Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I bought a book!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: I bought a book!!! Reply with quote

WOOOOOO, YEAH!!! RIGHT ON!!! BOOKS ROCK!!, I BAUGHT A BOOK!!!!

Anyways, sorry about that, I get a little excited when I buy things (I'm broke as f!@#)

The book I got is called Ancient Egypt (how origional, eh?) The authors are Lorna Oakes andLucia Gahlin, I can't wait to read it, it's so big and heavy, and the illustrations are so vivid..I'm so excited...and I just can't hide it....I'm about to lose control and I think I like it.....OH YEAH!!! Laughing
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that book and used it for research when creating the Egyptian Dreams (to get background information for some of the products). Smile As a general insight into Ancient Egypt I found it quite good. My only critism is that it doesn't really go into anything in any great detail. Having said that - it never claims to do so - I just could have done with more detailed info on each of the ancient Egyptian gods.

I think you will enjoy it though. I keep referring back to it from time to time.
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've noticed that it doesn't go into much detail, but it's just another to add to my small but growing collection. Very Happy
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finally got that book (Women in Ancient Egypt by gay Robins) in the mail the other day. Kmt_sesh recomended it to me and I'm quite impressed by it so far. Thanks John! Very Happy
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That book is really good. I quite like it myself.

If you order via the internet, then check out the following:
http://www.oxbowbooks.com/

They have a great selection of books about egyptian (and other) history.
Check out the sale they have on. Some of the books are discount quite a bit.
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks Anneke. I'm interested in a few books so far, but I'm a little unsure of which ones are good and which ones aren't so good, I don't want to waste my money, you know? Maybe you and Kmt_sesh can point me in the right direction?
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put together a list of favorite books:
http://forum.egyptiandreams.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=840

What books have you been thinking about buying? I may have some of them. If I read them I would be more than happy to talk about them and say if I think they were worth spending the dough for Very Happy
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I wanted a book about Akhanaten, so this one sounded good: Akhenaten: Egypt's False Prophet
by Nicholas Reeves

And this one I am interested in too:
Tutankhamen: Etenal Splendour of Boy Pharaoh
by T G H James

But I won't be ordering any for a while due to insufficient funds. Sad
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Reeves's book, but I have to say that I prefer Cyril Aldred's book.
I think Aldred's book is very well written.

I haven't read the book about Tut you mentioned.
My sister gave me Christine El Mahdi's book about Tut, and I like that one actually.
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've got that one (Christine El Mahdy's book) but there are missing pages so I'm giong to buy it again.
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Daniella, I 'am new member of this forum .
I have a couple of books about Tutankhamun and they are good. One is of Nicholas Reeves , the other is from Christiane Desroches-Noblecourt.
They handle about the tomb excavation, the treasures, his life and the other Amarna Kings as well.
I have also a book of Tutankhamuns's wardrobe, G.M. Vogelsang-Eastwood.This book handles about the textiles they found in his tomb. In the book are representations of replica's they made of his wardrobe for a exhibition in Sweden in 1999. In the book is a beautiful design layout of the front of the falcon tunic, his Amarna sashes , his Syrian tunic with sleeves, his loinclothes even one of the kings socks you see in this book.
One of the few garments from the tomb which is known to have been worn on a specific occasion is a child's tunic. It's decorated with bands of hieroglyph heb-sed, which means festival and is associated with the 'royal jubileƩ.
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a excavation report of a tomb from the reign of Tutankhamun, its a book from Boyo G. Ockinga , the Austalien centre for Egyptology : Reports 10.
The tomb is situated at Akhmim, Awlad Azzaz, and contained inscriptions with the name of Tutankhamun, there were two owners of the tomb. One of them was Sennedjem his title was "Overseer of Tutors",also he bore a number of other titles such as Prince, Count, Father of the God,beloved of the god,end so on. All of which points to his very high rank and status, also Administrator which in the New Kingdom is otherwise attested only with the famous Amenhotep , Son of Hapu and Tutankhamun's treasurer Maya. The other tomb owner was Senked, Overseer of Nurses. Both men fell in disgrace , but not because their relationship with Tutankhamun but with their relationship to Ay, they were probably family of him. These men were Tutankhamun's tutors . Very good book.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Australian Research Center puts out some good books.
I have one by Kanawati (but it deals with the 6th dynasty).

I may see if I can find that book by Ockinga you mentioned Rozette. I had heard about the tomb and it sounds very interesting. I didn't know these men may have been relatives of Aye.
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anneke,
The tomb can be securely dated to the reign of Tutankhamun; not only do his cartouches survive on the ceiling of the portico, where both nomen and prenomen are inscribed under the outstretched wings and arms of an unnamed goddess (probably Nut), but also very fragmentarily inside the pillared hall on the southern side of the entrance hall. In the book are many pictures and drawings of the wall scenes, pottery fragments and pictures from the coffin of Senked . This coffin was found in Saqqara in April 1994 , not so far from the tombs of Horemheb and Maya.The coffin was part of a burial of Ramesside date belonging to an Overseer of granaries Ray. The inscriptions on the coffin show clearly he was not the original owner, the coffin was originally intended for Senked. I will give you the ISBN nummer 0 85668 801 0 , published in England by Aris &Phillips Ltd. I have also The Amarna Age : Egypt Frederick J. Giles . The Australian Centre for Egyptology : Studies 6
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Very Happy I appreciate it.

That seems quite a haul to transport the sarcophagus from Akhmin to Saqqara. Saqqara became quite the New Kingdom necropolis. I wonder if Senked may have also had a tomb in Saqqara? Several high officials from the Amarna period seem to have relocated their tombs to Saqqara.

There is still quite a bit of excavations going on in Saqqara. Maybe we will hear more about this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: