, or at least renting? Is it good, accurate, etc?
"I stand like Horus. I sit like Ptah. I am strong like Thoth. Mighty like Tem. I walk with my legs. I speak with my mouth. I chase my enemy. He hath been given unto me, and he shall not be delivered from me."
Egyptian Book of the Dead
Thoth
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I looked up the ad, the series was called 'Ancient Egyptians' Smile
"I stand like Horus. I sit like Ptah. I am strong like Thoth. Mighty like Tem. I walk with my legs. I speak with my mouth. I chase my enemy. He hath been given unto me, and he shall not be delivered from me."
Ajaya
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I would say that its definately worth at least renting (I bought it personally).

The DVD version has four stories told over two discs:

* Episode One: The Battle of Megiddo - The struggle that gave birth to an empire.
* Episode Two: The Tomb Robber’s Tale - The great tomb robbing scandal of the 20th dynasty.
* Episode Three: Murder in the Temple - The greatest tragedy of Egypt’s Renaissance.
* Episode Four: The Twins’ Tale - Murder, betrayal and decadence in Egypt’s dying days.

All stories are taken from actual surviving papyrus. It appears not expense was spared in terms of authenticity as the 'Extras' on the discs demostrate; the TV series cost close to £5m to produce after all!

Definately worth it, Tomb Robbers (Paser et al) being my favourite episode.

For more info: Ancient Egyptians
Thoth
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, sounds quite good. I was worried it might just be another of those horrifically inaccurate 'Hollywood'-style series... didn't realise it was taken from actual Egyptian records. I'll look into it then, thanks Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: